What direction should my subs face?

Bronze Member
Username: Nevertoomuchbass

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 67
im putting 2 fi Q 12's in the trunk of my buick and its box building time. will there be a sound difference if my subs face rear or if they face up?

Silver Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 152
I had been messing with my other easier to move box before it blew out, and i found that if you face it toward your trunk it is a little bit louder, not that much though, but i would seal it off and face it in for your best results imo.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 68
toward the trunk, meaning rear facing? and facing in, meaning facing forward?

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 785
Every car is different. I found that when i ran to 12''s in mine,box put behind rear seats,with subs an port facing rear was the loudest. Now i run a single Q15'',sub up,port facing cabin is the loudest. So i think its just trial an error realy. Do your rear seats fold down?

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 69
no they dont. and behind the seats theres a piece of carpeted cardboard separating the trunk from the cabin. if my subs are rear facing it wont hurt my amp i its right in front of them will it?

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 786
No thats how i used to have mine setup an i never had any issues with it. Ive learned alot from this site,maybe this can help you out.

http://glasswolf.net/papers/boxdirection.html

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 70
alright thanks man!

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11374
As sean said every car is different, the only way to know is to experiment.

But with rear seats that dont fold, something that will help is making a passage between cabin and trunk. I usually do this in trunk car installs: Take out rear speakers since rear speakers do nothing but screw up soundstage, put the grilles back with no speaker there, boom, stock look and two decent size ports into the trunk.

Nice choice of subs btw, you will love them.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 71
no grilles with my rear speakers. they mount from inside the trunk. the rear deck is just a piece of fabric. but without my rear speakers i wont be able to hear anything over the subs!

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11375
Then your front stage is not good enough.

And in that case you could just put a piece of fabric over the holes if you wanted to make it look good.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15287
the way that a car is loud for spl can be different vs music we found that out recently for anyone that wants to know
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us