NEED OPINIONS!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: E3_overkill

Post Number: 55
Hey, guys im on here alot. As you can see. But i post for all my friends when they need help suggesting car audio. So well my question is where my friend should get (2) 12 inch RE AUDIO SXX12D4 or JL Audio (2) 12 inch jlw3v3-4. He wanting SQL. He wants to be heard from far away but still have the good bass response, and clarity. They will both be in a 2 cubic foot per sub enclosure. And Amp varying on the subs he choices. So what do you guy think the better choice is ? And open to change as well. And the price around 200 per sub.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3215
No offense but did you guys even research the woofers mentioned? If you want loud get the sxx's, but you will need a large amplifier and $$$ electrical upgrades to get the most out of them. I wouldnt buy the JL's either, too much $ for what you get. Neither of those woofers have anything in common, except cone size lol.

My choice, go with the DC level 3's. Call them for pricing.
http://www.dcsoundlab.com/woofers.html

Bronze Member
Username: John253a

Aust.

Post Number: 65
If it was my car idd 2 2x 15" in 2cuft sealed boxes ea.

2x alpine swr1522d
On a mrx-m100

2x kicker cvx152
On either a zx1000.1 or zx1500.1

2x re audio sex15d2
On a Hifonics HFi2000D

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 66
Keep in mind the price of 200 isnt that high when your asking for load and clear subs

Another option is a single 15" in a ported box or even a single 18" either sealed or ported

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 67
Have a look at fi audio
If hes willing to do a single sub option the fi 18" in 4cuft sealed on 1000wrms will blow most subs away in both sq and spl and will play the lows loader then any 12" on the market

Username: Vtec101

Post Number: 1
I have heard from a car stereo professional that JL Audio is one of the best. They are spendy, but worth it if you wanna be heard from far away. 12 inch subs are for mid range bass. If you like hitting low bass notes go for 15s. Also, get a good 2 channel amp with mono block with enough power for each sub. It's not just about how good the subs are, it's also about the amp. And the box, ported or bandbass are what you want to bump the hardest.

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 353
This should be the Best 12" sub under $200 ever. SQ or SPL:

The TC Sounds Epic:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-650

This super subwoofer can go right down to 15Hz.

No wonder they are out of stock there.

The w3v3 definitely go low and loud and do SQ, their sound is a little gentle though.

@john: only cvx152 has the increased sensitivity to make up for the sealed use but then 2 cuft is too tight for those subs. also the $240 is a lot per sub, options open up at that price. Besides Kicker is straight SPL sealed or not.

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 68
Yes kicker are spl speakers hence i recomened type r first.
Also with his budget there isnt a lot of 15" on the market in that bracket that will run in 2cuft.
I put 3 of theis in a friends wrx on a Zx2500.1 running @ 3ohms in 1.8cuft ea and hit 143.7
The thats his everyday car+ he can still fit his kids stroller anf shopping in the back,
If you ask me there 80% spl ad 20%sq and if you asking for sql there on the money for small boxes

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3216
"I have heard from a car stereo professional that JL Audio is one of the best. They are spendy, but worth it if you wanna be heard from far away. 12 inch subs are for mid range bass. If you like hitting low bass notes go for 15s. Also, get a good 2 channel amp with mono block with enough power for each sub. It's not just about how good the subs are, it's also about the amp. And the box, ported or bandbass are what you want to bump the hardest"

JL has some great equipment, but not great for the money. It's actually about the worst way to spend you're money IMO if you want to be heard from far away, as they are a more SQ company if anything.

If you really want RE audio stuff, I'd go with the SEx's 1000-1200w. They will work well sealed or ported.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1279
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/12-subwoofers/97499-fs-12-re-se.html

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3217
x2^^^^^^ get those! Better built than the SEx's too..

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 69
One thing i dont get is if all theise options are for friends and all your friends have 4 cuft to use, why are we recomending the same things?
Maybe its cose thats what we think is best in the space provided.

