CVX or L7???

Username: Fatboi88

Harvey, IL United States

Post Number: 2
Just a quick question hopefully I'll get some good feedback.. I really wanna get two L7's but they are expensive as hell... I was on the Kicker website looking at some comments and this guy said CVX are just as good and cheaper..is that true will 2 CVX hit as hard as the 2 L7s?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 720
Why Kicker? What are your goals out of a system? For an affordable sub that will perform, Fi would be a good choice. Even Audioque.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 400
I would recommend maybe picking a different sub also. Tho if you are stuck on kicker,i would get the cvx's over the L7s.

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 158
lol at people being so obsessed with kicker

Harvey, IL United States

Post Number: 3
not obsessed just want the best.....i'm go wit the L7s thanx for the non helping comments lol

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14115
these guys are trying to help you there are better speakers than the l7

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 148
you wanna know whats funny, one day me and a friend compared systems, i had my eclipse amp for the dls's and an infinity 600 watt rms amp with a 12'' alpine type r in a custom ported box, and he had a boss 4 channel amp for his speakers.. the amp was absolutely huge and had a 3600 watt boss amp for the subs.. that amp was really tiny lol and he had 2 15" kicker l7s in a custom kicker box that had kicker all engraved in it and everything.
well we first listened to his car, which was a jeep the box took up the entire trunk if you wanna call it and it sounded pretty good, i mean considering that it was a jeep so the subs were not confined to a trunk.
then we jumped in my car, i let him listen to the dls's by themselves he was amazed at them then i turned on some ludacris "everybody drunk" and i turned up the infinity with the bass knob and he was just amazed! he could not believe that 1 12 in sub was doing all that.
honestly the bass was about the same in loudness, mostly because his 4 channel had to have a huge current draw leaving no room for the mono amp and second because i know what im doing haha.
but overall my car sounded much better just because the dls blended in so well with the sub
now lets compare prices, his 2 brand new kicker 15 l7s with the custom kicker box. im guessing he spent at least 600. me i bought the alpine for 50 off craigslist. spent a few bucks for a box and got the infinity amp for 60 off ebay.
i dont even know what he spent on the amps but i know it was a few hundred.
i know he felt horrible knowing his l7s which are supposed to be like the best subs ever couldnt beat just 1 12" type r.
now will this happen for you? no not if you have a strong electrical and run an actual amp that puts out power. but are the l7s worth it?
NO NO NO not at all man they sound pretty crappy too.
Now the suggested fi car audio. well a 12" bl or btl or even a Q will destroy an l7 all around, but hey us guys on this forum must just be dumb because you think the l7 is the best sub ever and we didnt agree with you and told you to stay away from it.
at least go with the round cvx man if your gonna go kicker

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13568
why are you under the impression that kicker L7s are the best?

The L7 is not the best Solobaric square sub Kicker makes. The Solo-X has that honor, and square subs have faults that make them good for SPL, but absolutely terrible for music and sound quality, as well as reliability.

Kicker solobarics are notorious for tinsel lead slap and separation, surround separation, limited excursion, cone flex due to the uneven pressure exerted on the cone surface at high excursion since they are square, and they tend to get damaged rather easily when the amplifier clips, which tends to happen a lot with people who buy solobarics since they generally tend not to know much about car audio or proper system installation.

Just some things to consider when going with those L7s.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 722
Friend, if you think L7's are the best, you are far mistaken. Either you havn't listened to many other subs or someone had fed you a bunch of bologna. If you want a sub that will just get loud and shake your car, ok, go with the L7s. If you want a sub that will actually be musical and last you a while, go a different route. Once again, what are your goals? SPL? If you want a sub that will get loud, check in Digital Designs or even a Fi BL. If pure SPL is your goal, then a Fi BTL, or even an AQ HD3.
If lows are what you are after then a Fi Q or SSA Xcon would be a good choice. Just let us know what kind of budget you have to work with.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4445
I've ran just about every kicker sub made from comps,cvr,cvx, L5, L7, and solo X, and what you are hearing about kicker is in my opinion an understatment. Kicker isn't even on the radar as far as subs are concerned.. If your mind is made up, then nothing we can say will change your mind, and that would be your loss... Just go to a decent competition and see what ther winners are running, i'de be willing to bet that 99% of the setups are kicker free... If you are really interested on getting good equipment, then just ask..

Bronze Member
Username: Ja205

Post Number: 53
f*** kicker why dont we just say that lol

Harvey, IL United States

Post Number: 6
those where all good points very helpful and enlighting..might mess wit some type rs i don't know yet and i made a budget plan really. I was just gonna buy what i needed peice by peice first i'ma get my amp..i know which amp i wanna get but just don't know what speakers yet...i might do 4 CVRS. just wanna start fresh gota 2004 Impala.. i never had music in there yet so when i do it i wanna make sure i'm slamming and can still hear the words. Otherwise i would just get 15s. but they are just for all bass..

