Looking for a new SQ sub...

Bronze Member
Username: Wandaddy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 75
I currently have a Boston G210-44 in a 0.75 cubic foot sealed enclosure powered by the sub channel on an Alpine PDX-5(300W RMS @ 2 or 4 ohms). I am happy with it, but I think I want to upgrade to a better SQ sub. I would like to keep using the same enclosure, and I am going to keep the same amp for now. My budget is $250 or less, anyone have any suggestions? I have been looking at maybe a Focal 25 A1...

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1291
Im surprised no one has answered this question yet, but here is the perfect replacement for you:

SSA DCON-10 D4 ($114.99):
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/DCON%252d10-D4-%E2%80%93-Sound -Solutions-Audio-10%22-300W-Dual-4%252dOhm-DCON-Series-Subwoofer.html

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 188
Other options could be the Image Dynamics IDQ10v3, it will do awesome at .75, also cheap, cheap you can have the DLS RW10i. Focal access better save your money. It does not take too much to beat a BA sub anyways.

But if you are really into SQ maybe the Alpine amp is also not really the best sub amp around. You should check your whole system before solely blaming a component unless you have switched subs before.

Bronze Member
Username: Wandaddy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 76
Well the amp is staying for the time being, and I think it sounds fine for now. I live in Japan and am moving to Europe after a year, so I am waiting until I get back to the states to invest in some more serious gear. I am getting new components when I move to Europe, because the ones I have now are staying in my car, and I will probably just wait a get a different sub then. Having only 300W for the sub kind of limits my choices though, and there is no where for me to demo anything over here which kind of sucks.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1300
With the right Subwoofer and Enclosure, you can make a decent system on 300 Watts RMS, regardless if it's aimed towards SQ or SPL.

The Amplifier you have now if fine, and shouldn't have to be replaced unless you wanted to go bigger.

Since you plan on keeping the same Enclosure, the Subwoofer I posted above will work great. Even Joe Durkhams suggestion of the IDQ10 v3 will sound good as well.

If you wanted to try and get a louder system, I would suggest building a new enclosure to fit a SSA DCON-15 D4. Still requires 300 Watts RMS, and is only $138.99. Link is below:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/DCON%252d15-D4-%E2%80%93-Sound -Solutions-Audio-15%22-300W-Dual-4%252dOhm-DCON-Series-Subwoofer.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
15" speaker will go louder for the watt and will get lower but that's not in the way of better SQ in fact in high end systems you rarely see anything above 12"

You could just do a quick swap to see if it gets better but maybe it will be useful to know what is bothering you about the sub. How its wired, etc.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1302
Im sorry Joe Durkham, but I completely disagree with you on your above statement. You cannot just say that 12" and up Subwoofers cannot offer great Sound Quality. There are plently of Subwoofers out there that have amazing SQ, like the Fi Q for example.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
What I am saying Joe S is that physics make it easier for smaller speakers to achieve transient response than larger speakers (specially in terms of cost effective implementation), so unless you want the lower octave and the increased sensitivity big speakers provide (say you like rap), you are better off with good quality 12"s or less, this is not to say that is not feasible to overcome most issues of larger speakers have but there will be a small number of !5" or above that are really worth considering for high end SQ systems.

Many times people who install those big subs will require midbass drivers as well.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SSAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 931
In modern day sub woofers the idea of larger cones get lower and don't sound as good as smaller cones, is essentially a myth. Stronger motors, properly set up suspension, better dampening ratio's etc. negate that idea. Not to mention, many SQ guys run quite large sub woofers. More and more are going to larger cones to maintain the same output at lower gains, (ie, efficiency equaling less current required, less thermal stress on the sub woofer, less chance for clipping and distortion, less power compression etc. etc.), not to mention usually greater sensitivity. Any sound difference between the Dcon 10" and the Dcon 15" is extremely difficult to hear by the human ear, the output difference is not difficult.

Heck, the Kicker Solo X 18" won some SQ competitions a while back. Yes, I know SQ is totally subjective, but there is some information that can be gleaned from that.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 428
Just because you have 300W doesn't mean you can't use a 500-1000W sub. Check out the Eclipse SW8000, hard to find though. Its FC would be around 30-35 Hz with Q of .5-.6 instead of 55 Hz Q .8 like the DCON 10. It has low sensitivity but it would make up for it in response compared to a non-LMS motor. I used 2 SW8200's (12's) on 350W each, in 1 cube each and they were nuts on the lows and had great SQ.

The best SQ sub I've ever heard was my ported, tonally-accurate, neutral-sounding, gut-busting RE XXX V3. On 300W though, it could be lacking, but those cones move easily and they have higher sensitivity than a DCON. You could probably find one for $200-$250, and I'm pretty sure they came in 10's.

My vote is look for a (used of course) RE XXX V3 10" for a 1 cubic foot ported box @ 30-35 Hz, keep the amp. You don't know what you're missing until you hear XBL^2, zero coloration.

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 300
I know there is a stigma with jl. but i have a pair of 10" w6v2s that i still throw in from time to time. they require around .6 to .7 sealed and i think they sound great. a used 10w6v2 will run around 150 maybe 200 on the high side. very nice sub. hard to get used to when i pull 2 21" wardens out, but very nice sounding subs none the less.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14502
and another option for a purely SQ oriented sub is the Fi Q10.
www.ficaraudio.com

click speakers > Q series subwoofers > 10"

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 688
Get the highest sensitivity sub u can find

Bronze Member
Username: John253a

Post Number: 59
Focal 27V2
my first choise

Alpine SWX-1043D
it will work well in 0.75cuft and when you have the $$$ upgrade the amp

Focal 27 V1
ported in your 0.75 cuft box alowing around 0.5cuft for sub

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
Focal is way overpriced for what those subs can deliver, doesn't get that low, and since its 11" will not fit the 10" box.

No question it is SQ though.

Bronze Member
Username: John253a

Aust.

Post Number: 60
So its that hard to modify a box 1/2 all round or order a spacer ring for it

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
Strictly speaking you have to subtract the volume of the driver to the internal volume of the box so a bigger driver will reduce the effective internal volume. Tighter box = loss of bottom end.

But anyways the IDQ I suggested will do deep bass and excellent SQ, no mods. Even the SSA Joe S suggested wil do better lows.

Focal is French stuff expensive even for European standards and pays import duties accordingly.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 689

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 690

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 691
Im totally not doing that on purpose

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 692
Im totally not doing that on purpose

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
Absolutely not, anyways sensitivity will not buy you very much in the way of SQ on a weak amplifier, just increased SPL. Some people believe that on a very strong amp CAN actually reduce distortion.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3210
Call RD (RDaudio.net) and see if they have any Classics. Great sealed or ported. or even the limited run of SQ series woofers (Chad lee would likely vouch for those, never heard them myself). I think RD is is starting to sell stuff again as the new managers are getting things pretty much cleared up with old business.

Anyone used the Fi X?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8649
jl audio 12w6v2 trust me better deal that any of those mentioned... wont be as loud.. but sq is soo much better.. u can pick on used for aboutthat

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14509
The Fi Q is a newer, and better design, and a better sub than the JL to be honest.

Compare their Bl curves.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8650
ITS EARS WHAT MATTERS.. NOT CURVES..

unless the curves are from a woman ;)

from a pro personal experience ;)

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
Extrmndor3, I will probably disagree on your first statement.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14512
If the Bl curve is better, the speaker will have better cone movement control, which means faster response, tighter sound, etc.. If you like muddy, sloppy subs, then sure, go by ear, not specs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us