So why is the same question being asked 3 times a week and answered 3 times a week with the same answers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Cause their are five of us using this one account. And when one person gets one to ask a question its them. And probably cause all of us talk about the same thing all the time. Same sub set ups and we all have your brands we prefer. But we also like to know about different brands at the same time. Thats why this account post so much. If it bothers you that much then no need to comment.

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 70
It not that
It just that the same question is asked with no change in any specs.

For the question to be answered correctly you need to put more info in question

The only question we keep hereing is 4cuft total 2cuft ea. And 12" this that

To answer your questions
We need to no.

Total budget
SPL, SQ or a % of
Cuft avaible for box and size(so as the right x" sub is used)
Left over cuft in box area
Type of car
Is stock elec system to be used or upgraded alt. to be done
What other amps/speakers are used and wrms
Type of music you lissen to

The size of the sub means nothing without the other factors

Most people are happy with 1 good 15" in a ported box tuned to around 32 hz
This will play all music you through at it and will be load enough to be heard coming down the street+ will run on stock elec systems

My oppion is ive had 12" before and once youve had 15" youll never look back

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14518
"He wants to be heard from far away"

I stopped reading right there.
He wants to annoy everybody within 3 blocks?
He's on his own.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Yeah it just a basic question. The amp is MB Quarts 1500. 1 and the electrical system is already upgrade. The big three already done and little bite larger alt. Its going in a mercedes. And i already have a custom box 4cuft. 2cuft ea. Thats why its the same box specs. And the speaker are all alpine type s, and their running off a powerbass 4 channel amp. So my question is what is a good SPL in (2) 12inch subs. And most of my budget is already used so probably around 220 per sub. The whole car wiring is zero ga. So i want sub that yout going to hear me from 3 blocks away. Or should i go with one 15 inch. Cause im sure (2) 12inches should be louder then (1) 15 inch. An ive also been looking at (2) RE audio SXX4D or (2) Sundown Audio SA-12.
And if i get the SXX4D i would probably get a larger amp later on down the road. So what do you guys think.

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 71
Is the box sealed or ported

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
The RE Audio SXX 12 are $269!!
1000W RMS, 88db

The SA-12s are below $200.
600W RMS

Both subs are terribly loud.

REs are much more expensive, and too much power for the 1500 amp.

The SA-12s are 1200 but going by their reps they may be able to take the full power of the amp.

Both subs are most used in SPL setups, for SQ you may have to hear them to see if you like it.

Overall the Sundowns will be more appropriate for the amp

The box may need to be re-tuned, if it is slot ported the that will be extremely difficult.

Also if you didn't notice I suggested these:

The TC Sounds Epic:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-650

Will blow away either the SAs and the REs in SQ.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Its a ported box tune At 34hz. So well that be good enough for either sub? And do you think one of the subs are better quality then the other? Or both about the same? Im thinking about going with the Sundown Audio SA-12. Jusy want people to hear me bumb'n from far away.

Silver Member

Post Number: 368
First you must make sure that the specs on your box are correct and subtract the airspace that the sub takes up to get correct effective volume.

For the RE suggested specs for ported are
2.0 ft^3 @ 33Hz
for the Sundown suggested specs for ported are
1.75 ft^3 @ 30 Hz

So your enclosure seems to adapt better to the REs but to get a better picture I would feed WinIsd with the params of both subs and force the enclosure sizes to your spec and see how both behave.

Regarding sound quality both are SPL subs with better SQ than Kicker but in a SQ setup, well you will have to listen for yourself or get more opinions, Sundown gets very low and SPL people like that.

One other thing, the difference in SPL between 1500W and 2000W is not that great.

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1280
Tc epics are an excellent choice. Sound amazing,hit the lows and get fairly loud too. Slight downfall is they only come in dual 2ohm.

