JL W3, JL W7, FI Q?

Username: Ccleaven

Post Number: 1
Hey guys...so I have 2 1000 W 12" sony xplod subs and a 1200 W sony amp.....basically they suck and I want better subs...I want a very clean sounding sub that can still be loud.....I am wondering what to get between these three options, how many, and if I can keep my sony amp or if I should get a new one?

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2261
are you looking for new subs only or are you also willing to change the amp as well?

Post Number: 2
I would be willing to change the amp if it meant they would sound a lot better but I cant buy a really expensive one.....Im looking on craigslist and one guy is selling 2 w3's with a kenwood 1000 W amp....one guy has 2 w3's and a 1- Legacy LA4299 4-Channel 4200 Watt Bridgeable MOSFET Amplifier...there is also a guy with a w6 but idk what amp comes with it....I cant find a used FI Q so I would buy that off the website if people think its better than the JL's

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1210
That sony amp will hold you over till up can save up enough for a good one. I wouldnt waste my money on a kenwood or a legacy amp. There both junk.... As for a sub or subs id go with the Q. What kind of budget are you working with here?

Post Number: 3
Well I easily have enough money to buy any amp I want I was just looking at packages on craigslist that had subs and an amp in good condition for 400-500 dollars....I would probably get the Q if I could find a good price for the sub and a box but havent found anything yet....is it really that much better than a W6 (clarity wise)?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8644
w6 12's hell yeah...

Post Number: 4
Well if I went with the W6 I would only do 1 probably....would that be cleaner than 2 W3's?

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 165
yea the W6 is JLs most sound quality oriented sub, it would be cleaner than a pair of W3's. Honestly though both the Q and the W6 are leaps and bounds over Xplods. You will be much happier with either.

I do think that the Q has a bit more SPL potential than the W6 while remaining a great sounding sub, and it can handle twice the power that a W6 can handle. I would go for a new Fi Q over a used W6 unless you can get it for real cheap.

Post Number: 5
Hes selling the W6, box and the amp that powered it for 275 so Im gonna go listen to it and see if I like it

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5473
Is It a w6v2 or an older w6 ? Big differance.

Post Number: 6
He said its a w6v2

Post Number: 7
I don't want something that rattles the whole car and sounds like s**t...all the videos of the FI Q I see on youtube do that which is the opposite of what I want. I want a good clean punch that can be loud but doesnt sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4zxFlVIrA&feature=related

Username: Caraudio4life

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 10
the ssa dcon 12's sound decent and are on sale right now for 125 a piece, ive never heard a w6v2 clarity wise just subbin from a wendy's lol but i can pledge for dcon. they are gonna be my next subs.

Post Number: 8
Also someone is trying to sell me a TC 3000 15" I think it was....is it a good sub and is it going to be as clean as I want it....or should I stick with W3's or a W6?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5475
tc, w6, q are all good choices. and for 275 for the w6, amp and box is a good deal imo..If the amp is decent.. Also the Sony 1000 watt amp would run the w6 decently giving it about say 400-600 watts at 2 ohms. idk what sony amp you have, but im sure it will be ok for now running a single 12". Just dont clip the sub to death with it.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
Yea thats not a bad deal on the w6 assuming the amp is decent.

Just an FYI tho, 95% of the videos you see on youtube with people demo-ing their subs... they just don't sound the same in person. Usually the camera is so close to the subs (or the subs are so loud in general) that the microphone built into the camera distorts. That isn't what the Q will sound like.

Post Number: 9
Yeah I know I was just trying to get a feel for it because no one around me is selling a used FI Q so I dont have anything to base it off of....so would the TC 3000 or the W6 be cleaner but still have a lot of kick?....also the guy has an IDMAX 12" and an alpine amp to go with it for $450...but i dont know anything about IDMAX....what is everyone's opinion?

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
IDMAX is an awesome sub, gets loud and does it clean. Not sure if its worth $450 tho... better be a nice amp with it.

IDMAX alone sells on ebay for around $200 used normally.

I cant comment on the TC cuz ive never heard one.

Post Number: 10
So would the IDMAX be better for me than the w6? I could probably negotiate with him on the price

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I have to buy the W6 set today if I want it so I need to know if I should buy the W6 and amp or wait and hear the guys TC 3000 and IDMAX....if I want the cleanest sub

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1211
If the amp isnt junk i say go for the w6. The idmax does seem a little high,but i guess that depends on what amp comes with it. As for the tc ive never heard a 15'' 3000,but i run 2 12'' tc epics in my car now an i absolutely love them. I also run a 15'' Q in my other car and i love that too so..... Would space would be an issue here? A box for a 15'' sub would be a bit larger than one for a 12''.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Ok...I will most likely go with the W6 today....assuming prices are the same is the IDMAX better than the w6?...and if only 1 sub I can fit a box for a 15" sub....and the amp with the w6 is a 750 Watt Rockford Fosgate (dont know what model)....would that be better or worse than my Sony XM ZZR3301 1200 W?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
And I just found a guy selling a W6 with a sealed box($275 W6 is ported) and a MTX 800 Watt Thunder 801 D amp...which would be better?

Username: Jonjon38901

Post Number: 2
to me jl audio are crappy get u some alpines or if u want to get up in the money buy 1 15 inch ma audio hk15 i hit a 148.8 db with just one in my impala with a pro box or better yet buy a pro box for the subs u got u will be shocked how much more bass u get with just the box change
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us