Home Audio

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 12088
Hey fellas, I'm redoing my room (I'll put up some pictures of before and after and the build, it's solid). But anyway, I'm looking for home theater stuff for it now because I'm done with car audio I believe. I don't need anything fancy. My buddy at Best Buy has the following picked out for me Denon 1611 receiver, Energy CB 20 speakers, and Energy CC 10 Center Channel Speakers. Personally, I know nothing about any of it. It runs me about $1000 which I'm not too pleased about. It sounded decent in the store. But I want A, opinions on that stuff if anyone has any experience with it and B, another option that you can present me with.

I'll throw my budget around $1k. If I can get away with $750 then I'd be thrilled. I don't need anything super fancy as I said. Solid sound quality is key for me. I'm playing with using my RL-s as my sub in the system but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Suggestions? Comments?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16911
go here for a denon reciever i bought mine here....they are alot cheaper

http://www.dakmart.com

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16912
dont go with bookshelfs for mains you wont be happy

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24559
It's a world of difference. You will notice the difference in speaker sensitivity like comparing a black bird to a swan.

Denon makes good receivers as does Onkyo. Priced within reach.

The one thing to remember in HT is power ISN'T everything. Sometimes it isn't anything. An efficient receiver can knock your socks off with only 100w. Compare ratings and match to your budget accordingly.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16913
the new onkyo recievers are junk........get a floorstanding speaker that will drop to at least 40 hz those bookshelfs you picked only go to 50 hz.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16914
http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Receivers/c4_9_15/p5042/Denon-Avr-1706-7 .1-CH-Home-Theater-Receiver-Bstock-w-Warranty/product_info.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16915
heres the one i have its even cheaper than that one

http://www.dakmart.com/p6523/DENON-AVR-587-7.1-RECEIVER-IPOD-XM-RADIO-READY-AUTH -DLR/product_info.html

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5907
If I was stuck buying speakers at BB I would go with Definitive. As far as receivers go -- in order would be: Pioneer, Harman Kardon, Denon, Yamaha.

Give me a call (preferably after 9 PST) John if you want to talk about details, I don't feel like typing a bunch of ish.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 319
I dunno how crazy you're getting but for subs look at Dayton Classic 300W RMS 18's, $110.66 if you buy 4. There are free box plans (google) of proven designs, like 4 or 8 (it's switchable, works either way) 18's in an isobaric/compound-loading 4th order. Stick a EP1200 or Behringer 2500W on it and you're set to wake up *rasta voice* JAAAMAAIIIICAA!!

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 12092
Sorry I haven't responded fellas. I do appreciate the info given so far.

When's a good night for you Brad? I'm fine any night for the most part. I would just like to get your opinion on stuff and I guess it's safe to say when it comes to audio, you know a thing or two :p

So book shelves are no bueno for real?

Sean and Paul, let me get both of your opinions as well, what brands would you recommend to stick with? How many speakers? I don't care about buying at BB and will probably end up buying online.

I feel like a n00b all over asking this hahah.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5921
Any night is good this week... tonight will work. Just make it after 9PST because my minutes are dwindling already and it's the 6th. Or weekends anytime. Unless you are on Verizon?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24579
I'm a fan of "piece" meal when it comes to HT. Sorry if it offends others. I just don't believe in those HTIB packages you get. I think you can do much better. Mind you I have an older Technics receiver and CD player, sending signals to my towers, mids/rears and sub of different brands. Not top notch at all but works for me. I only wish I had the $$ to invest in more.

If I ever got off the damn PC more I would probably do so lol.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 328
What size and coil RL-S?

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2222
i believe the RL-s only came in a single 3ohm vc..im pretty sure thats correct.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 329
The RL-S is a nice looking sub for big ported or IB, not small sealed.

12" - recommended 2.5 cubes sealed (optimal car):

QTC 1.1439
FC 36.52 Hz
F3 .27 Hz

IB - 1000 cubic feet:

QTC .9705
FC 30.99 Hz
F3 24.7 Hz

It wants an even smaller box for HT.

15" - recommended 5 cubes sealed (optimal car):

QTC 1.2066
FC 32.3 Hz