2 IDMAX 12's or 1 TC 3000 15"?

Bronze Member
Username: Ccleaven

Post Number: 27
So right now I have a TC 3000 that I just got and was going to sell my IDMAX 12 until I saw another one on ebay. I am definitely an sq guy but would like a little more loudness than the TC. Should I buy the other IDMAX and use those or stay with the TC?....both situations would be run off 2000 rms. Please reply quickly because idk how long the other idmax will last. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!!

Post Number: 3604
As much as I love anything TC/TC based I say grab the other IDmax. They will probably become harder and harder to find in a couple years or so since they are now out of business. Im not sure if the IDmax would have more output than the TC or not but the SQ,well you cant go wrong with SQ with either driver.

Oh wait you mean either 1 15" TC or 2 12" IDmax? Well without a doubt the 2 12s will be louder than the single 15". Grab the other IDmax.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
And they will be allright powered off a Hifonics 2610 at 1 ohm?....it says 2600 rms at 1 ohm but my friend told me it would be a little less....I just wanna make sure that wont be too much for the subs

Gold Member

Post Number: 3607
Hifonics amps are usually overrated a tad. What is the IDmax rms?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
1000 each

Gold Member

Post Number: 3608
1000wrms each? I could have swore they were 750 or 600 wrms. Hmmm maybe that was the older versions? Anyways yea if the IDs are 1k each then the Hifonics 2600wrms @ 1ohm should be just fine. But you will need both IDs to be dual 4ohm VC,you know that right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
theyre 750 at 4 ohms but at 2 ohms theyre 1000.....the one i have is dual 2 ohm and so is the one online....so that wont work?....even if you do some special wiring?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3609
So the dual 2ohm versions are 1000wrms and the dual 4ohm are 750wrms? That makes no sense at all. And if both of your IDs are dual 2ohm,no you can not wire them to a 1ohm final load. There is no special wiring lol. Two dual 2ohm subs can be wired at .5ohm,2ohm,or 8ohms. So you will either have to get another amp if you want to give them 1000wrms or run them at 2ohm and that amp is rated at 1700wrms at 2ohm so each sub would roughly see 850wrms. That would actually be just fine. If the subs are 1000wrms and you're giving them 850wrms you probably wouldnt notice a difference in 1000 or 850.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3610
Or you could wire them to .5ohm and try to run that amp at .5. Im not sure how long the amp would last by doing that but after rise and whatnot you might actually be close to 1ohm. You will absolutely need a good electrical before you even consider running that amp at .5ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Yeah I'm a noob with this kind of stuff as you can tell haha....and since the amp is overrated what do you think the true rms would be if i did it at 2 ohms?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3611
I really couldnt tell ya. Maybe 1500wrms? Maybe a little more/little less. You will be fine by running them at 2ohms though. The subs will still sound good but you just wont be giving them their full RMS,which is fine. Somewhere down the road you could upgrade your amp to something that does 2000wrms at 2ohm or I just noticed the Hifonics amp is strappable,you could just get another Hifonics amp and strap it. Then you would be giving your subs their full rms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Well as long as its louder than my tc and clean too i'll be happy....thanks a lot.....I think i'll order it

Gold Member

Post Number: 3612
Yea it will be plenty loud and clean. So what are you planning on doing with the TC?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Ill probably keep it til I get my IDMAX's set up to make sure I dont need it anymore than I'll probably just sell it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3613
How much would you want for the TC?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
without the box I paid 375 for it so I would like to break even on it if possible

Gold Member

Post Number: 3614
That a little high honostly. Probably have better luck selling it local for that price. Oh well,good luck with your IDs. Post some pics/vids when you get it all setup.

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 239
All IDMax's have been 1000wrms, at least the v2 and v3 series... ive never seen (or heard of?) a v1 IDmax so... not sure where you got that 750 from lol...

