Looking for a Daily 150db

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1471
Ok guys i have been lurking around these forums for a while, and now that i have saved a good amount of money I think im ready to build a loud @ss system. This will all be going into a 1999 Acura integra two door hatch. I would like to be around the 150 db area if possible. My budget for sub or subs and and amp will be 1300.

Now i think i want to go with either Fi, Sundown, or DD for the speakers and i was thinking maybe sundown for my amp needs. I would have no problem in fact i would rather buy used since it will be cheaper.

I know my electrical will need to be upgraded. I am working on getting and HO alt locally along with a couple batteries.

Now with that budget a suppose i can stretch a little more if necessary. My main problem that i would like some help on is what subs and what amp to choose. I would also like some box suggestions. This is going to be my daily driver and i want it to sound very good but at the same time, i want it to get loud as hell. I have alot of fatmat soundproofing to work with also. I'm going to try and get very creative. The back seats will be coming out. I know many will not agree with this but i also need room to fit 4 12inch pro speakers and 4-8 horns. I'm sure many of you can vision my goal.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 671
I think you can reach your 150 dB on your budget. I'd say invest into Digital Designs since you're looking for loud. They make a quality SPL woofer. The largest factor, next to your amp, is going to be your enclosure. You're going to need to be supplying a large amount of power to the sub, so upgrading the electrical in the car will definitely be a must. Sundown is a great choice in amps so that's a solid choice there. Sound deadening the car is going to help a lot in achieving your goal as well.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7671
two 15s in a smaller box on some strapped 3ks will do 150 daily ..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1474
What subs and what amps. Do you think that's within my budget? The back seats will be out so there will be a good amount of room.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7672
i know of a setup now running two crossfire 15s on strapped saz3ks.. 153.3 db on 30sec tl outlaw style

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16254
im thinking u wud probably get the most value for that budget with audioque

1 3500D : $750

not sure if 15s will fit in there properly but maybe some 2 12s HDC3 : $320x2 = 640

http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=72

or if u can squeeze a single 18" in there then either a loaded Fi BTL & that aq3500d

why 4 12s for mids - imho thats too much , 2 10s in the highest model of either rcf , beyma , faital pro , or eminence etc & [2] 2" wide throat drivers will be more than enough for that set

these pro audio speakers will as loud as hell on the outside of ur ride (hope u dont have noise pollution noise laws in ur town) but it will fack up ur ears if u even think of playing it loud while ur sitting in ur car ...

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7673
you can fit two 15s

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4434
With the hatchback, you could probably get away with a single 15 in the right box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1475
I was thinking about a single 18 i would even be open to two 10's or two 12's, hell even two 15's but i dont know if i have enough room. Although i know i probably cant make as good of a box as some of you on here i take a lot of pride in my own work and consider it a learning experience at the same time.

Going on what Rovin said. i had 2 12" eminence and 2 horns last year and im looking to outdo myself this year. Although most of you think they sound terrible i disagree. I run all my pro audio off old ppi art series amps and i will tell you when its all crossed over and equalized properly its just so powerful and sounds great.

back to the subs though how are sundown nightshades i have an opportunity to grab two of them for around 700 bucks, i dont know if thats a good deal though. I think there 12's or 15's.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 678
If you're taking out the back seat, you could probably find a way of fitting an enclosure for 2 15's back there. 2 15s though will probably run you more than one good 18 though, so it may be a matter of how much you're looking to spend. One 18 would do the job itself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1476
Well i looked into audioque, and honestly i dont like the looks of them to much. Unless anyone else objects or has any other opinions i think im going to go with Fi.

So Now the question is should i go with two 12's, two 15's or one 18?

Username: Mlstrass

Illinois

Post Number: 7
what about the "looks" of AQ don't you like? They're very similar to DD subs which are proven in the lanes.

AQ is proven on the streets. We have several 150+ daily drivers using AQ amps/subs on my team.

2 15" alum coil HDC's and 2 3500's with the proper electrical and you'll be in the 50's and able to play it loud for long periods of time.

