Good to have low frequencies again.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1222
So I sold my stuff a little while ago and have been cruising around with only ~50 Hz plus in my car. My girlfriend Kim and I were talking last week and realized she had her old amp and subs sitting at her mom's just collecting dust. So I hooked it up tonight and it sounds decent for what it is. It's two 12 inch phoenix gold QX124's in a sealed box. The amp is a MTX 251D. I tested the voice coil on each and both read 4.25 ohm. My question now is about setting the gain. The amp does 160 rms at 2 ohm on 12.5 volts and 250 rms on 14.4 volts. Playing it in my car my voltage is sitting at 13.9 volts. How much power is the amp producing on 13.9 volts at 2.125 ohm? I'm asking so I can know what to set the gain at. I guess this set up will make-do while I save up for a new install.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11430
GF who supports car audio? I bow to you sir. lol. All of mine have hated my trucks, stereos, etc... anything getting more attention/money

Now to answer your question, i don't say this often but the best way to go about it here may just be to do it by ear... its not much power difference you're talking about and mtx are not the best quality amplifiers in the world so you should hear the clipping fairly easily.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1223
Yeah she always enjoyed my system. The stuff she had was in an Integra she had bought years ago when she was 18. The subs and amp seem to be in pretty good shape, the box is questionable though. I'm going to look it over tomorrow and see how "sealed" it is or isn't. I might take a crack at making a new box for them this weekend. Shouldn't be too much and going sealed shouldn't be too difficult. I'm guessing the amp will be doing around 200 rms at that voltage. I'll fool around with it and see how it looks.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1224
As far as what I'm thinking of running in my car.. I'm fairly certain of running either a 15" or 18" Fi Q sealed and running it on 1k rms. I'm going to just work on getting all the parts seperately over a course of time. First thing on my list is going to be a bigger alt, then the amp, then the sub and last an enclosure. For the enclosure I was thinking about using birch and doing some sort of stained finish. Do the rounded edges on it and have it look really clean. I'll have Dustin do the enclosure for me, but nothin is set in stone until I have the sub sitting in my house. Having something in my car for the time being will be nice. Something is better than nothing.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11433
Hook em up and play some bass heavy music then just use your hand to feel around the box seams for leaks... i don't think there will be any but if there are they will be obvious

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1416
i vote set it for 200 watts and see how it sounds if u hear clipping turn it down but its so little current draw your voltage should stay up.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 814
^ I agree

And i think an 18'' Q in a sealed box would sound amazing!

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15351
congrats on having tunes again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us