OT: Computer for my car

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 722
Whats up guys, i need a little help here. The computer in my car is toast an needs replaced. I have a friend thats going to help me switch it out but the cheapest i can find it local is $300 an i would still need to have it calibrated which is another $150. So... my question is, were can i find a good place online to get one thats already calibrated for cheap? Well,cheaper? I found this on ebay but im not to sure about it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-2003-2004-Dodge-NEON-Engine-Computer-ECU-PCM -ECM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ120584244794QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories

Any help would be great guys,thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Tucker, Georgia United States

Post Number: 413
The one you sent the link to is only $199 shipped. It has been my experience that with car on board computers, that there is not a whole lot of price play. It is the one auto part that does not seem to vary much in price from vendor to vendor. maybe if you can find a person that has a hook up on parts some where local with you might be an option. Or you might be able to get it certified used. Good luck man.

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Tucker, Georgia United States

Post Number: 414
http://www.car-part.com has your part for as little as $119 (assuming your car is the dodge neon) when i searched. just be careful with used parts. ask if they will offer you a warranty, if you decide to go that route.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 724
$199 is alot cheaper than i can get it locally. Im just not so sure about buying something like this from ebay. Anybody?

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1709
I usually use car-part.com. Also are you sure the ecu needs to be calibrated? I have swapped several ecu's in a number of cars and never had a problem.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8217
My thoughts on Dodge/Chrystler vehicles and their PCM's....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I just paid $1300 for PCM replacement and retarded labor prices (dealership) in a 2000 Ram Van. Took the dealership 6 weeks to figure out it was the PCM...even after I told the it was the PCM the day I brought it to them.

On a side note.
If you work for a Dodge dealership and a vehicle comes in (towed in) and the dash readout says "No Bus"...that should give you a clue that the data-bus signal from the PCM is not communicating w/ the dash cluster. So...A) test cluster...B) Test PCM...C) Test connections....its that F^(^%ing simple!!!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11322
Make a trip to eastern pa

http://www.wegotused.com

$25
The hazleton yard has a shitton on neons and similar cars.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 732
@Joe Really? Everyone keeps telling me its going to need calibrated,but idk for sure.

$25!? now thats more like it.lol To bad i couldnt talk them into shipping it to me.

$1300? ouch! A local place wanted $1000 to replace it in my car. Im just trying to figure the cheapest way to do it. Its really just a 3rd car(work car),so the cheaper the better.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1710
Actually don't count out shipping. I have had a number of salvage yards ship things to me from all over the states. I would go join a neon forum to answer the ecu calibration question, r just do a little bit of research.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11324
haha shipping? didn't even look at the link, did ya.

It's a u-pull-it yard, you go take the part you want out of the junk car yourself

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 733
No i didnt,i seen the $25 an got a bit excited.lol We have places like that around here too,and for a small fee they will take the part off for you. Anyway, I talked to a local dodge dealer today. Seems from 2000 on the computer has to be programed with the vin#,mileage an some other info. So one from a junk yard wouldnt work. Has to be vehicle specific. Its looking more an more like im going to have to buy a new one!
Unless i try this one from ebay for $199. They say they do all the programing for you too but idk. Thanks for the help though guys

Bronze Member
Username: Thelonewolf1985

Post Number: 29
i think they are screwing you... get a used one from a scrap yard and take it to a local mechanic with a proper computer and he ought to be able to change the values so you can plug it in...

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 734
Its posible,but unlikely. I can get one for $50 at the junk yard,but he doesnt even want to sell me the part because he knows it wont work for my car. Idk,theres a couple more things i want to try before i replace the comp. Are there any mechanics or people on here that know what there doin?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5358
yep, I went thru this a few times. Ive used http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/ They sell on ebay as well.
I wound up going thru the dealer because i needed it faster then they could ship. Cost like $800 plus labor.. Suxed big time.

The story...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/off-topic/588213.html

Now interesting enough, I got the new on from them and it has been sitting here for the last year, So today I decided to plug it in and see if it worked..,Got this code P0601 Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM)
So that means that this one is junk.
I then tried the one I got thru a random craigslist ad.. Read the link for info..Funny.
But anyway, that one worked fine, No programming was done to it, just a direct swap.
So, If you still with me, try here for a replacement, Some say the ones from junk yards are better then remans due tonot being messed with.

http://car-part.com/index.htm

Good luck.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 736
Wow,thats pretty crazy! So when your pcm went the car just died and wouldnt start at all? Im asking cause this is my problem. Engine light comes on,car starts runnin like chit(no power,real sluggish) I take it to a shop. He tells me the head an valves need replaced $800. I said no thanks im going to get a second opinion. Take it to another shop. They say the cars miss firing on to of the cylinders. Its the coil. So they replace ignition coil,pigtail an put new plugs an wires on. Nothing,still doin the same thing. So now there telling me its the pcm an its going to cost $1000 to do it. I told them nevermind I'll just do it myself. The more i talk to people the more im thinking its something else. Ive been looking online for similar situations but i cant find any. Maybe i should just take it to the dealer to see what they say is wrong with it. Idk,the whole thing is very frustrating an needs to be resolved soon.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5360
So, you get that figured out?

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1275
Have You taken it to autozone and have them pull the codes on the check engine light? its free....

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 750
Yea,i decided to try a pcm from a junk yard first. I was told that as long as its from the same year it should work fine. For $50 i think its worth a shot. It had to be shipped so hopefully its here today or tomorrow.

As for the codes... I had a shop pull them an its showing multiple codes. Some of which have already been changed,so this is what leads me to beleive its a computer problem.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15198
good luck bro

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 752
Update: Got the pcm from the junkyard yesterday.(car-part.com) Put it in,starts right up. Runs for about 2mins an shuts off. This happened a good 4 or 5 times. Then finally, it wont start at all. So after pissing with it for 3 hours, i finally call the dealership. They tell me it needs programed or the car wont run. So... i have it towed up there. Takes all of 15 mins to program it. Starts right up! Thank god. So far so good.
The reason it needs programed is because of the chip in my car key. The new or diferent pcm doesnt recognize the chip in the key so thats why the car goes into security mode an wont start or stay running. That is why it has to be flashed then calibrated with the car vin.
Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated!

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15211
glad to hear things worked out for you sean

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 755
Thanks sean.

Gold Member