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 478
15's does not = only bass.

people have been feeding you crap dude.

what amp do you want to use?

what size are your speaker holes?

do you have tweeters currently?

oh an area for them?

running 4 12's in a trunk is going to be a tight fit, if you plain on using a ported box you may not have enough room, and power may be a problem unless you can get a HO alt for your car but its a pretty common car so it should be easy to find a good alt for it.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11071
holy hell. you have some serious learning to do. lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13583
you shouldn't be uusing fifteens OR twelves OR tens for vocals.
subs are for just what their name implies. sub-bass frequencies.
The subs should be crossed over at 50Hz. If you want vocals, or midbass, then get a component set for your doors and amplify those, or even consider using midbass drivers to fill between the comps in front and the subs in the trunk. midbass drivers make perfect rear fill drivers. read these:

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/ampsettings.html

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/xosetting.html

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/imaging.html

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/rearfill.html

Username: Cody22109

Post Number: 2
The L7's no doubt!

The square design gives the subwoofer more airpush than a regular subwoofer.

The pound it produces will be of/close to an 18" sub if you're thinking 15's.

Let's just say if you're thinking about two 12" or 15" L7s vs. 2 12" or 15" Alpine Type-r's, youre going to blow them out of the water with SPL. On the SQ side, prolly not so much, but if youre looking to bump the hell and get more of a competition like subwoofer: L7

Gold Member

Post Number: 4450
Why would you compare L7 to Type-r's for spl. The L7's handle more power. I'de still take the type-R's for overall performance, output, and reliability... Actually I'de look elsewhere, but that is not the point.

Post Number: 3
would you really?

i just thought the type-r's are a good sub base stuff off of because of the popularity of Alpine and what they produce.

and im actually looking for subs too.

Either Kicker L7 15s
Alpine Type-R 15s
or
Soundstream R1 15s

what would you suggest? those are my only options, just seeing if you'd give me some advice.

my amp will be a soundstream PCX2000D picasso series amp

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13684
the power handling spec of a sub has nothing to do with it's output.
You need to look at sensitivity, cone area, excursion, and BL to determine that, at a minimum.

The L7 will be louder than a Type R.
The Type R will sound much, much better than any square sub.

The problems with the Solobaric line from Kicker:
tinsel lead slap
tinsel lead separation
rubber surround separation
cone flex distortion
limited excursion due to teh shape
uneven forces exerted on the cone due to it's non linear shape
more expensive (may not matter)
I see a lot of them fail because people improperly set up an amplifier to drive them, and cause clipping, which damages teh drivers very easily. They seem to be very fragile in that regard.
On the bright side, Kicker seems to be good about replacement under warranty.

If all you want is loud, there are better, louder subs out there, like the Fi BTL and DD9915.
If you want SQ, thre are better, more linear subs out there like the Fi Q and ID Max and IDQ.

If you want all the uneducated 17 year olds in highschool to ooh and ahh over your brand selection, Kicker is your go-to company.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4451
okay, i should have just said apples in oranges instead. They are two totally different subs.

Cody, what is your budget?
What equipment do you already have?
How much power do youwant to run?
Do you have a sister who is over 18? if yes, is she hot(pictures are a must)
What vehicle?
Did you vote for Obama?
What type of setup are you wanting? (SPL,SQL, SQ)?
What kind of music do you listem too mostly?

just a few questions, and you will get plenty of recommendations...along with more questions as well..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4452
ohhh and Type R's are a great budget subwoofer . Very good starter setup, that can get loud and still sound decent with the proper enclosure and very little electrical upgrades (if any) with recommended wattage. A lot of people I know became bassaholics (yes it can be addicting)after starting with type R's ...

Welcome to Ecoustics as well.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 488
high my name is deathoob and i am a bassaholic and a SQ junkie.

i started out with polk and i love them for entry lvl subs, go for the mm's or the sr line. there sq subs tho. i am still waiting on my FI Q,

Post Number: 4
alright here we go:

Budget: around 700-800 dollars maybe a tiny bit more i could spend on subs + amp. im getting a free box from my local audio store cuz of a trade in with a subwoofer im doing.

-I already have the wires hooked up and everything from previous alpine type-r 12's and a soundstream 1000w.

- anywhere from 1000w-2000w truthfully, but im pretty sure id need to get a new battery.

- haha i do, but shes like 30 and morbidly obese.

- 1998 GMC Jimmy

- Actually yeah

- SPL mostly

-Mostly Rap, sometimes hardcore. But to sum it up: rap. 90%

Post Number: 5
and thankyou i need lots of help with this, ive been so damn frustrated and stressed with what to get!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13688
two Fi BL subs, dual 1 ohm coil models (final load on mono amp = 1 ohm) and a Sundown SAE-1200D v2 or Audioque AQ1200D

ask for a slot vented box, tuned to 28-32Hz.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16326
lets show them where they can go take a look & then come back to ask

google the following :

re audio

dd audio

fi car audio

sundown audio

ascendant audio

sound solutions audio - where u visit their SSA store & look at their SSA , incriminator , sundown , sound splinter , they have some really nice subs & amps combos at a discounted price ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us