Using a car amp in a portable stereo system with a sub

Username: Nov845

Post Number: 1
I put together a stereo system that has two speakers and a sub. I use a DC power supply to power the amp. It turns on but there's no audio coming out of the sub. I plug the sub into a different amp and it works.

amp = Pyramid PB717X 1000 watts
power supply = pyramid psv-300

i don't know why there's no audio output

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2066
is the 2 chan amp only for the sub?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24934
How did you wire everything? That's a 2 channel amp right? How are you wiring 2 speakers and a sub to a 2 channel amp?

If that's what you did.

Plus what's the input source?

Post Number: 2
I got a separate amp for the two speakers. The car amp has an rca input and output. Im just using an rca cord with a 3.5mm headphone jack to plug into an ipod. The second amp is plugged into the car amp's rca output and the second amp puts out music just fine.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2067
is the sub amp set to low pass? is the x-over point ~60-80hz? did you hook up a remote wire?

Post Number: 3
i plugged the 12V into the remote wire so I wouldn't have to use a head unit.

here's the url for the sub http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b0007gbazg it says in the specs that the frequency response extends to 23.2 Hz

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!!

Post Number: 3533
Ah ha I see your problem..................

amp = Pyramid PB717X 1000 watts
power supply = pyramid psv-300

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 229
Lol, Twiz might be right... Pyramid doesn't make the best stuff... but if I were you I would grab a DMM and troubleshoot all of your wiring, make sure everything is receiving the signal it should.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 657
Me thinks I can sense faulty wiring. You're not really painting the whole picture....are both amps designed for cars?? What is the "first" amp?? Or second, I dunno. FFR, don't speak in terms of first, second, car amp hahaha speak of brands, models, and specifics like that'd

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24952
Well a big problem with portable systems is proper grounding. In a car you use the chassis, in home audio your grounded at the source.

When peeps start using car audio equipment for either home use or "portable" applications they tend to ignore this important detail.

I know nothing of your power source or it's design but anything DC ungrounded is a disaster waiting to happen. If it's a proper AC to DC converter then grounding shouldn't be the issue.

Bear with me but we get at least a dozen guys a year coming here looking how to use their 1000w car amp in their rooms connected to a car radio, battery and sub box.

The advice is the same. Don't procreate.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2069
pic's would be a great help.

Post Number: 4
These are pics of the power supply and the ampUpload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts