15" options

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2665
Lookin for a nice 15 to run on about 1000 - 1200 rms. lookin at the Fi Bl but was curious if anything better was out there?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 537
The better sub depends on the space you have and the type of sound you are after, for example the BL is a SPL type of sub.

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2666
i know this already... Has anyone heard the BL and The IA Death penalty that could give me a good idea which one is better?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3567
i would buy fi over ia personally. haven't heard those subs though, sorry.

Silver Member

Post Number: 542
I have heard of them it's straight SPL stuff, I found this guy reviewing it:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-speaker-reviews/42436-incriminator-audi o-death-penalty-12-review.html

If you just want loud at any cost you have this and many other options. Fi is better stuff probably a BTL N312 and it will be still cheaper.

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2667
after doin some research i found that for an extra 100 bucks i can get a 15" Xcon with a sundown SAZ1500D. how would that compare to an Fi Q on an AQ 1200D?

Silver Member

Post Number: 553
The 15" XCON on a SAZ1500D will be hell louder, the 1500D can near the 1750RMS rating of the XCON and the XCON has almost 3 dB Senitivity over the Q, the AQ will optimistically near 1400.

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2668
anyone personally hear these that can through in a comparison?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3221
dont expect any more than 1200w out of the AQ, still a good amp tho for the money.

Bronze Member
Username: John253a

Aust.

Post Number: 89
Fi btl n318 on the 1500d
In a 4cuft ported
Is my choise

Just some food for though

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2669
what forum is everyone on now days cause this one obviously has gone way down hill from when i used to be on here

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14555
No there really aren't any "better" subs per se than an Fi. All Fi subs are hand built to order using some of the latest motor structure designs and high quality parts. You just don't do better than that.
You might find something slightly louder which is more an issue of sensitivity than build quality.

Look at the Fi SSD subs, too. Not solely SPL oriented, but a good all around workhorse of a sub for daily use.

Silver Member

Post Number: 567
You got it a.k.a. "J" but on the other hand it will be very hard to find in any forum someone that has heard those two specific configurations, and even then installation has such a big role on performance that opinions may not be that useful. I guess I like Fi better so what,

One thing that may be useful to you is that the XCONs work on bigger boxes tuned lower, if you don't have the space to have it working as intended better go other way.

Regarding the amps the Sundown takes enough energy to force you to upgrade electrical so if you don't want to bother the AQ power rating in some cars will fit stock electrical.

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2670
Is the fi Q really worth 100 more then the ssd? how big of a difference will there be ?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 17059
that IA Death penalty "review" is very misleading , IA says they do not rec those in a sealed box yet thats what he did , then he tested it in 3.5 cuft box tuned to 45hz , who tunes any musical tuned enclosure that high but he was really testing spl then gave a review based on how it sounded in those conditions

IA is not a "strictly spl" sub , i currently own a IA 10" 187 model & for a 300wrms sub it plays anything u throw at it whether it be high notes or low notes , i have mine tuned 28hz : the output & sq is amazing , its sounds louder than the 12" idmax i had in a sealed box b4

have heard their SQ model flatline & that sub has scored very high for sq comps , also heard their DP & DR , the output from IA subs is what makes them stand out & they sound great too

do a search on youtube & u will see alot of ppl are using IA now ...

Silver Member

Post Number: 612
It all depends on your taste and available space, SSA is deeper bass and big box, Both are SQ subs and I don't think you will be let down by any of them, they are comparable products.. you will find opinions in favor of both.

If you care about SQ you should pick a sub that optimizes in a box you can fit so you get a flat frequency response, low group delay as possible. Also a properly designed and damped box reduces resonances that can hurt SQ.

Now regarding the money you should factor in that a smaller enclosure is cheaper so the effective price difference is less than you may think.

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2671
Well i can do about 4 cubes so i have enough room to fit eiter the Q or the ssd. i listen to a lot of gucci and i just want to be able to slam the lows

Silver Member

Post Number: 616
I reviewed data for both, they optimize as follows:

SSA XCON 15":
2.813cuft@28.65Hz
F3=33.86Hz
pe=1750W

Fi Q 15":
2.598cuft@29.38Hz
F3=32.1Hz
pe=1500W

They seem almost as the same driver with a little more power on the SSA.

Now I remember that the data I was talking about was for the SSA ICON, take a look at this interesting thread for a nice discussion and some other options:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/501468.html

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2672
It just seems like 2.5 cubes is way to small for a ported box dfor a 15

Silver Member

Post Number: 617
Yes BBP6 aligns a bit tight but If you rework both subs at 4 cuft@28Hz:

SSA XCON 15": F3=29.2Hz
Fi Q 15": F3=28.93Hz

Better bottom end but not as linear.

Again both behave very much the same, on measured data the Fi probably will be better but not by far. I wouldn't be concerned, if you get the wrong component set that can ruin SQ far worse.

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2673
so what is the ssd about? is it more of an sql sub compared to the q?

Silver Member

Post Number: 622
No, those two are both SQL subs, the SSA will have a little more than 1dB advantage over the Fi which is very little, the Fi will have a little better SQ over the SSA.

Think of them as equivalent parts for all practical matters, in this cases a perfectly designed box and solid amplification will determine the quality of the end result.

But if no analytical data or opinions can make you confident then buy both and test them in every possible way, and really sometimes that's the only way.

And then there are many options to look at besides those two.

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2674
no im talking about the Fi SSD not SSA lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 628
Sorry, lol, busy at the time, the SSD is less power, cheaper, a somewhat downgraded Q it seems, it probably falls under the SQL category also. I would gladly pay the little extra for the Q.

They are very open about their differences:

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154e9256da4f1c7/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/product_overview.shopscript

The ones that are heavily different from the Q are the BTL N3 clearly for SPL, audible region limited (high Fs) and very high sensitivity, High BL of course and 3KW.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us