SSA Icon vs Fi Q vs AA Havoc

Silver Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 169
I have narrowed my woofer search down to the three above.

It will be powerd by eather a sae-1200d or a saz-1500d, (depending on what i can find) Going in a ~4.5 cuft tuned to ~32-33.

I am upgrading from a Loaded SSD and a kicker zx1000.1.

What do you think would be the best in your opinion as far as sql.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 803
All 3 seem like good choice,but I can only speak for the Q. I have a 15'' Q in a 4cuft @35hz on a aq1200d. I Love it,sounds amazing,gets pretty dam loud,and hits the lows very nicely. The only thing that i would maybe think about doin is tuning lower like your saying around 32-33.

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 170
sean, does your Q, at full output give you any body feeling, if you understand what i mean, like it shakes your chest or its noticeably harder to breath, or am i shooting to high for my expectations on 1200rms?

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1387
depends on how use to bass you are, apparently ~142db is not loud to me any more. i do love my Q tho, sounds good and has made people think my windshield is going to pop out.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 804
No,i think you can get pretty loud off of 1200wrms. Deathhoobs right tho,i think you get used to it after awhile. Is this an upgrade from a smaller woofer or was your ssd a 15?

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1221
That type of deep bass you're thinking of is going to be dependent on the enclosure for it to hit those low frequencies. I'm not sure if the 1200 rms is going to be enough for what you're describing. Everyone says the Q's are low end monsters so you wouldn't be wrong going with one. Now the Xcon does have 3 more mm of excursion but that isn't a huge difference. The Q is also a little cheaper.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 806
What are you looking to spend?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-638

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 171
My top dollar was going to be the $350 range AA Havoc becuase if I did decide to get that,(from what i have heard its the bigger brother to the Q) It would be stretching my wallet and i would have to wait for a few weeks paychecks to come in before ordering. Also have to figure like $50 for shipping or around that, i think thats what my SSD was.

@ sean my ssd was indeed a 15"

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2474
All 3 are good choices. Not many people run SSA so that would be my pic, though the Havoc looks awesome.

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 172
@ troy - Thats why i don't want to just go pick up a Q, because everyone and their mother has one lol. I havnt heard of that many people using icons or havocs besides the vids on youtube

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1396
my choice would be the SSA.....

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 173
@ death - you have the 15 if im not mistaken, what does your sub weigh ~ do you know? Also what options did you get on your Q

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2479
2 locals I talk to often have Havocs. One has 1 15 on 1 saz-1500, it flexes his honda accords windshield like crazy and sounds really good. I was surprised by that one.

Another has an saz-3000 and 2 15s, they sounds retarded loud, though I don't know how it would meter. The lows are nice and the subs are clean looking.

I've never heard bad things about either sub, ever, but with the SSA I wouldn't feel like I was riding the wagon.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1397
yah i have a 15" Q its ~40-43 pounds. if it didn't need need 3.8 cubes to be happy i would get a second one.

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 174
Yeah, i am leaning toward the icon becuase it seems like a sick sub that not many people have, and it has nothing but good reviews, i think i may be decided on an Icon After a day or two it will be decided.

Silver Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 108
xcon

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 605
I had the new 12" icon for a few weeks, put ~1000 to it in a 2.5 and its sounds just as clear and tight as my brahma but didnt really shake the lows imo. If I was you id try out the havoc.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 807
Just curious,what didnt you like about the ssd?

I think if it were me,id go with the icon too. I hear they sound amazing!

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1400
i want to know as well.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 899
I am biased in this topic, so I won't vote. But I can say easily that all three drivers are excellent choices. The Havoc has the power handling advantage.

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 175
@ sean/death - I loved my SSD, the only reason i really sold is because a buddy from work said he wanted to buy my system, and i said i would sell him the stuff for what i bought it for, because i didnt really want to get rid of it in the first place. But he agreed and i saw it as an opportunity to try something new, and upgrade a bit .

As for why i didnt like it and wanted to up grade.... I wanted it to be louder first off, It did verrrryyyy good on the lows, but i want more. As for sound quality, the sub for the most part has great SQ untill you turn it up and start getting down n durty. On bass runs say 3-6 notes, it would sound a bit too muddy for me.

Having heard an IDmax 12 and a BL 15, I liked the SQ of the idmax, and i liked how loud the BL got but my elecrical cannot handle the 1500rms that my buddy is running to his. So i want to go in the middle of those two. Louder than my ssd but with better sound quality.

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 819
Okay why the hell would a FI Q be an option when you want SPL?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11428
um he didn't say that genius... all the subs hes looking at are SQ based

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 177
Please read the last paragraph Mr. Zerilli.

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 179
Please read the last paragraph Mr. Zerilli, I believe it says i want it to be LOUDER than my SSD with better SOUND QUALITY.

Idk what you don't understand about that, but to me i made it pretty obvious. You must be drunk.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 811
From what it sounds like, your describing the way my Q sounds. I know,I know everybody an there dad has one,lol but theres a reason for that. Its a great sq sub that gets loud for a good price. I really dont think you can go wrong with any of the choices tho.

I had my choices narrowed down to the Q,RL-p or the icon. I went with the q,not because everyone has one(cause nobody in my area even knows what fi is) but because of the reviews of some of the guys on here. An the fact that ive never heard or read one bad thing about them anywhere. AND it was a little cheaper too. lol

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 180
Sean, I hear what your saying. No one around me really knows what Fi is eather, but on forums and stuff, people seem to have 10x experiance wiht the Qs, and I havn't heard alot about the Icons, but from what i have heard, it is a very very good driver, and I also heard that it is supposed to go down in price relitavly soon. The Q is more expensive if you get all options, wich i would becuase why not? heh. But its been hard to make a decision because ive been busy with school so maybe I will re-think my decision and look over it again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us