What ever happened to RD audio?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11895
Are they still around? I see their website is there but I don't see their subs for sale anywhere or see ppl running them much anymore?

I remember when the Sonance came out I always wanted some of those subs. The ones I heard were great SQ and good output.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8500
WELL....

Long story short.

The original owner (Steve Miller) started the company out by selling product at STUPID low prices. He had Zenon based amps and SJA (Atomic) build subs. It was VERY solid stuff. But, buy selling to products to EVERYONE and their brother at or FAR below dealer cost, he never set up a dealer network and for the most part didnt' clear much on the products he sold.

The company grew like fire. ANYONE could buy good products VERY CHEAP. Then...$ problems hit. He couldn't keep up w/ demand for cheap products (every SPL competitor out there was running RD) and clear enough to keep his head above water. Then product failures and warranty issues hit. Since he wasn't clearing enough on products, he literally couldn't afford to warranty ANYTHING. So, he would beat around the bush and promise things he could never deliver on.

At one time he accused his 'box builder' of stealing $ and product from him. But, from what I have heard, the box builder was cleared and is still building online w/ good standing w/ his customers and the online community.

He tried to increase the prices to cover his losses, but that didn't go ever well. Everyone was used to getting RD CHEAP! He tried to create a dealer base, but dealer prices were WAY over what he offered the public on forums. (We almost became a dealer, say the price sheet, DIDN'T)

Things compounded. He couldn't deliver. Then there was word of Steve being in bad health. Then his (supposed) ex-wife started spamming the forums BLASTING HIM in every way.

Then, Steve Miller vanished. There was word he died, but a long time RD employee found otherwise and filed suit against him for backed-pay and other thing.

Then, Steve sold the company...to some guys in Arkansas. I talked to them a few times, then never heard from them again.
RD still owes me an Alpha 10" recone, and owes NickV a RD1750.
Along w/ countless others that never received amps (after a failed batch of amps were per-ordered and tended to go up in smoke)

That how RD died. (or is close to death)
I don't know the whole story....hell, doubt anyone does, its so twisted w/ lies and empty promises.

I'm sure I miss ALOT of things, but thats the just of it.
I know someone could right a book on the whole 'life and times of RD'. And that person was a good guy, his name was just dragged down by the RD fiasco.

I wish nothing but the best to the new owners, but the original owner really screwed up the brand for them. It's gonna be a fight if they want to get the name back in good standings.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5966
Réctal Douchefags®

Hate to say I told ya so.... Actually, no I don't.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8501
LOL

Brad, I met Steve Miller at Scrapin' the Coast a few years ago. He was kinda a douche then, my mindset and his didn't really click.

Like what he (Steve) posted awhile back when someone questioned his money flow and ability to sustain RD as a company. Steve Miller said...

"Man, I throw stacks in Atlanta every weekend"
(or something to that effect)

That cemented him as a douche IMHO.
Especially when at the time he couldn't come through on warranties or per-orders.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3177
Canaan summed it up, thats about the same from what I can remember. Shame what happened with the whole thing, they had a lot of loud guys running their equipment and doing well.

I agree with MS the Sonances sound awesome. I've still got 2 bnib, another in my HT which is soon to be delivered to a co-worker and 2 with failed leads that I may make into some frankenwoofers. My 1750's are just chillin at the moment

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 17106
I still have an rd sq 12 sitting in the box never used.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24761
^^^^Keep holding onto it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17107
Oh I will. As a backup.

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

Phnom Penh Cambodia

Post Number: 1889
i'm still running my rd alpha 15" i bought from kevin holden awhile back. I was looking to downgrade and i emailed the rd website but never heard anything back. Berny said they don't reply online and you have to call in...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24767
Hey I'm still running my 18" Q so if the shoe fits.........

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11896
Ah i see. Thanks for the explanation canaan. lol.

So they really are dead, thats a shame.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 697
Yeah I have 2 15" sonance V2's They are great subs. I was in the group buy pre-order for the 3250.1 V2's and have the amp BNIB. Was waiting for the fix to come but then the company died.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 12102
I heard a certain "someone" was taking over RD along with his own line....without saying names, anyone have info on this? I know someone knows who I'm talking about lol.

I was told I wasn't allowed to say who by this person but I know he told others lol.

Btw, big shocker RD went under....

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3462
I have heard nothing of the sort personally but if I'm correct on my assumption great things are to come..

