Ok stupid question

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 575
so to all the other FI owners out there do they all start so stiff that they barely move or make a sound out of the box? like i haft to give the poor thing CPR to make it move at all.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22921
Stiff maybe. Dead no. It will loosen a bit over time but it shouldn't act lame out of the box. How long have you run it?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 576
~20 min on 2 diff amps and blown 2 sets of fuses. and it didn't get any louder then my cell on vibrate but it does make the wires connecting the voice coils "dance".

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11136
If you're blowing fuses you've got other problem, it's not the sub.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 577
no i know y i am blowing fuses, its cuz i am trying the tune by ear route cuz my amp in the car was set with a dmm for 2 ohm's, but beacouse it was making so little sound i decided to cut the gain up a little, the fuses are my fault but i doubt the sub barley making any noise is. tried it on 2 diff amps.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 237
maybe becuase its at a .5 ohm load? isn't that what you said it was wired at? Wire it in series even if your dmm said it was still at .5
that sucks your having trouble

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 578
i think my dmm is F'ed. it is wired for 2 ohm's right now not .5. i am not a total noob, all tho the guys on the FI form seem to think i am.

hears the link http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/impedance-fail-t41319.html&gopid=669500 #entry669500

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
ya man i figured you did that, just don't know what could be the problem. And i can't see any posts on that forum since im not registered

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 579
NDMstang65, on 14 June 2010 - 07:03 PM, said:
You're probably running on a stock electrical system too...

Those coils are wound on a machine that has a very specific length of wire that is calculated to be exactly .75 ohms. You are not going to have one coil .5 ohms and one .75 ohms...it's impossible.

You cannot put that kind of power in a stock car with a stock electrical system and yank the gains up and expect magic to happen...

It takes power to make power.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

i know it takes power to make power, this is by far not my first system. i also under stand that the gain is not a vol knob. the subs i had in there before where 1.8 ohm's and so i thought .75 + .75 = 1.5 so not that far off. when it didn't sound louder then my phone on vibrate i turned the gain all the way down then slowly turned it up (tune by ear instead of with my dmm) thats when my fuse blew.

i am running simi stock electrical, big 3 is done, with the gain set at ~ 1450 by the dmm it ran fine for quite some time. at my max vol 45 of 62 the voltage didn't drop below 13.1V in the back, electrical up grades are on the way as i get more money. and i do keep the sub lvl at -3db at the HU. i don't have ~150 amps to feed it but i do have enof to run it at around ~100 amps.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 580
i know my electrical is weak sauce so i try and make it where the sub only see's ~1000 watts at my max vol of 45 out of 62.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8080
what sub?

if it is not moving at all, or very little...i bet you have the coils out of phase

pull the sub and use a battery (9v or even a drill battery) and pop the coils. Make sure you have them wired right. then free air it. one coil at a time.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 581
ok i will try that and its a FI Q 15 it just came in to day. i have it wired in series atm will pull it and bring it in side to my test bench.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 582
well canaan looks like you may be right one coil pulls one way the other one pushes and it plays on on one coil. now what?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8081
Well, the leads under the dust cap may be soldered incorrectly. Or the terminals are just mislabeled.

Use a battery to check polarity and label what terminal is + and what is -. Then use that as reference to wire the sub correctly. You will be up and running then.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 583
ok let me try that, i will get back to you in a sec

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 584
parallel
= ok

series
= fail

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 585
and the coils look like there wired like there suppose to be.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8082
make sure you have the series wiring done right. go by your NEW terminal designation.

If parallel is working, series should also.

What does each coil read individually?
You may have damaged a coil having it wired incorrectly to begin with.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 586
well i think the coils are ok not sure... if + termnal to + batt and - to - cone moves up same for both sides. what does this mean?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8083
it means the coils are labeled correctly.
Not messed up like I originally thought.

grab a DMM and check the resistance on each coil.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 587
yah that part of my DMM seems to not be working like its suppose to i read .7 on one and .5 on the other when i unboxed it but no matter how i wire it it reads .5 or .3

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 590
ok so i found out i am retarded, was treating the coils as if they where 2 sepret subs... seems fine now.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5629
Good to hear man

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 591
ty ty my title as the village idiot stands. thanks for all who contrubited, now any one know what i should set my saz-3000D at for 1.5 ohm's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
I bet a quarter gain is too much! haha

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 437
You get everything straighted out yet?

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2202
use your dmm to set your gains. its not fool proof, but its better than you setting it by ear.

if you cant figure out coils you probably shouldnt set your gains at all

why ruin nice equipment?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 592
yah sean p i got it happy, just trying to figger out how much power to set the saz-3000d for a 1.5 ohm load or just set it for a 2 ohm load and for get about it.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 593
well almost no one in my area has a 125 amp ANL fuse so i have no power....

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2212
youre running 4 gauge to a saz 3K?

holy sheepdick

get bigger wire now please

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 215
that amp calls for a 300amp fuse also. if im not mistaken...how long has it ben hooked up on 4 awg?

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2216
i dont know if he is running 4 guage....but typically, the fuse you use for 4 guage is 125A

always remember to fuse for the wire size.....not the amp

www.bcae1.com
scroll down to #14 on the site

give the whole site a read when you have a chance

its a great site

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 439
If he is running 4gauge,wouldnt that be ok since hes running the amp at 2ohms? Idk,im just asking cause i may need to change my wire then.lol

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 594
that amp lives in 2 ohm land ever senths i got it, i all ways fuse for my wire not my system, no fires for me. was runing a 125 amp fuse with it senths xmass just fine, voltage drop in back under load only drops down to ~12.9-13.1 and only on a 50Hz tone, on music i have never seen it drop below 13.4. ect ect. however i am getting a 50' spool of shok 1/0 for my bday next month and i plain on running one run for pos and neg. but this amp will probly never see 1 ohm even when all electrical has been up graded.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11144
Even at 2 ohm 4 awg is NOT enough for that amp... even if it doesn't blow the fuse right away, you are losing efficiency from that wire

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 598
i know thats why i am getting 1/0 in July, as i am a brokeass i haft to work with what i got. i wasn't urning it at full tilt before i had it at -3db or so and set the amp at 90% and don't go past 75% on the HU, ect i only needed to get around 800 watts to my previous subs. all things in due time.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22933
When needed I can give you a steal on some good 1/0ga CCA Shok wire.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 599
we talking 50' spools? i also will need new fuse holders and good ring terminals, might be for getting something not sure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us