Over on ROE I read a post about someone clamping that amp @ 2000 wrms @ 1-ohm, 12V and 2653 @ 1-ohm 14.4V.... so @ 2-ohms with decent electrical I think it is safe to say you would get around 1300-1400 wrms; should get plenty loud.

What kind of box you have planned for these beauties?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14404
Twiztid, don't assume two 12" subs are going to be louder than a single 15" sub, or that this is the only thing that matters.
If you want to compare the two for output, look at the type of enclosure used for each, the total (combined) excursion, sensitivity, motor structure design, applied power, and cone surface area to start.
I'm typically a fan of using fewer, larger subs when possible. Having said that though, it isn't a bad idea to grab those ID subs, as noted, since the company is kaput.
...and no I didn't read the entire thread.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14405
Ccleaven, you never break even on used car audio gear, unless it's something old and highly valuable, and even then, rarely if ever.
If you're lucky, you might get $250 for that used sub, especially with the economy being the way it is.
I've had a new, in the box, never even opened elevation audio 12" comp sub listed on CL for over a year now, for $65, and only had one person offer me $50.. and I told him to take a hike.
Sellling audio gear right now is a losing proposition.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Yeah sorry about saying the 750 ohms....I was thinking about the amp I used to push it....so should I just double the spec size for a box and use that to get a custom box built? Or should I take my chance with buying a premade one from ebay

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
I wouldn't use a pre-fab box,

If you like the way your box sounds then just duplicate that one, but if you want both subs in a single box you are going to need to re-design it. Doubling the volume wont do it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Yeah I want them both to be in a single box but I don't know how to redesign it....I would be getting it done by some guy

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
Does "some guy" know how to design a box properly? Or is he gonna slap some MDF together and call it a day?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3618
Well most of the time 2 subs will be louder than 1 sub,if the subs are around the same quality/level. Of course 2 12" Pyle subs probably wont be louder than 1 15" HDC3,if all subs are givin their rated power and in a box to specs. Then again there are people who could make a 10" Sony Xplode louder than an HDC3,in the right enclosure and givin enough power,etc. But I highly doubt the OP has the skill or know-how to do that,no offense OP. So generally speaking of course 2 12" subs will be louder than 1 15". I guess I should have said this in the first place. Glass you should really lighten up,I never meant to offend you when I asked if you read threads anymore,geeze!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
He said he's been doing car audio installs for years and has lots of experience but I havent met him or seen his work so idk for sure. He said he can customize a box with 3/4" MDF and cut the holes exactly to the size of the sub and everything. I just need to know how many cubic feet to tell him.....and I don't have that much trunk space

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14410
for 12" subs, ported, typically 2cu ft per sub, after driver and port displacement, ports tuned to about 31.5Hz. min ID 4" port.

For a fifteen, usually 3-3.5cu ft per sub, port tuned to 24-28Hz. min. ID of 6" for port

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I was going to do a sealed enclosure to cut down on space and make for better sq....would like 1.5 cu ft per sub be good?

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
O sealed makes design 100 times simpler. Yea 1.5 cu.ft. would be good for each IDMAX, If you need the space you could go smaller too, I believe they perform well in as small as 1 cu.ft per sub. Of course the smaller you go the less low-end you get.

Bronze Member
Username: Lms

Post Number: 72
ccleaven, if you're wanting those maxes to perform, please port them....

They'll get loud with as little as 300 watts per sub as they're very efficient...

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14556
I'm a fan of single sub solutions, and I prefer a single larger sub to two smaller ones. Also, TC Sounds is still in business, unlike Image Dynamics, so that said, I'd lean toward the single 15"

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 573
That was a concern of mine a few weeks ago but Image Dynamics seems to be still in business:

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.net/

The founder and main design engineer opted out.

Will they remain in business is an open question.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3569
i just started running 2 idmax 12's on 1200wrms for a temp setup. even in a very small sealed box i'm quite impressed. they play super clean, have a great frequency range, and exceed my output expectations.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us