Hey guys long time no talk

Silver Member
Username: 2000fordranger

Shreveport, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 162
i kinda got out of the audio phase after i totaled my old truck and sold what was left of my audio stuff about a year a half ago. The only thing ive still got is my monster 7+cu^3 ft ported box that fits 2 12" woofers (the port is almost 2 cubes) but im not so sure I want to take up that much room in this truck I have now. its a 2000 tundra extended cab. I don't really want to break the bank but I still miss my old 146+ db outta the RE's i had. Lookin for some talk on this thread im really open minded and was thinkin about a 15 or something different.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14301
welcome back, hombre.

I noticed things seem pretty slow around here lately, myself.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24921
Slower....and slower................and slower.........................................and so on...........................

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
yea, so what do you fine expert fellows have to say? about what you would do in my scenario?

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14304
I'd just use a pair of ported Fi 12" subs and give them plenty of power with a strong, well powered front stage.. but that's me. I'm more for SQ than SPL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
I've been looking at Fi but i can't seem to get to the right place on the website? I can't find specs as far as wattage/box nor pricing for that matter.

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 223
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn154e1b0de3a2922/shopdata/0050 _Speakers/0030_Q/product_overview.shopscript

Just click on the large rectangular picture (showing the motor of the subwoofer on the left and the model of the subwoofer on the right) T/S params, specs, rec. box, options, pricing for each size on a single convenient page per subwoofer model ,

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
GlassWolf, what series Fi subs would you use? Also i'd need another amp so where should I go from here. doing this I wont need another box because ill end up just using my big one i already have.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
Hate to double post but found this for an amp. I really like the AQ1200d amp but this looks like a hell of a deal but while im relatively knew to the audio world is the 2000 watts this thing has able to be lowered enough so theres no need for the "Big 3" or 5 i cant remember what it was and also not to blow 600 watt per sub? Also I can get that amp for 200 not 230.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24924
You can always adjust your gain on your amp to match the subs but if you're new to car audio you might not want to chance it.

A lot of old school guys will tell you that they set their gains by ear. I used to set my radio's volume at a volume setting just at the point of audible distortion, then back a notch. At that point you adjust the gains on the amp. In a perfect world you never want to send a distorted signal to any speaker.

Distortion kills way more speakers/subs than power does. It's also why some underrate their products to compensate for this.

Then again some overrate their products to sell on the wow factor.

Just plain stupid.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14306
I'm oldschool, but I set mine with a scope and DMM..
that said, Fi SSD subs for what you're after, and Audioque or Sundown for the amplifiers

I should say, SSD if you wand power and SQ.. if you want balls out SPL, look at the BL and BTL subs.. but the SSD is a great all around street sub. I use the Q myself for straight SQ.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24926
18" Q fills my HT sub addiction. Very well balanced sub. Underrated on clean power too.

This is old but I still use it today lol.

Thumps the house.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24927
On a side note, not that this means anything but I've had several offers asking how much to build such a beast.

If you have the know how and the means ppl will pay. That sub above cost me about a grand to build, including labor, materials, amp, ect. I bet you could get $1500 as orders, just for the bragging rights of having a 1000w 18" HT sub lol.

Think about it. $500 profit on about a weekend's worth of work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
I don't mean to derail here, but... what amp are you using for that 18"Q, whats the volume of the box and how is it tuned? I have been wanting to do something like that for a while but I lack the funds...

Im probably going to make a small HT sub with an Image Dynamics ID10v3 I got off ebay for $37, maybe power it off a Bash 300 or Dayton 240

Back on topic tho... yeah a pair of 12" Q's would be killer... idk about 146+ dB but 2 Q's on clean power in the right box just sounds so nice, and still capable of getting too loud for my taste. Iv'e never heard the SSD's but im sure they are sick too.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14307
mine? Orion 2250SX bridged @ 4 ohms @ 14.4VDC, so realistically about 1500 watts. Sealed enclosure in the spare tire well with a raised floor, total volume is around 5 cubic feet crossed over at about 50Hz, 18dB/octave Q

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
Actually I meant Pauls HT setup.

Thats a beastly amp though lol... Actually thats a beastly setup in general.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
The SSD subs are 1000 watts a pop so if i wanted 2 of those id need around 2000 watts to give them there rightful potential and only 1200-1500 max is good for stock truck right? and i say knew to audio ive been doing stuff here and there and knew how to set the gain but i also know that its not a volume knob.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24930
1000w Dayton plate amp in approx 9.5 cu's. 28hz. I regret not tuning it lower but I can't complain. It replaced my 15" SI mag setup off the same amp.

Yet another sub I miss.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14308
my apologies. he and I both have the same sub.. lol I wasn't sure who ya meant. The Q is a very good sub though, in any size.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
The SSD subs are 1000 watts a pop so if i wanted 2 of those id need around 2000 watts to give them there rightful potential and only 1200-1500 max is good for stock truck right? and i say knew to audio ive been doing stuff here and there and knew how to set the gain but i also know that its not a volume knob.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24933
Well do you know the amp output of your alt? That and your batt size will help determine your stock potential. That and your driving habits. Accessory usage plays a roll in power consumption just like anything else. Plus how loud you normally play your music for an extended time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
Idk, all i know is that it is stock. The more im thinking about it the more I think I want the DC Soundlabs 12" Level 3 subs. Only problem is idk how much it'll be and then what amp to use/where to get the best deal. It's got like a duramax battery in it right now but I've got a Optima Redtop from my old truck that should still be good as new. The only accessory I use would be my radar detector and ive got a pretty heavy foot normally.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8506
Hey josh.

Aren't you the guy I built the box for and met you at a show in Shreveport?

Also, if you are looking at saving some space and still running 2-12's, drop by the shop some time. I'll see what kinda deal I can make you a pair of Sundown SA12's and a box

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
ya Canaan I shot you an email but do not know if you got it? I lost your number and was wondering if maybe we could just talk over the phone might be easier?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8507
hit me we another email

Audible.Insanity@gmail.com

If you liked those 'new-style' RE SE 12's, the Sundown SA-12's will blow your mind....lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
just did another email

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
you log off canaan?

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
No need to apologize glass, I actually have wondered what you run

For my small ID10v3 HT sub I designed a 2 cu.ft. box tuned to 21hz (too low?) I just need to build it now.

From what I could find on the interwebs the Base 2000 Tundra alternator is 80 amps (a bit small for a truck?). If you listen to crazy bass heavy rap or music that will cause long periods of strong current draw I really wouldn't be comfortable running any more than 1200 wrms on the output stage... maybe a tad more if you get a REALLY efficient amp. That's just my opinion though...

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14314
I think my system is linked in my profile on here.
it's nothing too complicated. pioneer stage 4 head unit, two orion 2250SX amps, that Q18, and dynaudio system 360 3-way front stage with 1/0 ga wiring and a 300A alternator on an isolated kinetik 2400 battery in the trunk. that's about it.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5833
chyea

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24946
^^^Drifter. Pay no mind.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums