Which setup? SQL

Bronze Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 35
2002 Chevy Malibu. Backseat doesn't fold down, but ski pass will be cut and rear deck completely vented. Big 3.etc etc. Looking for a SQL setup. Box will be ported. For each setup will be about 4.5-5.0 cubic feet. Just wanting to know which, if comparable, will be louder but still have the best SQ.
1. 2 12" ssa xcon's w/ saz-3000d possibly saz3500
2. 3 10" Fi Q's w/ saz-3000d
3. 3 10" Fi BL w/ saz-3000d

... Only rap and hip-hop will be played. I'm not sure if the 3 10's will be as loud though? Also, i was considering and looking for 3 10" subs that can take 4000rms power - any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13368
I vote single 15" or 18" Fi SSD with SAZ-1500D

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
I wouldn't really need to upgrade the big 3 if i had a single 15 on 1500 watts would i ? Would i get by with a new alt and 1/0 wiring? Come to really think about it, it will be a whole lot cheaper, it'll be still impressive when i roll up and only got 1 15 in the trunk that loud. i really like the xcon i think i'm going to think it over and consider an xcon 15. 18 wouldn't fit in my trunk. The sub(s) will be facing the cabin.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 656
The big 3 is rather simple and inexpensive to do, so you would want to do it reguardless. If SQL is what you want, you did good choosing a Xcon, they'll do the trick. You could test to see which way the subs face sound the best to you. Normally having them face the trunk and the back of the box facing the cabin sounds a little better. Every car is different though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
yea i'll be sure to move the box around to see which sounds better.

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13373
with a single 15", go with a box on the large side of recommended volume, and tune it to 28Hz with a slot vent.
If you do a high output alternator, the "big 3" is required. Do that, and the amplifier with 1/0 awg wiring.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
okay.. Anyone else have any suggestions?? the 10's, 12's or 15? decisions decisionsssssssss!

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 380
Id probly just get a single 15'' too. You would save yourself some money an its still going to sound dam good!

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13385
just to add a bit more data for your decision, I prefer a single sub as large as I can get away with using for an install when I hve the choice. A larger sub will have more moving mass, which lowers it's Fs and F3, thus making the sub hit harder and louder, more deeply with the right box. A larger sub will also have typically more excursion, and always more surface area than a single smaller sub, and usually more of both than two combined smaller subs while using the same or less enclosure volume. You can also typically get the same output with equal or less power from say, a single 15" compared to two 12" subs. The advantages are numerous for using a single sub, and that's without even getting into the more esoteric and obscure arguments over things like multi-vectored point sourcing, where you can argue about having more than one driver producing the same frequency at the same time, from more than one place in the car causing phase anomolies and all that nonsense. Anyway, if you want to be able to "tuck the subs into" corners in the trunk or hide them, then sure smaller subs are the way to go. If you have the space for a "box" in the trunk, or plan to do a flase floor enclosure etc.. then go big.

The resonant impact of big subs can't be beaten, and the myths about smaller subs being quicker/faster or punchier, or larger subs being able to "play deeper" are just that. Myths. How fast or detailed a speaker plays is actually a function of the driver's motor strength (BL) and the enclosure you choose for it, not it's cone area.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
yea i have about 5 cubic ft for an enclosure. A 15 xcon would it be better in 4 cubes or 5 ? Ported. I'm just concerned it's not going to be as loud as i want. I know its going to be loud, could it get as loud as my 2 L7 15's in a EXTREMELY small sealed box running off of about 500 rms. Before that i had one 15 L7 off of about 300 rms.. the amps i had were junk. But the saz1500 is pure power. I've never ran that much, or can i even get a saz-2000 for the 1750 rms xcon? One 15 is alot cheaper and easier than the 2 12's i do want.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
info info info

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 945
i'd stick with the 1500d, they are known to be underrated, ssa has a package deal with the 1500 and xcon, not sure if you were aware of that.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/SSA-XCON-15D2-%252b-SUNDOWN-SA Z%252d1500D-COMBO.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us