Top of the line for under $500

Username: Yungndumb

Scottsdale, AZ

Post Number: 1
below are a couple of links of amps I am currently considering.
I am trying to power 2 12" 4ohm DVC Boston Acoustic G3's.
I want a great SQ amp that will complement the SQ capabilities of these subs. I'm familiar with Rockford Fosgate and US amps, but which amp out these would sound the best?

DLS RA 10
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=7131

Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bd
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Power-T1500-1bd-Amplifier/dp/B000NI865A

US Amps MD-1D
http://www.woofersetc.com/p5360/MD1D--US-Amps-1-Ch-MD-Series-Amplifier.htm

Zapco REF750.2
http://www.woofersetc.com/p601/REF7502--Zapco-Reference-2-Ch-750-Watt-Amplifier. htm

personally RF is at the bottom of my list, but let me know

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4424
The differences in the sounds produced from those amps would likely not be noticable to an untrained ear.. To achieve the best sound from your substage, install and enclosure would be what I focused my SQ questions towards.. In my personal opinion I would look for a class AB amp over a class D amp for a more SQ orientated setup.

Bronze Member
Username: Ja205

Post Number: 32
ask kevin about rd1000.1 amp

Scottsdale, AZ

Post Number: 2
I appreciate the input, but why would you prefer an AB over a D amp?...and as far as the brands I am looking at how would you rank them?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 607
If SQ is what you're shooting for, look for an amp to run your 2 subs at 750 rms at 4 ohms. One site showed the RF 1500 doing 750 x 1 at 4 ohm, the link you have doesn't though, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 609
Kicker 1500.1 will do 750 rms at 4 ohm.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13262
AB will be cleaner than D class, however, with subs, even in a SQ system, you honestly won't hear the difference, and it's very difficult and very, very expensive to buy a high current, high powered class AB amplifier (1000+ watts) and they will devour current since they have a low efficiency compared to a class D amp.
Remember in car subs you really can't audibly hear distortion below about 10% anyway, so what you really want is to just find a good amplifier with a decent damping factor and slew rate, and the power and reliability you desire. Reliability and RMS power are waht you pay for with an amp. SQ isn't really about the amp, that's about the speakers.

Richard Clark put forth that you can't hear the difference between ANY two amplifiers with the same power output, operating within their parameters (no clipping etc) and nobody yet has been able to objectively disprove this, else he'd have paid out a very large sum of money to the person who could.

The main reason I personally use a class AB amp for my sub, and another of the same amp for my front stage, is simply because I have the amplifiers already, and they are extremely well-made amplifiers. I have no reason to replace them as of now except for the possibility of replacing my 2 channel front stage amp to put in 6 separate channels to drive the fronts so I can use an active filter network to optimize time alignment and crossovers.

Scottsdale, AZ

Post Number: 3
now with that said about its the speakers, not the amp that produces better sound quality, how would you compare the g3's with the ID4v3's (image dynamics)? I haven't installed the g3's yet and can still return them.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13272
that's entirely personal preference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us