1/0 gauge ring terminal will not fit on my positive battery terminal screw I need help

Gold Member
Username: Cplaya280

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1053
I have a 2000 chrysler concorde and i ordered some 1/0 gauge ring terminals and i went to hook the ring terminal to my wire and that fit fine but the positive battery terminal screw is to big for me to fit my ring terminal on. Is there any suggestions what i can do like is there a way to make the ring terminal a little wider so it fits on the positive battery terminal screw or is there something i can buy to make it fit thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 389
i had the same problem. i just ran a drill bit thru it to make the hole just a little bigger to fit the positive terminal screw in. works just fine

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1054
what would i drill it into tho like a piece of wood or the ground or what? I think i tried to drill and make the hole bigger once before and put the terminal on a piece of wood so i had something to drill into and the drill bit ended up gettin stuck in the piece of wood. And also the other problem i had when i tried this was that the ring terminal ended up getting jammed onto the drill bit and i couldn't get the terminal off then so i had to end breaking a drill bit to get it off :/ How did you exactly do it . Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1541
I usually drill them out also. Or you can order bigger rings.

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1055
where can i order bigger rings most the rings look teh same size at least the ones i ordered off of the Knuconeptz website. I tried looking for some other sides that had the holes bigger so they could fit easier onto my battery screw but haven't had any luck so far

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13630
you can usually replace the battery posts on most batteries, and get larger terminal connectors and ring terminals or compression terminals for 1/0AWG wire from companies like Streetwires or Tsunami etc.. to remedy this issue.

It'll look like this when it's done properly:

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13631
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/420/1941/38548470014_large.jpg

larger version of that image

Gold Member

Post Number: 1543
I would hold the ring terminal with a pair of pliers and drill right through just make sure you have some wood of some sort behind the ring so you don't ruin the bit or possible something else from drilling into it.

Also ebay sells them with 3/8 size holes which is a little bigger then the 5/16 that knu sells. Other then ebay you could check partsexpress.com or i would just google it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1544
I agree with glass on that one though. Nice terminals really spruce up your engine bay. Many people will be impressed if its done well.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2242
Drill them out, start the hole with the drill on reverse, and hold it with pliers to keep it from spinning.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 732
I had the same issues on my battery side posts and especially on the chassis bolt. I just drilled them out and then used my knife, twisting back and forth, to do some finishing adjustments. Took all of a few minutes.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11074
I always drill them out with a 3/8" bit. Its a pain in the azz, get a good grip on it with a vise grip cause the drill will catch and rip the thing right out of your hand otherwise.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13636
or instead of drilling out the ring, you can just use wire dikes and snip the end of the ring, so it's split, then spread it a bit to fit the bolt.

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1056
Thanks everybody helped a lot and worked great i did the drill out method

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 162
next time try the compression fittings from jeggs, they look great and the holes are 3/8's and 1/2". they have them for 1 and 2 awg wire.

just a thought, i still haven't tried them myself, but will next time i need them.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11077
I use 2 awg terminals from the autoparts store (biggest they sell). They are $1.25 each and you can stuff 0 awg into them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us