Which sub and why??

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 812
Would it be better to get a decent 15"-18" sub vented box, or 2 12" vented box, and is there a sub or subs, that split the difference between spl and sql? Is there a best of both worlds? Please names some brands and size to get, kind of at a loss here. Thanks for any input.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 682
An 18" would give you more SPL than 2 12s, if comparing the same woofers. If you have the room, go with a single 18. For a good all around sub that will hold a good amount of power and is reasonably priced, check out a Fi SSD. If its between a single 15 or 2 12s, go 2 12s.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 813
Who makes them, sorry to sound dumb here, but I am new to this type of sub and really could use the help. Thanks for the reply!!!

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1502
www.ficaraudio.com
www.ddaudio.com
www.audioque.com
www.sundownaudio.com

Those are a few i was just looking into.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 814
Thanks Joseph for the sites, I checked out that FI ssd That is a good price, but I see the rms is rated at 800, is that really going to do a better job then 2 12" RE SEX12D4's? Just curious. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1068
those fi's are conservatively rated and there are options you can add that would increase the power handling
the newer models of re subwoofers are not that good from what i hear and the x series of subs are the new models. i would stay away from them if i could. i would go with the 18 Fi SSD with the flatwind and the BP options if you can fit/afford and power it over those re's any day.
with those options you could throw 1200-1300 wrms at it with no problems really.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 815
Ok, thanks everyone for all the help, much appreciated!!!

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 124
not sure why everyone thinks the new re sub line sucks but i will be the first to talk from experience that they do not suck at all. You should be able to offer 140 for each 12 and get it off ebay, not sure of the seller though. Definitely worth the money for a wonderful RE sub

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1073
not saying you are wrong but hearing from multiple people with experience that they are not the same as when scott was designing and that the build quality is now sub par.
imho i would stay clear of them.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 125
i can understand how everyone might think that, but honestly from years of experience with many other subs i must say the new RE line is still amazing. The new se model is basically like a jl sub but more power handling, and they can be had for a very reasonable price. The new sx line is unbelievable, the xmax is crazy compared to a dd 3512, the sq is right on point, very tight and punchy, but when the low lows come on it pounds them hard and is very clean sounding.
It takes quite a bit of power to get them moving as well. I just cant say nothing but great things about the new line.
But that is just my opinion, if your not comfortable enough with purchasing re subs there are many other great choices as well. But comparing the re sxx to a dd 3512 i would choose the re anyday, the dd may be a little louder, but sounds so sloppy compared to the re

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13493
Jack, please refer to this link on power handling for speakers:
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/speakerpwr.html

Also worthy of note, is that you can typically use an amplifier rated for up to 40-50% higher power output than the RMS rating of the sub(s). Amps are rated with a resistive load at full output with a static pink noise tone generator.
The amp in a car cabin, with the sub in a speaker box, playing music will never, ever see the full output of the amplifier. Thus, with those factors figured in, you'd be find with a considerably larger amp even if the sub is only rated for 800WRMS

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 816
I will check it out and thanks for the link and hints on what to do and buy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us