To throw a guess out, does this person have 2 first names, Yanks? lol.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 12103
Negative lol. But with that said, my information is months old because I fell away from car audio.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24780
Fag.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24781
I retract that.

Yanks is an upstanding non posting member.

Where you been bro?

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 12104
Lmao jeeeez thanks pr!ck

I've been here and there Pauly. Trying to find a big boy job right now while I finish school. I actually just finished redoing my room substantially so if I get bored I'll throw up pictures of it all. Still haven't had time to uninstall my system to sell

How's life on your end?

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 463
My rd 1000.1 version 1 is a beast. Bought it used from Andrew capps 2-3 years back, still using it without a problem. Then I bought the second version of the same amp and a sonance v2 during the last preorder. Both lasted maybe two weeks, sonance had lead problems from the start and the amp chitted out on me outta no where. Steve told me hed spend a recone and to send the amp in for repair to db-r. I asked about the warranty and never heard from the guy again, still no sonance recone either. But maybe like Donnie said, make a frankenwoofer with the sonance motor.

And like paul, I'm now running a fi sub and it does what I need

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17110
Yanks fan did my brother ever get back to you?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24782
Good to hear Yanks. Life is trucking along for me.

As far as a "big boy" job it all depends on what you're capable of. To do for others what they can't do for themselves. Now if you can find a job that pays you well enough AND makes you happy going in everyday then you've hit the lottery. Unfortunately the real world isn't as sugar coated for us masses. Mostly you hate the place and most everyone in it, waiting for your "chance opportunity" that may never come.

I'm still waiting for mine.

Before you know it you're 40 wondering where the last 20 years went and starting to turn the music down.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 12105
He never did Sean but no worries, I'm going to take care of it myself I think.

Yea I hear that. I just got my first lesson on not getting your hopes up for something. I had a job all lined up that was given to me paying $20 an hour plus a guaranteed job out of college next year paying $50k and that just fell through thanks to our lovely federal budget problems. I've got my resume with 100 people right now just hoping one hits.

But hey, who's to say I won't get a call tomorrow?

I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2363
i have had a couple of alphas and still have the 3250.1 v1

i think the product was great.......but the products i had happened to be the early stuff

the only bad thing i can say about RD is the resale value......there is none.

i was flamed for trying to sell the amp for $450. its rock solid and in great condition

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24784

quote:

i was flamed for trying to sell the amp for $450. its rock solid and in great condition

That will come from buyer beware syndrome. Even if a great product is for sale without support ppl tend to lean elsewhere.

It's a catch 22. If it's such a great product then why won't they answer their phones? Even though they don't know why.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17111
Thats exactly why i wont touch any rd amps.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11898
Usually when ppl but used amps theres no assumption of warranty... and if one did need repair, db-r works on those, so I don't see a problem there.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 464
Only problem there is your reading comprehension. The amp I bought used still works flawlessly. The ish I bought brand new directly from Steve on preorder chit out early. Real early. And he told me to send it to db-r, a brand new amp failed outta no where and he wouldn't stand behind his product, that's a problem. What about the recone for my sonance, not a problem either?

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 5129
I still have my 15" alpha sitting in my garage. guess ill be keeping that for a while instead of selling it lol

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11899
Wasn't talking direct to you zack... was actually responding to sean's post

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17114
You do have a point MS.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 466
Lol ok but it does read as if you were talking directly to me as I'm the one who said something about a used amp and getting repairs from db-r. Just my intrep

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3179
"i was flamed for trying to sell the amp for $450. its rock solid and in great condition"

Whoever flamed you is a complete idiot lol. shoulda just wrote sundown on the case and everyone would have jumped on it lol. (not bashing sundown)

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3295
Daniel,

Let me know if you still want to sell it. Pm I have a buddy who has 450 and is looking for a RD 3250.1

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2269
450 for a 3250.1????? Thats for teh CHEAPS!!!

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2366
sent ya a pm homeboy

ya it was dbag snow. he shiit on my thread because the "newer, better" rd3250.1 v2 was on presale for cheap

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3183
Avoid the 3250v2 any way you can! I don't even think I would give a $200 for one, almost every one of them amps blew. Complete different amp than the 3250v1. I almost had myself a pair of 3250v1's until that dbag Keven S (owner of Skar audio) gave me the run around.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us