18" RD Alphav3 dust cap getting hot

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 240
As of recently (about 2-3 months ago) my sub has been making a burning smell and when i go touch the dust cap it is pretty hot. its an RD Alphav3 powered by an RD 1750.1v2. been going strong for almost 7 months. there is no coil rub or anything like that. and i dont think the sound is getting clipped but i could be wrong. i did take a beach trip and a couple other dusty trips that might have gotten some dust in the sub since my box is ported. that might also be causing problems. but right now i am open to any suggestions. til then i'm gonna take it easy on her. thanks guys!

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8194
So, you have had is for about 7 months...and its blazingass hot summer.

Yep, timing it perfect.

Here is what I 'think' is going on.
You have had the sub for awhile and you are getting used to how loud it is. ~3months in you started pushing the sub harder and harder. Summer rolls around and you are pushin the sub harder because you have adjusted to the loudness....so you push it even harder.

Your in Texas, so I'm guessing it just a little warm over there (i know it is here in Louisiana...lol) The vehicles cabin is staying hotting and you ARE clipping the amp. Its getting worse because of the heat. The hotter the coil, the higher the resistance, more resistance = less power getting to the sub...so you push it harder still to get it louder.

If the dustcap is hot, the coil it hot as hell!
Back off on it a little or build a louder system.

Just my $0.02.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23256

quote:

i did take a beach trip and a couple other dusty trips that might have gotten some dust in the sub since my box is ported

Beaches have sand in my world, not dust lol. If you're getting sand inside your sub enclosure I wanna party with you!!!!!

Seriously tho Canaan has a good angle on your situation. You're probably pushing it too hard.

Silver Member

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 241
canaan i think you hit it right on the nose.

definitely going to go re-tune and turn everything down tomorrow. i usually cruise with the windows down and its been 100*+ here in san antonio.. guess i'm just gonna have to deal with less bass for a bit. argh. can never get enough :P

haha and yeah well the other day i took my sub out and vacuumed out a nice little pile of sand from the box.. it was a fun trip to galveston beach tho.

anyways thanks for the help guys its been too long since i've been on this forum!

Silver Member

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 244
well guys i think i figured it out. went in to upgrade my speaker wire and took out the ol multimeter for some testing. checked the first voice coil at 2ohms. looks good there. second voice coil. it was wandering around .5ohms. and when i only hooked up that one voice coil up to my amp, no sound was produced in the sub. looks like that voice coil is done. so not sure what to do from here. give steve miller a call? i've had it for over a year now. maybe its time to upgrade. been wanting a fi btl for a while now

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2417
I don't think he's around anymore. Sucks on the sub, you probably killed it over time without realizing it. If you don't get a bigger amp I would just get a bl and save some money. Good luck with it.

Silver Member

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 245
damn steve is gone? i went to the RD website and sent him a message.

you dont think the rd1750.1 has enough power for the BTL? my friend has a 15" BL that slams but idk ive been wanting to do 2 BTL's for a while now.. of course i'd only do 1 for now. i've got good charging so its getting plenty of power. well see. i guess i'll just keep bumpin 1 voice coil til she goes bye bye haha and i get some more funds set up for another sub
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us