I wouldn't do a single sub as motor strength is your friend when building a demo vehicle.

Throw in your PA stuff and you'll have a loud daily driver......similar to mine.

Illinois

Post Number: 8
Looking at your budget again a single 3500 at .5ohm daily should get you very close to your goal. Will depend more on the enclosure and how your vehicle is for getting loud

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16255
which model eminence u had last yr ? - the kappas are pretty loud & they have a nice midbass response in a ported enclosure

if ur taking out the back seat & ppl already said 2 15s will fit then thats what i wud go for since for loudness & long periods of playing id rec 2 subs over 1

imo it seems that sundown makes better products that AQ but of course it costs more

SSA store has some nice deals on sundown ...

Illinois

Post Number: 9
what are you basing this opinion on when comparing SD and AQ?

I own amps from both companies and have built enclosures for both also.

My experience has been that AQ beats SD when it comes to price/performance ratio, tis why I buy AQ new and only buy SD used...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16258
well u got me there & i have no problem admitting it , havent used either of those 3500D (have been around the sundown 1500D & seen them in action in my bud's ride) but im just giving my opinion which of course he does not have to take

usually the sundowns amps & subs are underrated & do alot more than advertised , not saying the SD is better by a mile but thats my choice if were me ...

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7675
whats max measurements.. i still think you can do two 15s in a hatch area..

heres the setup local.. two saz3ks and does 153.3 30sec average.. he beats on this daily.. burps a 156.x

Upload

Illinois

Post Number: 10
I ran 4 1500D's in the last set up and now have 8 AQ3500's. Still run a 1500D in the wife's car.

I've built a few enclosures for SD subs and a ton for AQ subs. All have performed very well.

Just depends upon if you want to pay more for SD as I consider them equal in performance...

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 11
Impressive numbers on the hatch set up.

Just don't think 2 amps are in his budget, but that's what I'd recommend also.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16259
no problem man

hey do u have any build logs o vids of those aq3500s or subs - id love to see it ..

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 12
Don't have a build log. Trying to add a vid from a show 3-4 weeks ago

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_i96oY1wU

Gold Member

Post Number: 1477
Last year i had two eminence delta's, this year im going for 4 delta pro's. I considered the kappa's but they take a lot more power to get going and they don't hit the higher notes as well.

Well i have done a little more research on AQ and it does seem like something that im interested in. I'm guessing the aluminum ones were what was recommended. Now i know there was a good amount of contriversy between the sundown and the AQ. However there wasn't much said about the AQ and the fi btl.

So for the small difference in price do you guys think the btl is an all around better sub. I mean i do like the fact that they sell rebuild kits.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1478
I think im leaning towards AQ for my amplifier needs however im gonna look around the forums for some good deals on used stuff.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16260
check out the caco forums - lots of great info on AQ & other brands there but u have to register to get full access ...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13445
why do you need 150dB in a daily driver? That just seems really excessive. I can hit that number or close to it, but hardly do if ever. That's just way too loud to be in the car when it's that loud.

I would suggest, if you insist on needing a system that loud, that you go with the largest sub(s) you can, the most power you can afford, with the electrical system to back that up, and use a large volume slot-ported enclosure for the subs. You'll also need a good class AB amp to drive your front stage (and rears if you use them) to keep up with that kind of output. In my case, I've used no less than 300 watts per channel to the fronts when I've had systems hitting over 140dB as daily drivers. I'm just telling you this as a reference for what you'll need.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1479
Well in all honestly im throwing the whole front stage out of the window. I have 4 pro audio 12's going in for my mids and most likely 8 horns. Those will be powered by 2 ppi art 600 and 2 ppi art 300.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 13968
this will get you started for your highs

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/630107.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1480
I'm sure that's an amazing amp but i have stood behind my ppi art amps since the day i heard my first one.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13969
oh I didnt realize you already had those amps

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13449
the PPI amps will do fine with external crossovers. I' still jut wondering why you need 150+dB in a daily driven non-competition car.

