RE Audio SE-X 12's. Opinions?

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 63
So my buddy is looking into upgrading from a pair of Sony Xplod's.

So far we have narrowed the options to a single DD2512 or a pair of RE SE-X 12's. I heard the RE SE-X was an SQL line (which is what my friend is looking for) but because of their low price I want to know what other people think of them before we make a descision. The plan is to tune the box for either of these setups around 31-33Hz.

All opinions are welcomed.

PS: I found this combo on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D390242466184&category=188 05&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_6866wt_1139
For those of you too lazy to look. It is:
Subs: 2x - RE AUDIO SEX12D4
Amp: HIFONICS BRZ1200.1D
Wiring: DB Link XK4B (4ga kit)
All for 449$ +free shipping

Silver Member
Username: Canaanwhite

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 110
youd be much better off with the DD ...they make good subs...the RE is nothing but Chinese crap...pretty much on the same level as Pyle or Pyramid....If you can get pre 06 RE it was well made and some of the first Chinese pieces were built with standards in mind...but each and every year the RE's get worse and worse...to now its right there with the crap brands....

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 232
Don't buy that "deal" on ebay. not a hifonics fan and i've never heard the new se x's. i own two of the older style se's mentioned above. they are fantastic subs. i bought 2 12's on craigslist for 75 bucks. if your friend is patient, he can find 2 of the old style. if not the dd is a no fail route. very solid subs. hand made in the u.s.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
CanaanWhite = still trollin?

As for the ebay deal, forget I posted that, lets just assume a pair of new RE SE-X's @ $300 flat vs a single DD2512 for ~$290ish i think they sell for.

The toss up is mainly based around cleanliness, we know the RE's will get louder, and we know the DD will save on trunk space, cost is almost equal. We are no strangers to DD so we dont need to be talked into buying DD, just need learn alittle more about RE.

Thanks for any non-troll input in advance

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 200
old re=great. new re=ok at best. like evryone else said if you can find older re se's get em but i wouldn't bother with the new ones. may also check out t3 t600, audioque sdc2.5, skar audio 12, and sundown sa12 can be had right around 150 dollar mark if you look around

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 913
Yea,ive heard the new re's are junk too. Theres so much better out there. Whats the budget exactly? Does he need an amp too? Think of maybe doin a single 15''?

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 233
Anyone used those skars yet? they look decent.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Im going to say the budget is ~$300 for subs but don't consider that solid.

The goal is to get alittle louder than his sony Xplods, and a hell of alot cleaner.
His old setup was a pair of the "better" Xplods, not the red ones but the black ones. taking about 200 RMS each. Sealed.

The amp that is going to be used is a Hifonics BRUTUS BXi1210D
Before the Hifonics bashing starts, its "rated" for 1200 @ 1 ohm so we are assuming it is over-rated and we will only be running it at ~ 900-975 @ 1 ohm. The reason we are using this amp is because we already have it and its just sitting around.
I am a student at the University of Central Florida, so I was actually thinking about talking to someone in the physics department to see if I could bring in a car battery and the amp into a lab and use an oscilloscope.

On that note I think he is going to be waiting a few weeks before the purchase of the sub(s) so we have a time cushion to figure out what will give the best bang for the buck.

About the single 15", yea I guess that is an option too, hes just afraid the volume of a ported box tuned low for a 15 is going to be too large, while 2 12's ported will be about the same volume and louder. But yes its still under consideration if the price is right.

We will be designing and building the box ourselves.

EDIT: Looking at DC Audio's subs, how much would a pair of DC level 3 12's cost? Or DC level 4 15"?

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 202
dc is very good, although i don't know the prices and think they only sell direct. may try the ssa forum and ask. with that amp though you'd only be able to get either 2 lv3's or one lv4.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15746
id skip the re too

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Yea ok I guess well skip the RE's... lol

Trying to get him to consider an Fi Q 15 right now.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 424
the best bang for your buck is audioque sdc2.5 12's they are dual 4 ohm and will wire to 1 ohm. perfect for your amp.
re audio's new se series is actually very good, not sure why so many people are hating on them, far from pyle quality.
dc lv 3 12's are your best choice for getting loud but also have great sound quality, right about on par with the re audio sex.
dc would be my choice if you know someone who can get you a discount and get them cheap.
or if not, and you want loud bass the aq is the way to go. b stock they are 140 shipped each.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 425
oh and also stay away from dd until you start messing with the 3500 series and up. the 2512 would not be a great sub. 2 other 12s will be louder and will sound cleaner than that sub, for the same amount of money
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us