Sub cuts on and off

Username: Dtalurking

Post Number: 1
I have a 1000 watt kenwood sub hooked up to a 1600 watt kenwood amp whenever i turn it up after a while it will shut off and not play. The settings on the amp are not that high and I am wondering is it cutting off because I am using cheap high gauge wire from walmart? Or what else could be my problem I need any possible solutions thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 194
Check that the sub is wired to an impedance not lower than the amps minimum stable impedance, if that does not work list the models

Post Number: 2
the amp is a kenwood kac-9102d and the sub is a kfc-w3012 they are wired to 4 ohms i believe

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
Ok, your amp is apparently overheating you can start by doing this, if there is a switch in the amp named ISF it should have 3 settings off, 15Hz, 25Hz, switch it to 25Hz that alone could solve the problem but the amp should be installed in a properly ventilated place with lots of space around it.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1304
Your Amplifier is going into protection mode. Go and turn all the settings on the Amplifier and Deck down to 0 or Default. If your Amplifier is still shutting off, it looks like it's time to invest in a new Amplifier.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3196
Are your lights dimming bad? does your battery gauge drop low when bass hits? if so you are clipping that amp, and you will fry it very easily if youre not carefull due to low voltage. old also be a poor ground. check your fuses over well, I had this issue with a faulty fuse before.

Just make sure your grounds are sanded well and connected to a good conductive place. Also go through every connection and make sure everything is clean and secure.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14458
could be the amp is too hot (not likely)
could be lack of alternator current causing the amp to clip
probably not the cheap CCA wire from walmark
could be a bad ground point causing the amp to clip
could be the gain on the amp set too high, again.. clipping

Post Number: 3
ok so i take it to believe my amp is clipping seeing the fact i have already blown the fuses in the amp before and had to replace them, what can i do to solve this problem

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
The amp blowing fuses can occur for any number of reasons starting with an underrated fuse.

You have to exclude every of those reasons one at a time.

Does it feel really hot right after if stops working??

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14462
you'll want to get your hands on a DMM (digital multi-meter) or VOM (volt-ohm meter) and test the voltages while the system is in use, at the amplifier.
See if voltages are dropping below about 11 to 11.5VDC.

that'd be the first step, after you check your ground point, and wiring for loose connections.
ground should be to bare, sanded metal. no paint.

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
Yes but no one ever seems to have one (DMM) or willing to buy one.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14468
$1000 in subs, $2500 in amplifiers, and nobody willing to spend $10 at harbor freight to buy a meter.

go figure.

Same people who buy expensive subs, and cram the car full of them, and drive some crappy beat to snot honda accord and won't spend $300 for an alternator to properly power the amplifiers drawing 300A of current.

then they complain when things start to fail.

Bronze Member
Username: John253a

Post Number: 36
First idd test power at battety it should never get below 11vdc when volume around 5/8 up(set dmm to >20vdc)
Then at amp, same 11vdc.
Then change dmm to ohms and check each sub on own and then as a circuit.
Then check the pre amp voltage of head unit and set to high or low voltage input.
Then come back and tell us the results and well be able to help some more

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
Rossay is gone now I think, maybe the idea of measuring voltage was unbearable.

Post Number: 4
Or moved and my internet won't be turned on until next week?

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Ok man so feel free to ask whenever is convenient for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us