Looking for a sub...

Username: Mkeets

Post Number: 1
Well like the title says I'm looking to put a sub into my 2009 camry (yes I drive a grandma car :p). This is my first sub but I'm not necessarily looking for an "entry level" sub. I want something that I'm not going to be disatisfied with after a couple listenings and want to ugrade. I'm leaning more towards an SQ sub. Volume wise I want something louder than a JL W6 but softer than a Fi BTL that thing almost made me deaf. Some subs I've been looking at are DC Audio Level 4, RE SXX, IDMax v3, and JL W7. The thing is in my area it's hard to come by any other brand outside of Alpine, Rockford, Kenwood, and JL (other brands are typically bought online). So it's hard for me to listen before I buy. Any suggestions about what amp to pair the subs I listed with or suggestions of other subs that might fit what I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 564
This could be one option, superior SQ than the JL, and at 1KW RMS louder than the JL but not as a BTL:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-658

Other options could be the Fi Q and the SSA XCON both SQ subwoofers.

Bronze Member
Username: Lms

Post Number: 71
Hey Micah K, seems like you're our newest member here...
Welcome to the forum...

Have you already purchased an amplifier? Are you set on buying new equipment only?
You"ll need to let us know what budget you're working with and i'm sure the others will chime in with recommendations for power and subwoofers.

Joe made some great recommendations... The fi Q and id max are great sql subs that i've had a chance to play with... If you could get your hands on a Si mag, I doubt you'll be wanting to upgrade anytime soon... Reviews have also placed the Xcon in the category of Sql.

Goodluck

Post Number: 2
@ Joe- Out of those subs and the subs I listed which would you say have the best SQ disregard the price.

@ Ims- Yeah I think I am the newest member to the forums. I haven't purchased an amp yet I'm going to purchase an amp based on the sub I get. I'm looking at a budget of about 1500 ish for the whole system but wouldn't mind spending less. Is there a big difference in buying new and used?

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
Out of those you mention I'd like the idmax best.

Post Number: 3
Ok thanks, will those get as loud as I want them to? With 1000 watts rms should I do any upgrades to the electrical aspect of my car?

Post Number: 5
Pretty much narrowed it down to two subs, a Fi Q D2 1500w RMS on a HiFonics 2000D http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22702_Hifonics-HFi2000D.html

or an IDMAX v3 D4 1000w RMS on a RE XTX 3000.1 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_35818_RE-Audio-XTX-3000.1-XTX3000.1.html, thoughts on these subs would be appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14554
Fi Q or SSD, or Alpine Type R

any of the above will perform very well with 600 watts RMS

Bronze Member
Username: Lms

Post Number: 73
A single fi Q or an id max would be perfect. Dual 2 .
If you decide on the fi, try fitting a single 15.

I'd recommend a sundown or audioque amp.
Try the 1200d for either brand. That gives you some headroom.

You'll need to perform the big 3 upgrade and place a battery in the trunk. You should be okay running that power on stock.

My suggestions are limited to the brands that i've had a chance to play with.

It's weekend, so there's not much traffic on the forum.

I suggest you give a it few more days and there'll be lots of suggestions...

Post Number: 6
@ GlassWolf- OK I guess that's a vote for Fi Q.

@ Ims- Yeah I figured it wouldn't be to busy over the weekend. Big three upgrade? Will my local audio place know what I mean if I say I want a big three ugrade? But thanks for the help I heard alot of good things about sundown audio's amps alot of people in Hawaii use them but hey are a bit expensive...

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
Ok beyond opinion I can tell you this, the IDMax's optimum effective volume for enclosure is large and that sub reaches very low frequencies and is appropriate if you like that. It will also will need less watts to get loud than the Fi.

The Fi Q optimizes in a smaller box and its bass is not as deep as the IDMax, but its specifically designed for sound quality and handles more electrical power to make up for lower efficiency.

Both are high quality subwoofers so its not like you will be really let down by any of them.

Regarding the amplifiers look for CEA-2006 certification to make sure that they are not seriously overrated. Also to be noted about HiFonics is that they seem to overheat due to lower class D efficiency, so I would recommend an AQ1200d instead if your budget allows, also research the RE for issues before buying.

Post Number: 7
@ GlassWolf- OK I guess that's a vote for Fi Q.

@ Ims- Yeah I figured it wouldn't be to busy over the weekend. Big three upgrade? Will my local audio place know what I mean if I say I want a big three ugrade? But thanks for the help I heard alot of good things about sundown audio's amps alot of people in Hawaii use them but hey are a bit expensive...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us