Audiobahns, Sound like $h*t!

Silver Member
Username: Jordon32990

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 200
I recently aquired a couple of Audiobahn AW1208T subs as part of a trade. I tested the coils before I took them, but I wasn't able to hook them up at the time. All 4 coils read between 3.6-4 ohms.

I wired them up to my Planet Audio RXD1400 @ 1 ohm and the subs sounded awful and were hardly moving. On top of that aluminum cones were getting very hot.

Is this some kind of wiring issue I should look into or are the subs locked up?

Thank you for any and all input.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3432
well, to start, those subs are 1500wrms. you are severely under powering them. from the sounds of it, you are clipping the sh!t out of your amp, sending dirty power to the subs, and starting to cook your voice coils. that is why the cones are hot. i'm assuming you have no electrical upgrades..

as for the sound issue, my buddy had an aw1508t. by far the worst sounding sub i've ever heard. my terrible sounding L7 15's could be SQ subs in comparison. almost had a hollow like sound to it. he had it ran off a hifonics amp with 1kw. still not enough power for it, but enough to get it moving.

if all you care about is getting loud, stick with them, but get a bunch more clean power. if you care about sound quality in the least, get something else.

Silver Member

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 201
Just had another thought. Could the box be a factor? I was kind of skeptical if the box was big enough for these subs.

Upload

Upload

I have never had any subs act like it before. Especially with good coils like it has.

Silver Member

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 202
I had the gain at half power, and absolutely 0 bass boost. Same setting I use on my RE SX 18 and nowhere near the same result. I am planning on selling them, but I can't do so with a clean consience if something may be wrong with the subs.

Just realized I wrote down 1208t and they are actually 1206 model.

Silver Member

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 203
The AW1206T is rated at 1,100 rms each. They were being fed at least 500 watts each. I turned the gain up to about 3/4 gain and it was louder but sounded so much worse. Very hollow like it was loud sound.It certainly didn't feel like subwoofers.

So is that normal for these subs? They just need to be fed a ton of clean power? Apparently 1k clean is nowhere near enough for them. In that case, anyone interested in them? $200 shipped. Hit me up.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8609
u must be doin something wrong..

those were the good batch from audio bahns.. ill buy them for 120 shipped.. its what i have on my paypall.. and is around the same street value.. i got them for around 200 bucks new for the pair..

heres my subs back in the day..

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3150
Hmm, not trying to be a d!ck but are the coils all in phase?

Silver Member

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 204
I pieced together a diagram of the exact wiring I did for the subs before I tested them. The DMM read out 1.0 ohm exactly.

Upload

And I am not going to sell them for $80 man. I'm getting raped at 120 shipped. Shipping 60 lbs of subwoofers is going to be expensive as it is.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3153
That diagram is an open circuit lol.

Silver Member
Username: Atreidies

Houston, TX

Post Number: 107
Yeah, you are missing a few wires.

Upload

Silver Member

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 205
Hmmm, I am not 100% sure thats how it was wired or not. I will have to pull them out again to look. Could I still get a 1 ohm readout without having those 2 wires?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3433
they need 1k a piece. and if they are 4ohm subs you need them wired like this:

Upload

Silver Member

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 206
@ Porkchop Rob

What amp did you run on your set of Bahns?

Silver Member

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 207
They are dual 4 ohm. Currently read out 1 ohm on DMM. I am on my way to take another look at how they were wired up.

Silver Member

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 208
This is how they are really wired up;

Upload

This is how I think I should wire it.

Upload

Does that close the circuit correctly?

Silver Member

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 209
Alright they are wired up like my diagram above and bangin'. Although the input is turned down to about 1/3 because they drain my electrical like none other. I can have my SX at 1/2 all day and it wont drop past 13 volts. These Bahns need way more juice than I can push to them. Even though the sound quality still sucks, its noticably better than my last attempt. Thanks to all who helped me out, it is greatly appreciated. =]

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3154
Good to hear that it's working better. The above 2 diagrams are wired the same, basically just 180 phase change.

Looks like a split chamber box, have you tried just hooking up one of the woofers?

Silver Member

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 213
No, since I have had them they have always been together in the same box. I got them on trade along with a couple other accessories.
The box is dual chambered, I noticed when I pulled the subs out that one if the ports is about 3/4" closer to the back. Someone must have forgetten to account for the MDF thickness.
Now I got them up on Craigslist, may be parting with them this weekend.

Bronze Member
Username: Canaanwhiite

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 15
those subs work better in a sealed enclousure...try 2cu ft sealed each...you should get much better sound

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11815
lilrob running audioBURN... not surprising
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us