You can't really sit in a car at 150dB for any length of time. Especially not if you value your own hearing in any way at all.
Hell, I don't even sit in cars at 140dB, and that's like a difference of ten times the power or more to attain that extra +10dB over 140. It just seems very excessive for what you should really need, unless it's just a male phallus competition of "mine is bigger than yours" to impress others. You'd never need that sort of power or volume for your own personal use.

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/power2vol.html

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 14
I doubt he plans on playing it that loud all the time. If he gets it loud enough he'll realize that you don't play it full tilt all day long.

I do mid 50's on music in my daily set up, but don't play it anywhere near that loud unless at a comp or show doing demo's.

Normally I listen to talk radio. I liked the challenge of seeing how loud I could get the car, yet still sound good on music and I'm happy with how it turned out.

PG200.4 is a solid amp, use one to power my Selenium 8's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1481
^^^^^^^^ I will hardly ever play at full tilt. In a way is kinda is a competition because there's a few others locally that are going balls to the wall. I would also like to leave the playing fields open in case there was ever a comp locally.

I completely understand what you mean glass when you say its unnecessary.

I have a old ppi FRX-456 that i will use if it gets to choppy but im gonna try using my head unit first (eclipse cd7000). Since im only using 2 different kinds of speakers.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 15
A LOT of things that us guys do/build are unnecessary, but some enjoy the challenge.

Build it and have fun with it. Used AQ3500's go for around $450, so that might help you get there and stay within your budget...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1482
Well for now im thinking two hdc3's with one aq3500. Then depending on how it goes i may add another. I dont seem to be having any luck with the used stuff though.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 16
copper coil HDC's off a single 3500 should do very well and depending upon your vehicle should get close to a 150.

If you plan to run 2 3500's then get alum coil subs...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1483
Now from what i understand the copper coils are assembled in china and the aluminum ones are assembled here in the USA?

If that's the case then i will be getting the aluminum coils. Regardless though i like to leave room for improvement so i will probably go aluminum anyway.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 17
you base copper or alum on the power you plan to run. Coppers are more efficient and up to around 2kw of power will get louder then the alum coils.

Nothing wrong with the chinese coppers as I've installed a ton of them.

You can recone the coppers to alum down the line when you add a 2nd amp. Cost is around $250 for 2 recones and CA glue kit from AQ. Takes a few hours to do 2 subs with a few basic tools...

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13454
aluminum will slough heat more quickly, but copper is the superior conductor.

my single 18 reaches high into the 140s at least, but it's fun to have a system that loud when kids want to see it, and all the see are the pods in the kick spaces, and the head unit. everything else is concealed. The sub is in the floor of the trunk, and the amps and battery are tucked into the sail panels behind my tire wells (it's nice having a trunk I can hide a spare car in.)
I mean, when you see a 20 cubic foot box stuffed into the back of some guy's Expedition, it's pretty obvious he's going to be loud. lol

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 18
have you metered this set up on the TL to verify upper 140's?

I think it's more fun to have a wall

Gold Member

Post Number: 1484
Do you guys think i should jump on this or stick with the AQ 3500?

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/475282-~~~-sale-sundown-3500 d-mint-condition-only-installed-8-days-~~~.html

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13458
I haven't had a chance to meter it yet, but I've installed enough systems that hit that high and higher to ballpark it, with the knowledge of the vehicle and gear, and knowing what others with similar power and the same sub are hitting, too.
I have the Fi Q18 in a fastback car that's sound treated, with over 1200 watts RMS to the sub. People with 1Kw on an Fi Q18 in SUVs are hitting 147dB, so I'm at least to that point myself. I have less air space in my cabin, and my vehicle acts like a giant horn due to it's shape. It's not a difficult estimation. I just didn't have a TL mic within 200 miles of me when I was in Michigan. I think I can find one easily down South here.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 19
SD3500 is a very solid amp, what's the price on it???

