Information first install FI q 12"

Username: Kingoftroy

Post Number: 1
Hey subwoofer enthusiasts

This is my first post here and also my first sub install..kinda excited and yet nervous because I dont want to mess up lol..your help would be greatly appreciated!

So I have a 2004 Chevrolet Epica..and I want to add bass to it..I am looking for good sq that also pounds pretty good and from all my research I have decided on the FI q 12" or the RE xxx 12". I wil l be installing 2 of these subs so there will be 2 12" subs in the end. here are my questions

1) are these subs good, what is your experience with them?
2) What amplifiers do i need to purchase for them? I want to give them the max power they can safely handle so it can shine
3) Do I need to buy an extra battery or replace my alternator?
4) what is the big 3? Do i need to do this for my install?
5) what kind of box (sealed or ported) is recomended? Also what dimensions and what hertz tuned to?

Thanks for your help guys
im sure ill have more questions later lol
cant wait to get this puppy installed

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Tofino, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 934
1) Haven't personally heard the Q, many MANY great reviews on it, definitely a quality subwoofer, would be surprised if you weren't happy with it.

2) As for an amp, look into AQ 2200D for a pair of Q's.

3) Most like need a new alternator while running that kind of power, and you will also have to upgrade your big 3
Big 3 consists of:
i. Battery + to Alternator
ii. Battery - to Frame
iii. Battery - to Engine Block

Very inexpensive upgrade and makes a huge difference.

5) I'll let someone else tackle box recommendations as I've never heard one.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3464
i used to own an 18" Q. they definitely live up to the hype. as Skies said, an AQ 2200D would work good for them. any amp in the 2k-2.5k range would work but you won't find a better deal than the AQ.

you will want a new alternator to get the most potential from them. you can probably get away with another battery and upgraded big 3 (which you will need) until you do. be sure to get one in there when you can, though.

enclosure wise it depends on what you want them to sound like. if sealed they will be more SQ oriented with a more flat eq. ported will be louder and peak in certain hz ranges. if ported tune from 28-32hz. i had mine at 28hz to show off the real low end they can put out and it still sounded great. you may gain a little upper frequency, say 60-80hz, if sealed. dimensions will be what you can fit in your vehicle. just make sure it is within the recommended size for them.

Post Number: 2
Okay I will probably be buying the fi q's

1) should I get the dual 1 ohm or 2 ohms versions? and do i get all the extra options that fi allows you to install?
2) if I get that aq2200d amp would that supply 1100 watts rms to each of the subs?
3) where can i get the new alternator and batteries?

thanks for the help guys

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2043
i love my Q, i give mine 1500-1800 watts daily, i would say stay around 1200 watts per and you shouldn't have any issues. the options you need to get will depend on the box size you can get if low space sealed or larger space ported. depends on the type of base you are looking for, that will decide the rest.

talk to bassman about box's or hit his site. http://www.dldesignz.com/ .

for amp i would say saz-2500d or AQ 2200D or one of the crescendo 3kwp or wait a bit they are coming out with a wider range of amps.

for alts check out DC power inc or mechman, don't bother with caps, get some good batt's. use some good OFC 1/0 wire to start and save your self the pain later.

big 3 is a must.

Post Number: 3
how does a saz-2500d amp sound for my system?

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3465
if you add the options to the Q it would be a great combo.

if i may ask, what is your budget for this?

Post Number: 4
Im looking to spend as least as possible of course but anywere from 2k-3k..might as well do it right the first time and have a system thats good!

500 for the subs, 500 for the amp, 500 for the alternator, and around 600 im guessing for the isntall/box thats around 2k so far

Post Number: 5
I just called a car stereo shop and they say that subs over 1000 watts arent truely 1000 watt rms amps because they exagerate it...what do you guys recomend for a amp that pushes 2000+ TRUE RMS?

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3466
they are full of crap. all that is needed to confirm an amps output is a clamp/bench test. many people perform them and post results online that prove it. the AQ will definitely put out what it says it will, and the Sundown will do even more than it claims. you will need adequate electrical upgrades to achieve this, though.

junk brands (boss, crunch, audiobahn, pyle, etc) are then ones that will not do claimed rms.

Post Number: 6
Thanks eric! Its still a toss up between the AQ or the SAZ...but which sub do you think is better DUAL 1 or Dual 2 ohms?

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2045
depends on what you want your final ohm load to be, so lets say 1 ohm so dual 1 ohm.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp~Q~2~I~12

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp~Q~2~I~12

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3467
the debate between the AQ and Sundown is basically your wallet.

by going directly through the dealers you are looking at an $877 difference between the AQ + 2 Q12's and the SAZ + 2 fully loaded Q12's.

as Deathoob stated, you choose your voice coil configuration based upon what load you want to see at the amp. on paper the difference in specs between a D1 and D2 sub is minimal. audibly you won't be able to tell.

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 154
Just wanted to add a side note, Like deathoob said, crescendo is realeasing a new line of amps called the Bass Clef. They are actually in stock now and from what I have read they are quality amps. They are actually in stock now, idk why Crescendo didn't update their website and give the amps their own pages, but if you look at the 3kwp page it says this:
"[NEW BASS CLEF SERIES AMPS IN STOCK. BC2000, BC3500 AND BC5500. Call 941 257 4767 for questions or to place your order or email us at sales@crescendoaudio.com for more info and payment options. Thank you! ]"

I believe I saw a bench test of the BC2000 on ssa forums saying it will put out 2150 wrms clean into 1-ohm at 13.8V and for the $299 price tag thats fantastic.

Also I can vouch for the AQ2200D, thats what I run in my car, I run it at 2-ohms and I couldn't be happier.

What kind of space you have in your car for these beasts?

Silver Member
Username: Nevertoomuchbass

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 268
I have 2 fully loaded Q 12's running on a MMATS 3000.1 and i absolutely love it. Q's are magnificent subs, and the 3000.1 is amazing as well. it might be out of your price range, but I bought mine 6 months old for $480 shipped. but i know the local mmats dealer here sells them new for like a grand. If you have the space, i definitely reccomend 5ft^3 after displacement, slot ported tuned to somewhere in the high 20's or low 30's. My box is tuned to about 30hz. You will not be disappointed with the Q's i garuntee you that. As for electrical, Im running stock everything except 1/0 big 3. I cant quite crank it full tilt without my voltage dropping too much, but i can get it pretty damn loud. ive got a deka 8a31 on the way so that should help. so First electrical upgrade should be your big 3. you dont need to spend a fortune on OFC either. I have all CCA except for my speaker wires and the short runs of 4ga that go to my amp. Knukonceptz is the place to go for wires. And second electrical upgrade should definitely be your alt. check out mechman, powerbastards, iraggi, dc power, HO alternator, and sometimes summit racing has some high output alts depending on your engine.

But heres my setup

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1206
Speed it like ricky bobby boy go fast...

I think you need some wu bangin in there son!

Post Number: 10
LOL will I actually saw your video on youtube a while back when i was doing research on the FI
banginnng system

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 961
those mmats amps are so small

Silver Member
Username: Nevertoomuchbass

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 271
lol Art, believe me i bang a lot of Wu in there. they will forever be my all time favorites.

haha thats pretty cool! theres only like 1 or 2 other people on youtube who have a dual Q 12 setup. theres a guy whos got them in an extracab slammed ranger thats pretty badass. hes just got a budget crunch amp runnin them but they pound. I love my Q's though. If i ever get rid of them, ill probably just get some more. I love high excursion subs that can take a lot of power.

and yeah they really are tiny. my friends got an orion D5000 that makes only 2500 watts and its like 3 times the size of the mmats 3000.1
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us