The question everyone hates...

Bronze Member
Username: Thelonewolf1985

Post Number: 43
Hi all, first let me apologize in advance for my post, i need some help deciding on a sub well prob 2 for my car(in a while going to save and get something i will really like not just something cheap) as well as other gear. I am working on figuring everything out... I could use some help...

I really want a great sounding system with as little distortion as possible and still able to get reasonably loud.

The Car:2003 Subaru Legacy L Sedan

The HU: The HU I decided I will go with is the Pioneer DEH-P7200HD(unless someone changes my mind)

The Speakers: I think will end up with kappas. not sure yet...

The front stage amp: Undecided and open to options

The Sub woofers: I was thinking maybe 2 Fi Q 15s sealed but I dont know.
I need some trunk space still it has 12.4 Cubic feet avalible... And I do want the subs to go reasonably low.

The box: I will be going http://www.dldesignz.com/ all the way no matter the subs I go with...

The Amp: i am not sure what to go with here, i was thinking the aq2200D but id doesn't do.5 ohm stable and i was thinking of 2 dual 2 ohm Fi audio.

The alternators: 2 200amp Bosch alternators.(waiting for confirmation that I can fit them and the amp rating.

The batteries: unknown

ANY thoughts or recommendations? Not too many real audio shops where i live to go listen to stuff. I am up in NH almost into MA and VT...

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1402
get dual 1's and wire for 1 ohm, and maybe a used or refurb saz-3000d or a saz-2500D it is .5 stable but they don't cover the warranty if you break your amp at .5.

don't get crappas. maybe Bravox Audio CS50CF Components or CDT or DLS i think is the other ones.

sax 125.2 or sax 100.2 or AQ4X90 for front stage amp.

http://www.shurikenonline.com/SK-BT120.html

who are you getting your wire from?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8283
For batts....I have run Deka/Powermaster/Kinetic/Optima and everything in between. But the latest install I did in my Avalanche, BatCap really surprised me.

I only had a stock Alt/batt and 2 Deka 9a31 batts in for Scraping the Coast this year and did 150.4dB @ 38hz. Replaced my big Deka group 31 batts w/ 2 BatCap 3000's (2 fit in the space that 1 Deka took up) and gained 0.3dB, also my dimming at idle decrease drastically. Now I would recommend BatCap 2000-3000-4000 batts to anyone.

Also, if you are a novice and you are not seasoned on hearing clipping. I highly recommend the AQ amps. They have the remote gain control w/ the clip-light that will really help you.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1727
You could always look into the crescendo's 3kw amp. I believe that one is still under warranty at .5 ohm.

As for the infinity kappa's i think for the price they are an excellent speaker, especially when it comes to one of the louder comp sets. I have owed a pair and installed a couple pairs. Although they don't sound like higher end speakers quality wise they also don't cost nearly as much. I think there a great bang for the buck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
after reviewing people's recommendations so far... i may need to rethink my kappas... hmmm

I know what clipping sounds like, i do pro audio stuff from installs to live shows... i know the enemy well... almost as well as my #1 hated enemy feedback...

wires... probably knukonceptz

batcap really? i dont think i would ever consider them... who knows... research research research...

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2320
ive got a few things you may be interested in

used rd 3250 v1 - $400
http://rdaudio.net/products/amps/rd-3250-1d

brand new CDT EF-61CFi/25 components
these components have the silk dome tweets and the EX-560i crossover upgrade - $150

used pioneer avh-p5900dvd with ipod cable and i think i have the remote.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/DVD-Receiv ers/AVH-P5900DVD

this has the classic pioneer fuse problem. this is fixed by grounding the RCAs which i have done - $300

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
i will be buying all new gear for this build, thanks for the offer though!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
though i may be interested in the CDT components

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2321
right on - just let me know

Bronze Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 48
i sent you a PM and haven't heard back Daniel Bonham, I was looking for specs and pics on the cdt components... thanks

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2183
for the speakers, go to a local audio shop and listen to several different sets. Write down the models and then come back and tell us which speaker set up you liked the most and why. This will help us determine if you want more midbass, silk/aluminum tweets, etc. each person has their own set of liistening preferences. People can tell you all day that the Kappa speakers "suck", but if you are completely happy with them then who cares about what other people say, right?

Bronze Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 49
the shops around are walmart and boomers... all crap audio... thanks though

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15329
if you have to make a drive to a good shop then

Silver Member
Username: Thelonewolf

Post Number: 164
a GOOD shop is probably 2 hours away... i guess i may have to plan a day...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15332
wow thats a lot of gas

Silver Member
Username: Tiki89

Post Number: 397
OH GOD HES BACK

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15336
nice to see you too treo

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
lol yea but ill prob take the bike...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13861
I just read the initial post, but I'd suggest you stick to one sub, as large as possible if you can. I'm a fan of keeping things simple, and one good sub will outperform two lesser subs 9 times out of 10. That said, the Fi Q is a great sub. Look at the SSD as well, and consider going with a single 15" and feed it about 800-1200 watts continuous. That should give a great output, and be very clean. I'd also recommend going ported over sealed, given the choice.

Bronze Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 50
GlassFolf thanks for the info, i have looked at SSD and im not sure, i have time to weigh the options too... not going to jump into anything. i dont really have the space to go ported, plus wont going sealed give me tighter response? i thought going dual 15 sealed would give me nice clean tight bass and still get reasonably low as well as giving the ability to be louder due to the fact i would have more cone area therefore more movement. let me know if i am wrong about this... it would severely rock my world...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13868
this really depends a lot on your source material, listening habits, type of vehicle, etc.. sealed will have less transient delay, but ported is going to hit lower, and much harder in the lower range if it's tuned properly. It will also need less power to do so. A single ported 15 will take less space and need less power than two sealed 15s will. Have you considered using an 18 instead?

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
i have considered it, i just dont know...perhaps... i have a lot to consider and i wont be choosing till i am sure what i really want... i like to listen to a large variety of music at different levels depending on who is in the car with me. i like my music loud. i like to feel it... maybe i will do an 18, i was considering a bl... i need to do more research to figure it out...

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1424
find people with the equipment you are looking at and give it a go.

Bronze Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 51
tough to do up here most people run dual, kicker, sony, pioneer, VR3, rockford fosgate, audiobahn and maybe alpine on occasion... i did some on some systems for people and tried to let them know dual is not the best brand or that audiobahn is terrible... i had one person tell me that audiobahn is the highest quality sub made and that nothing can hit harder than them... i had to walk away... i used to work at a service station as the assistant manager and i would hear terrible clipping and tell kids i can make that sound better for you, and in a matter of mins they would be like wow... thats sounds decent what did you do? i would try to explain but they didnt understand gain is not volume control...one kid even gave me 100$ once that was cool...

Username: Ozz75

Post Number: 1
Hi people,
I need a code for my becker traffic pro car radio 4725. It's locked after removing and ask for a code now. Can someone please help me with the code?
serial number: 25090310

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1426
take that crap out of hear, try the head unit people not sub's. they steal sh!t all the time.

Username: Ozz75

Post Number: 2
thanks

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2324
PMs do not work very well on this site. it is supposed to send to my email, but i rarely receive them

im not too sure as far as specs go. i bought them from mike at exige audio....i think hes vertex audio now

anyways - he told me to run around 150-200 watts per side

Bronze Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 52
i prob will take them, ill have to figure out something for rear fill speakers

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2325
sounds good - just let me know
« Previous Thread Next Thread »