Need custom box in alaska

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1206
I live near Fairbanks, AK now and wanting a solid custom box without paying out the azz for it...its gonna be pretty big as I'm taking the backseat out of my truck to make room for the system

but any thoughts about where/how to get a box for a decent price up here?

and i cant build it myself

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 844
Oregon isn't too far from there, considering. Not sure how postal/shipping rates go though shipping across Canada. You could ask Bassman3 (Dustin), maybe he could quote you. He's the enclosure builder here.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2441
i could build u one... shipping might be kinda high. i live in area code 65705. so from my place to urs try to figure that. what kind of subs do u have? how many cuft is this thing going to be?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5625
Hmm. That's going to be tough. Looks like if the box was approx. 50lbs, and shipped from where I am (Oregon) to you, the cheapest would be is $160 for shipping unfortunately. And I most likely live closest to you than anyone else...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8076
If the local shops can't design a good enclosure, and sadly alot of shops can't....I would recommend getting a box designed and have a local shop build it. If local shops will not build the design you give them, try a local cabinetry shop.

A sub box should be a walk in the park for a cabinetry shop to build.

But remember, design is EVERYTHING!!!
If you are looking to build a pretty loud system, don't settle for a generic box.

Gold Member

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1207
ya shipping is my main concern for price because shipping anything up here from the lower 48 is ridiculous so i dont even want to think about with something this size...im thinking its gonna be somewhere around 12 cu.ft....im planning on goin with 3 low power 15's in a basic ported box and try to get my loudness from displacement more so then power right now...will be an SQL system tho..

and I only briefly talked with the 2 shops that are in fairbanks about a box and they do build custom boxes but no one around here knows much about car audio so im falling short on references/previous work done on anything but normal small systems...

Canaan, I really like the idea of a cabinetry shop building me one i will definitely look into what is available around here but the town is pretty small and basic as far as stores/shops go

I was hoping someone on the forum lives in Alaska but i guess no such luck...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5626
You might want to check on another larger forum such as CA.com... I have seen some people from Alaska on there... Do you not have ANY kinds of tools to make an enclosure yourself? circular saw? jig? or know anyone? is there a home depot or some other place that cut's wood around there?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3142
maybe have pre-cut pieces sent? not sure if that would be cheaper..?

Gold Member

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1208
ya theres a home depot but no i dont have any tools what so ever as far as woodworking goes as i have never needed them for anything...im sure i know a couple of people that have the tools but i just want the box to be solid and well constructed for functionality as well as looks since its going to be obviously noticeable in my truck and be there for awhile...i would much rather pay a little more and have it done by someone who knows what they are doing

but ill post this up on CA.com and see if i can figure anything else out

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 235
have u tried to make any designs yourself? I can and im sure many others as well can help you perfect the box, if you have any friends that have tools it wouldn't be too hard to make.. definitely be an all day project though and 12 cu ft, will probably be like 2 full sheets and maybe like another quarter to finish.. assuming you don't mess up lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 5628
^^ Very true, if you know someone who has a drill and a couple clamps (thats all you need) you can easily make the enclosure yourself. It's going to at least take a couple days if your wanting to make it looks perfect.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22918
Pay a little for the design and maybe the precut specs from someone online and get some help locally. In your remote location you're not likely going to find a decent competitive price on just about anything. Sucks but location location location is your problem. If you live in Nebraska don't take up deep sea fishing.

Gold Member

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1209
ha ya ill talk to a couple guys in my shop and see if they would be down to help...I mean I guess it wouldnt be too bad if i had the designs and someone thats handy with that kind of thing

but ya i hate living up here when it comes to getting stuff I want...it was way easier back in texas

well i appreciate the help guys ill come back when I figure out what I'm gonna do and see about a design

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2200
maybe check out some places in anchorage to have someone build...just an option. i know it is a bigger city

i went to talkeetna alaska last summer for my cousins wedding. it was an absolute blast. but going there - i know what you mean by small town and being limited

Gold Member

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1210
ya ive thought about checking around anchorage but its a solid 7 hour drive from me so thats kinda throwing me off...maybe ill just get all my equipment first and save the box for when i find a good solution along the way
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us