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 72
Re audio sxxx12d4
in parrell then parrell both subs and youll he driving them at 750wrms each
You should easy hit high 130's

Next would be
Alpine Swx-12423d
Kucker cvx124
Jl 12w3v3-2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
I was thinking about JL Audio w3v3-4. Do you think they'll get as loud for SPL as the SunDown Audio or RE Audio. And im not a kicker fan at all. Everybody has kickers. I am a apline fan thou. But type x's are pricey. And yeah It needs to be dual 4 ohm so it can wire them @ 1ohm. But do you guys think the 2 cuft. Tune at 34hz would be fine for the SA-12? Or get a new box all together. I would really like to keep it if possible.

Silver Member

Post Number: 370
Yes, the JL Audio will get loud enough and with better sound quality than the Sundowns or the REs and much better than the JL Audio is the TC I suggested and its below $200.

But for raw SPL on a decent price Sundown is the way to go, they will be louder than either of the above by 2 or 3db.

You will need to model the sub to see if your box will do, but a custom job will be better for sure, specially if you are going after SPL.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
So If i wanted SPL and SQ go with the JL Audio (2) 12 w3v3-4, but if i want just raw SPL go with SunDown Audio's (2) SA-12 ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
For SPL/SQ I would go with the TCs, impressive SQ and plenty powerful and will go subsonic. The JLs are big name and really good but not an impressive product.

For SPL yes the Sundowns, high sensitivity and can take more than rated power, verify it yourself, but those subs could take the full 1500W RMS of the amp easy. With a perfect custom box 2 sundowns will get you over 140dB.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Dang that would be sick. So what about (2) jl 13.5w3v3-4 ? Do you think those would get loud ? I think im going to stay away from the RE Audio SXX4D's for now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
No real advantage over the 12w3s less than 1 dB and 100 extra watts your enclosure will have to grow from 1.75 to 2.25 cuft per sub, the F3 will be lower only 1Hz, price will be $220 per sub instead of $170 for the 12w3. Not worth it in my opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Awwwh sweet thanks. Yeah so might just end up getting those TC. So what size box should i get for them and tune at what hz? And how many dB do you think i could get out of those (2) 12 TC's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
Upload

Ok check the plot above for the TC Epic 12" on two different boxes:

Violet: 2cuft@25 Hz with F3=29Hz (compact)
Yellow: 2.886 cuft@24.84Hz F3=24.73Hz (optimized)

This sub is high displacement you can choose from 2 to 2.8 cubic feet per sub depending on how low you want your bass, in any case will go lower than a JL Audio w3

As for SPL it has 0.55 dB less than the JL so for all practical matters they are just as loud in that sense.

The real differences are that the TC can take up to 2000 Peak and will do power well above its rating. So given that you can put in extra power the TC will be louder.

The downside as Art pointed out earlier is being a 2 ohm DVC, so you can only wire series-parallel to 2 ohm, the same thing will be with the JLs 12w3v3-4 since are SVC 4 ohm wiring in parallel will give 2 ohm total impedance.

So in your case both subs will sound just as loud.

I expect in cabin SPL to be somewhere around 130dB for any 2 of the above on a perfect custom enclosure. Hopefully someone will come forward with some hard numbers for their cars.

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1283
Upload
Upload
Upload

My 12'' epics...
Had Bassman build me the box. 4cuft tuned to 32hz. These subs supprised me in every way. Sound amazing,get nasty low,and are fairly loud too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Thats sick. I like those alot. Not to throw a monkey wrench into the equations, but what do think about the alpine type r's (2) 12inch 1243D. In the two cubic foot box tune at 34 hz. Do you think those well get loud as well? Cause my friend just got two brand news one and didnt like them for some stupid reason. And he asked if i wanted to buy them. Literally had them for like 5 days. So do yoi think those will have good SPL with a little SQ in them ? But as of right now im most definitely thinking about those TC. for sure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
Well yes they are SQ/SPL speakers, one thing is that they are inefficient at 85dB ( the efficiency of a 10") so more amp power to get the same SPL, I guess that if you have access to them some tests are in order, but the main things going for them is that they are $150 and the Alpine's big name.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us