Make sure you get refs, etc... lot of scammers on CA.com

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 20
hatchback is feasible, I "assumed" a trunk car which isn't so easy to get loud.

Really depends upon where your car peaks at as a Q off 1200 isn't an SPL set up, but mid 40's are possible.

How do you like the sub as I run a 15" Q in the wife's car and find it to be a bit bottom heavy at times. HU doesn't have much for EQ to tame it down

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13461
My car is set strictly for SQ actually. I'm not an SPL guy. I'm getting older and I'm much happier with a clean, detailed system. I'm running 8" midbass drivers, so the 18" rolls up to those just fine. I'm also running digital time alignment and EQing on 31 band 1/3 octaves, so I can smooth everything out that way.

Pioneer stage-4 DEX-P99RS head
Orion 2250SX @ 4 ohm stereo for fronts
DynAudio System 360 3-way front stage in fiberglassed kick panels
Orion 2250SX bridged @ 4 ohms for sub
Fi Q18 sealed

http://www.glasswolf.net/cars/charger/index.html

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

that's the car.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1486
He wants 700 plus shipping.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1487
^^^ very nice.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 21
personally I'd get the AQ for $749 shipped with a warranty and not having to worry about getting scammed.

AQ does 4300watts at 14v, so plenty of power...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16264
^agreed - pay 49 bucks more & get a bnib amp with warranty ....

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 22
Car looks good and nice equipment. Never got a chance to hear Dyns.

I run an active front stage in my set up that sounds very nice, but is far from an all out SQ set up. Of course I have a LOUD rear stage for demo's and a wall with 4 15's, but I can actually tame them down very nicely to blend with the fronts.

And I'm now betting on low 40's at best since the Q is sealed But I'm sure it's more then enough to give you some thump when you're in the mood...

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 379
Wat about the cresendo audio 3k for 550 brand new with 2 year warranty

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 23
Some of the WI guys I compete with run the Crescendo amps and they seem to do fine...

Zack w you come out to any shows? Have one on May 30th in Waukegan at Sundance Saloon, car show and sound comp...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1488
The only turn down with the cresendo amp for me is the god awful color. Not only that but when the sundown 3500, the aq 3500 and the cresendo are all compared it seems like the sundown is a little more beefy then the AQ and the cresendo is in last place. However it is priced to sell.

Well as of now i think im going to get one AQ 3500 and two HDC3's. I was gonna get the aluminum but if you guys think the copper will hold up just fine i guess i will get them. I'm sure i will want more down the line and upgrade to a sec aq 3500. So if anyone could chime in to solidify my decision it would be great unless anyone else has any suggestions to change my mind.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1063
just remember when you go to add a second amp that you will also have the cost to recone the HDC3's

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13465
if you counter offer on the used amp, offer him half the retail value. that's what you're giving up for a used amp without a warranty, and you can tell him as much if he laughs at the offer.

Sealed is very good, but if you're really after SQ and you have a trunk and aren't worried about SPL scores (since you lose a bit of gain compared to sealed) go Aperiodic enclosure.

I ran two RE XXX (first gen XBL^2 motor) 12" subs in AP in that car before the single 18" and it was fantastic.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1489
I'm sure he will laugh at me but i will give it a try countering his price.

So what do you guys think aluminum or copper im still undecided.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 380
have to agree the cresendo is a pretty unattractive color. just threw it out there cuz of the price to performance ratio

i actually have never been to a show but i definately want to. depending on how long of a drive it is and if i got the day off may have to hit it up. see if some buddies around here would wanna go with or something.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1064
im pretty sure the crescendo is on par with the saz-3000d. from what i can find, it is the same zenon board as the sundown and the atomic 3000d. i would love to give on a try.

here is a pic of the crescendo
http://www.crescendoaudio.com/images/D/3kwp.jpg

and the sundown and atomic here
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/amplifiers/298891-atomic-3000-1-vs-sundown-saz3000 d-8.html

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13473
The copper coil is a heavier coil and adds mass to the moving assembly. In comparison to the aluminum coil, and has the smoothest transitions musically speaking. It is less likely to peak, and is a better overall coil for more Sound Quality based daily drivers. 

