Quick subwoofer brand question

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 24
So, my friend is looking at upgrading from his Sony Xplods. Hes not completely about sound quality but he still wants a good sounding SPL sub. We want to hear some input about Fi's SSD and IB3 lines of subwoofers, Are these quality woofers? What upgrades are worth the price on the SSD line and what exactly do they do?

We were also looking at Digital Designs 1500 series. How would you compare this woofer to the Fi subs.

Hes looking at getting a single 10" or 12" and the amp hasnt been selected yet so the wattage really isnt a factor yet, as long as RMS is under 1000 because amps get to expensive after that. He mainly listens to Rap/R&B, but also listen to some alternative rock.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13770
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154c0df6d94b5a9/s hopdata/0070_Tech/0070_Speakers/0040_Tech.SSD/product_overview.shopscript

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yea, we actually found that page later last night but it was to late to edit the post. Sorry about that.

Does anyone have experience with Fi SSD or DD 1500 series? Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 303
my bro has ib3 12's in ported boxes made for assassins(which means its in a little smaller box than neccassary) and they were definately worth the price. Never had a mechanical issue with em yet and God knows how many times he just straight clips his amp and puts distorted waves to them and they just take it like a champ.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11104
Umm, the IB3 is infinite baffle... they're not supposed to be put in boxes...

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 304
what are u talking about.... of course there supposed to be put in boxes

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 305
what else would u put em in???

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 420
I run a single dd1515 an it gets damm loud an sounds pretty ok too. Im only putting around 700wrms to it though. If you plan on running 1000wrms, then you might want to step up to a dd 2500 or 3500.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 420
the boss- are you retarted? Fi says "The IB3 series is designed for use in infinite baffle applications. This comes in handy for home theater or SQ autosound applications where you have a very large "rear" chamber (normally 10 times the speakers VAS) and do not want to have a separate enclosure for the speaker. You are limited mechanically in IB applications and we rate the speakers at a linear limit at 20Hz. This is a vastly different rating than the normal RMS rating as it reflects the lack of enclosure behind the speaker and this becomes the limiting factor.
IB setups have some of the most effortless and natural sounding bass reproduction. But they have the drawback of not being coupled to an enclosure and having the boost from that. You are relying solely on the speakers linearity, free-air specs, and displacement. In IB applications, there is no replaement for displacement and we recommend fitting the largest driver size you can for the system."

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 309
so are u saying that they can just sit right on the explorer in the back just chilling, without any enclosure? is that what infinite baffle means? Also has it damaged it at all being in an eclosure?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 310
and no im not retarted... i dont think its retarted at all to put a sub in an enclosure seing that every other fi sub wants one and it looks just like a normal woofer to me... so how is that retarted bud

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11106
No, if you use an IB sub and don't know what infinite baffle is.... then you are indeed retarded....

But if you want to know:
An infinite baffle install is when you have your listening area and another chamber, with a sold divide between them. The sub is mounted in the divide so that the rear sound wave is contained in the rear chamber and separated from the listening area. If you just sit the sub somewhere and play it of course it's not going to work, the sound waves cancel each other.
This is not done in cars very often because it's a difficult type of install to do. There are some ways tho, such as mounting the speaker in the rear deck and making the trunk completely sealed off. Or building a wall in a van and putting the speakers in it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I do like that everyones learning in this thread , but does anyone have any more input on the DD's or the Fi SSD?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 822
If you want a nice sounding SPL woofer, go with DD, they're awesome. If you want a more all around woofer, go with the Fi SSD.

Bronze Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 95
I am not sure about the DD, but i have a SSD with all the options, and i love it, its not quite enough spl for me, but it does get pretty loud, everyone i have showed it to is pretty impressed. If you are leaning more toward the SQ, then ide get a copper coil rather than upgrading to the flat wind

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 204
right now im using a single DD9515G in a 4.5 cuft box tuned to 40hz and it gets extremely loud in my jeep cherokee sport.

it's a d1 coil config, so i can only run it at 2ohms right now. it's getting about 1500wrms and im already very impressed with this sub.

upgrading my alt soon, then we'll really see what it has to offer.

first DD sub for me, and already i think DD=win...

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11113
For the OP.
DD and Fi both make great subs, and those are both good all around subs. The only advantage I see is that the Fi can use a bit smaller box.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 315
ROFL im prolly not the only one who has put ib3's in boxes.. in fact i am willing to bet a lot of money on it. It looks the same as my old ssd just a smaller magnet. I guess now ill just tell my bro he should sell them? although i must say .. they do sound pretty good in these boxes can get pretty loud off A MILLI AMILLI... lol. So basically there is no way to use them for car audio applications then?

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 185
yes they can be used in cars, just most people don't do that type of install..
u know Fi clearly states on their website thats what those subs are used for..
i got a good laugh out of all this tho at least

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 320
dude the sh it punds pretty good man! lol... f it well just keep em in the boxes... u know what they say.... IF SOMETHINGS WORKING DONT FIX WHAT AINT BROKEN!!!(at least i think thats how the saying is?)

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 553
the IB3's are more like if you put it in your rear deck or make a mini wall in between the fold down seats and the trunk. IIRC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us