OT-component amp help

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 342
i finally hooked up my component amp a couple days ago. i only did the passenger front door and am about to do the drivers. i deadened pretty much the whole entire door with edead 45. ran brand new 16 awg stinger hyper hpm speaker wire. and reinstalled the 5 1/4 alpine type s coax.

the amp is a kicker 08zx200.4, and i also ran some brand new rca's. i also switched them back with my old ones to see if it sounded better.

no matter how i adjust the settings on the amp and deck, it just sounds like complete $hit....

what the hell is the problem? what am i doing wrong?? please help..

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5339
"what the hell is the problem? what am i doing wrong??"

"reinstalled the 5 1/4 alpine type s coax"

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
^ yup, that was the problem. they sound fine through the head unit but through an amp even half volume sounded like $hit.

why is this? there not blown..

i hooked up a single explode 6x9 in a wedge style truck box and it was ear piercing loud..

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
looks like a set of good components just moved up on my list.

i want something that i could listen to at any volume all day long, and still not sound harsh or tin-like.

maybe something from DLS? they have nice smooth tweets right?
any ideas? tyvm

budget is $200.00 give or take.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11195
Alpine type S are not great but should at least sound ok... def better than a sony... My bet is you are overpowering them with the amp. If you want it louder some good components are in order.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3038
DLS is a great choice. Im running the MS6A 6.5 comps in my truck and they are great. Nice sounding tweets,they are not too harsh but still get plenty loud and the mids are just awesome! You can not go wrong with anything from DLS but here is a link to the ones Im running only mine are 6.5

http://cgi.ebay.com/DLS-REFERENCE-MS5A-5-1-4-2-Way-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-MS5-/16045 7932495?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item255c09becf

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3039
As far as an amp goes,the Keeker will work. Just bridge it to get 100wrms 4ohm x 2. The comps are rated at 80wrms but you will be ok.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Fcking H0M0S , Wear FipFlops!! US

Post Number: 4955
I was looking for a good set to go with my Diamond Audio D9 I have coming. Not much room in a mini so the components have to be LOUD , how loud are these? Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread...

Polo

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
thanks for the help guys.

@TWIZTID thanks for the link. i was checking those out, they seem pretty descent. and i no it's a 4 channel but it was only $90 shipped BNIB. so i just bridged it like you said.

@MS that's exactly what i was thinking, they should if anything sound better than a single explode...lol

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3043
Polo are you asking how loud the DLS comps are? If you are then you should probably look into a different set. The DLS tweets are not all that loud/harsh. I actually like a "harsh" tweet myself but the DLS are ok for me,for now anyways. Dont get me wrong the DLS comps are very very nice sounding and are very clear but I usually prefer a metal or titanium tweet. Like the Infinity Kappa Perfect comps,now those are LOUD! My next comp set will probably be the JBL MKII Ive been wanting to try them out for a while.

BTW where have you been Polo? I have not seen you around for a long time!

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3044
That a pretty good deal on that amp Steve. If you dont want to spend that much on the ones I linked you to you could always get these

http://cgi.ebay.com/DLS-REFERENCE-R5A-5-25-2-Way-CAR-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-R5-/1604 57904375?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item255c0950f7

Like I said you cant go wrong with anything from DLS. Let us know what comps you decide to go with man. Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 395
i have dls 6x9s and they honstly sound better than components costing 200 or more. blows away some sets at 300 easily as well. and they are very very smooth sounding. and they can really crank.i dont need them and i wouldnt mind sellin them

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Fcking H0M0S , Wear FipFlops!! US

Post Number: 4956
Been busy with work and other hobbies lol. When I say loud I mean as in still sounding good but at a much higher volume level, never like harshness. DLS has the Nobellium series (sp) but they are quite pricey. I'm looking for a set of three ways and a set of 6x9's for a little of mid enforcement not really looking for imaging lol. The two 10's and the strapped saz 1500's will take care of the lows. Not to bad for a mini cooper haha.

Polo

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3046
Polo,I say go with a set of 3 ways from DLS. They are well worth the money. The DLS sound great no matter what. I think they are just what you are looking for. If you go with a 3 way set you will not need the 6x9s,trust me. DLS mids are by far the best I have ever heard. They have plenty of mid bass and yet still sound good. My mids sound great and they are just installed in the factory locations with no deadening or anything. The tweets are very detailed and get plenty loud too.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3047
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2010-DLS-UP36i-3-WAY-6-5-SPEAKERS-SYSTEM-/150470028717?c md=ViewItem&pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item2308b66dad

Not a bad price on those considering sonicelectronix wants $200 more for them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
cwruck, thanks for the offer but i just want some nice sound from the factory locations.

twiztid, the r5a'a seem pretty good for the price also. and back to the getting loud thing, will they be able to keep up with a DD9515G?

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3048
Yea probably Steve but I would spend the extra 40 bucks and go with the MS5A. They have a bigger tweeter and the mids are a little beefier. Id say they are worth the extra $40.

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
ok, thanks for your help man. iv'e ben wanting to try some dls's ever since iv'e joined this forum. everyone seems to really like anything from them.

MS5A's it is!! i'll put up pics of the entire install when i get them.

thanks again :-)

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3055
You wont be disappointed! Sounds like you are going to have a nice system man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us