Gold Member

Post Number: 1491
Wow once again when i think i have my mind made up i cant decide. I will look around a bit tomorrow and maybe i will grad one of these ugly guys and see what it can do,

I wonder if there gonna be changing the color soon.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 384
just another suggestion, not saying there better or theyll be louder just a suggestion. check out incriminator audio death rows or fi bl's, relatively close to the price of the hdc3. they all kinda have a plain look to them. but hey no one said loud has to pretty.

and @ glasswolf, so the copper coil is better sound quality wise? just a little thrown off by how you worded it thats all

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 2033
with 1300 your best off sticking with stock electrical. that means 1500 watts is going to be the limit.

but since you have room your in luck, you dont need power to get loud.

just get 2 of the largest subs you can fit rated for around 500 rms, build a really good box, get an saz1500 or similar, do the big 3, get a nice drycell and you should be knockin on the door of 150.

i wouldnt normally recommend this but you will need serious electrical upgrades to run 3k+ and you just dont have the money. kinda likewhat glass said in a another thread. its like buying a big house thennotbeing ableto furnish it. you dont wanna spend $600+ on electrical and only have $700 for subs and amps.

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13477
more like buying a house and not turning on the power because you can't pay the electric company bill. haha

Yes the copper coil will yield a better SQ sub.

If you think coil material is confusing, wait till you get into motor structure topography for speakers. Overhung, Underhung, split-gap, etc.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 2035
disregard my previous post. i thought 1300 was for the entire substage and electrical. reading>me.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13975
I will warn you of one thing with 150 db daily systems things can get broken like roof mounts

Gold Member

Post Number: 1492
All warning taken into consideration but its still not changing my mind. I think my final decision is one Cresendo 3000 and two HDC3 15's with copper coils.

As for my electrical Im going to talk to a guy locally and see what the best he can make for me will be. If he falls through i will be going to iraggi or possibly mechman(excuse me if i spelled wrong been a while since i researched them). As for batteries i plan to run two odyssey PC1750 in the back and then one smaller odyssey up front.(unless anyone objects)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16269
mlstrass

is this u ?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iw8NbEdIks&feature=related

Gold Member

Post Number: 1066
im hoping to hear a review on that amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 1503
well with my 30 inch width and a 15in depth(i thought i had 16 but 15 is almost pushing it due to the rear wiper). I think im either going to have to go to two 12's or one 18.

back to a decision again when i finely had my mind made up.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13976
spl wise for us typically the second woofer only yeilds less than 2 db with twice the power and twice the cone area...dont get me wrong we did get the full six db in a hatchback scirocco but its rare...to me the single 18 would be best but 3 k will be the limit for an audioque hdc anything more than that is very small gains....we know this from personal experience and others we talked to with the subs who compete in spl comps

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13977
I forgot your going for 150 daily your going to need two hdc 12's

ps that scirroco did 149. something (termlab reading) with 3800 watts rms in a spl box well under the cars peak note with no testing using two hdc alum coils 12's

Gold Member

Post Number: 1504
Well if i was to do 1 18 i could go for a btl. Do you think the two audioque's would still be a better option?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13978
Looking at the motor strength of a dual 1 ohm btl 18 I think youd be better with the audioques If it was a dual 2 ohm id say do the btl it has a 27 bl which is very good

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 24
Crescendo amp looks better in person as I've seen several of them.

2 12's won't make a 150 daily driver, assuming you mean 150's on music, not just a burp box.

With the HDC's the alum coils sound better then copper in my install and listening preferences.

Rovin....can't see the vid as youtube is blocked at work. If it's a black altima with fur then that would be me LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1076
yeah thats the one

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 25
what vid is it? demo or metering on the TL?

Bronze Member
Username: Gutteer

Post Number: 92
Rovin that is mlstrass in the video
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us