Wattage/Amp question.

Username: Ecarsten

Currituck, NC US

Post Number: 2
So I'm looking at getting a pair of 10" subs that need 250W RMS to power them. My amp is 300W RMS and 1000W peak. Does that mean I'll need to get a 500W RMS amp to power both subs? Or will my 300W RMS power both of them just fine. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm new to this whole thing.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11919
You would want a 500w+ rms amp to power them. It is recommended to use an amp bigger that the amount of power you actually want to give the subs, having that reserve will avoid clipping.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24994
RMS watts is a rating for continuous power. Peak power means next to nothing. You won't hurt your subs underpowering them unless you clip the signal but you also won't be experiencing their potential either.

It's far better to run your subs with an amp that will deliver clean RMS power to them than strain a lower powered amp and max out the signal/gain and increase possible distortion.

Look for a decent 500w two channel amp and adjust gains slightly lower to achieve a safe zone. Distortion kills speakers more than power does.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24995
Damn I need to type faster!

Currituck, NC US

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the fast replies guys! Do either of you happen to know of a decent 500w+ 2-channel amp that won't burn too big of a hole in my wallet?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14425
Well, the subs don't *need* 250 watts. If they are rated to handle 250W continuous, that's a measure of the peak amount of heat the voice coils can handle without damage, and in no way indicates the amount of power required for full output, which depends on a number of factors, like the enclosure type you plan to use.
As for matching amp to speakers, you can usually go up to 20-50% over the continuous rated power for the subs with the RMS output of the amplifier without damage to the speakers, again, depending on the enclosure specs and type.

Currituck, NC US

Post Number: 7
So are you saying that my 300W RMS amp could power two 250W RMS subs just fine? And the enclosure would just be a very basic box enclosure.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24997
Sure it would. You just wouldn't be getting the most out of your subs. If you don't need/want to spend the $ on a bigger amp that's cool.

It's just in this business most ppl tend to max out their equipment's capabilities and end up in failure to boot lol.

It's rare to see questions asking differently.

Currituck, NC US

Post Number: 8
Well I'm not looking to overdrive my equipment and mess it up, I'm just looking to get some good punch from a pair of subs (or a single sub). Do you think it would be better for me to get a single sub or a pair?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3195
If you have the trunk space just grab a single 12" or 15" woofer. Thats what I would do.

What is the exact model of your amplifier? How much are you looking to spend on sub(s)?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14428
I personall;y prefer to go with fewer, larger subs when I can, so yeah single 15 instead of two 12s, etc.. but thaqt isn't always feasible, so go with what works best in your setting. I'd also suggest you go with a ported enclosure instead of sealed, and if you have it built for you, have the box tuned low. 28-32Hz is best in a car for a tuned port frequency to my ears anyway.
and yes a 500W amp would drive two 250W subs fine, if the subs, when wired together to the amp, present a load that will allow the amp to provide 500 watts of output.
remember the amp's output power is dependent on the load presented to it by the speakers.

Currituck, NC US

Post Number: 9
I have a 1999 Isuzu Trooper, so trunk space isn't an issue.

I think I'm liking the idea of a single 12 or 15 rather than a pair of 10s. Any suggestions on a 250-300W RMS single 12 or 15?

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 245
If trunk space isn't an issue, then cone area is the least expensive way to increase output. I would suggest a 15".

A good sub for the power output you have would be the SSA DCON 15"... http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/categories/Sub-Woofers/SoundSolutionsAu dio/DCON/

Which one you need (S4 or D4) depends on what amp you have. The SSA DCON is a quality subwoofer at a nearly unbeatable price (for a relatively low power handling sub anyway).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us