Taking out back seat, need enclosure design help!! 4, 8, or 12 12s

Username: Pmena

Post Number: 3
Taking out back seat, need enclosure design help!! 4, 8, or 12 12s
I am getting a project for the winter and need some advice. I'm getting a 2000 Buick Century (or regal, not sure) for some work that I did and I want to build a system in it. I have 12 12" Kicker CVRs and 3 Autotek mono blocks (1200 watts RMS).

So I took out the back seat and have a total width of 54" to work with. I have 36" in height with a max depth of 19" or 34" in height with 29" depth to work with.

I'm trying to figure out would would be the loudest. I think I could manage to get all 12 in if I did them forward facing just would need to squeeze them in those 36" so they just wouldn't line up straight but could probably be getting around 1.5 cu ft each sealed

I'm thinking it would be louder if I built a wall with the 8 subs facing rear (4 on top and 4 on the bottom) with a port in the center to let the sound back into the cabin. The problem with this idea is that I've never done anything like this but would this be the loudest approach?

Another possibility was doing 8 subs ported forward facing (4 on top and 4 on bottom with horizontal slot ports meeting in the middle) Would this be louder?

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense and thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

I'm really trying to get the loudest I can with what I have to work with.

The wiring and electrical will all be put in to match the amps and subs I put in so thats not an issue.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1733
Download Torres calculator, just google it. this subs will need 2-2.25 cubes each and about 26 square inches of port each (if going ported).

Post Number: 4
If I'm doing a wall of 8 then does that mean that I just need a box between 16-18 cu ft with 208 sq in of port area?

Also do you think this would be louder than if I did 12 of them each with 1 cu ft sealed space (after displacement)?

Post Number: 6
If I'm doing a wall of 8 then does that mean that I just need a box between 16-18 cu ft with 208 sq in of port area?

Also do you think this would be louder than if I did 12 of them each with 1 cu ft sealed space (after displacement)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1735
The specs are about right. If you actually can fit that and seal it off properly, and impedance match with the amp properly and you have the electrical.. all that, it can easily take on a sealed setup of 2x number of subs, for loud, tuning 36Hz at least is the way to go with CVRs.

Post Number: 7
Does it make a difference if its one huge box with one huge port or if it has seperate chambers, each sub with its own port?

So 8 ported would be louder than 12 sealed (if in the right box).

Is there anybody that can help me design a box for cheap? Kind of just help with the dimensions?

Post Number: 8
Also, does the shape of the box make a difference? The measurements of the where the wall would be (34"x22"x54") I think come out to around 22 cu ft. But I think if I make the box L shaped, I can get another 8-10 cu ft of space.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1736
1) Separate chambers box have larger port displacement (and therefore larger box) than single chamber.

2) Yes.

3) Sketch the box and then use the program I told you about to tune the port.

Post Number: 9
Thanks alot Joe, downloading now
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us