Subwoofer recomendation

Username: Fritz1

Pierce, ID

Post Number: 2
Hi I am new to this forum and was wanting some help. I have a Dodge neon with 3 old school JL Audio W6's 10" subs in a sealed box wired to run 1 ohm and being powered by a Nakamichi PA-1500 watt amp, it is rated at 1200 watts RMS at 1 ohm. I am wanting more thunderous bass and the JL Audio's have clean tight bass, I am looking for loud car shaking bass. Does anyone here have any recomendations for a factory box and speaker set up that will do this for me, it cant be to big of a box, like I said it is for the trunk of a Neon. Would 1 12" Kicker solobaric L7 in there factory box have much more output than I already have?

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 913
What do you mean by "factory box"? like a prefab box you would buy off the internet? Or the box that kicker makes? Are you able/willing to make your own box? Or at least get one custom-made?

What is your budget for sub(s) and box?

Pierce, ID

Post Number: 3
Yeah I was lloking for something in a factory box like Kicker has or a prefab box off of the internet. I dont have the time or the knowledge to make my own, I would rather buy one already built. I am looking to spend about $350, maybe up to $400 for the subs and box.

I was looking at these, but I have to measure my trunk to see if they will fit.

http://www.amazon.com/Package-Subwoofers-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Terminals/dp/B006X73H86

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P2-2X12-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B004V9GRYE

Or this one. They are pretty cheap so I am skeptical about this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ12SQD4-Square-Woofer/dp/B0036B8UUM

With this box.
http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-DKS12-Square-Hole-Solo-Baric-Subwoofers/dp/B0031TW6OK

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1753
You cant have thunderous bass out of a cheap factory box, also you are underpowering your subs as well so likely not getting all out of them.

No ordinary 12" will overtake 3 10".

Pierce, ID

Post Number: 5
How am I under powering my subs? The original JL Audio W6's like I have are rated at 300 watts each and are a 6 ohm speaker. I have them wired to run 1 ohm. They should only need about 1000 watt amp at 1 ohm, my Nakamichi amp is 1200 watts at 1 ohm. Also the Nakamichi amp is under rated at 1200 watts, it is more like 1400 watts of clean power, more amp than these speakers can really handle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1754
Ok those must be the oldest of all, I checked and yes they were 300W. Those are SQ subs and are setup in sealed, rockford, kicker and such in ported won't sound nearly as clean.

So if they are doing rated+ it will be harder that a single 12" overtake them, if you have 17"h I would use a single Fi Q 15" DVC 2 ohm, in a custom box port/sub forward 3 cubes net, tuned to 30Hz to preserve sound quality. That would be a worthy upgrade.

Pierce, ID

Post Number: 8
How about 2 Sundown Audio SA-12's in a ported box? Or would a single 15 be better?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1757
Sa-12s are very loud subwoofers and can take 1K+ each, not sound quality subs though, Fi, ascendant audio, SSA are all high output SQ subs.

The sub I suggested would take 3 cubes net box, the sa 12s would take a 4 cubes net box. If box size is a factor.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 920
The 1x 15" has a cone area of 23.56 square inches. 3 cube box.
The 2x 12" have a cone area of 37.7 square inches. 4 cube box

OK, you say you want deep, thunderous bass...
Either set-up will be loud. Especially in a neon. It really comes down to preference. The 2x 12" will be "louder", as in DBs, but this is somewhat irrelavent when building a daily-listening, enjoyable setup. I am not familiar with either sub, but from what JOE said, the Fi Q sounds like a winner. I have heard nothing but good about this sub, and it will get plenty loud. just look at all the flex vids on youtube of it. And at 3 cubes, it should leave you a little space for a jug of milk or something. You should definately get a ported box, and there is a guy on here that can build and ship to you. Price can be negotiated
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us