ho alternators

Bronze Member
Username: Smokeit

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 32
i have been trying to hook this damn amp up for months now and yall tell me i need a new alt right. so i call around look around here are some prices ohio generators 500, another place 639. talked to a local shop and he was saying that u can not fit a 175 amp alt in my car which is a 2000 civic. i was informed that the ho alts are unwound and redone to push more amperage. tell me what is up i was told not to buy from mr alternator. i am on the conclusion i need to sell my amp.

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 33
i have a directed 1100d amp and my stock alt is like 75 amps. how much would i need to power this puppy.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3673
who told you not to use mralternator? a competitor?
Ohio Generator makes very good alternators. They aren't cheap though.
You could check eBay. I see honda alternators up to 200A there pretty cheap.

that's a load of crap about not fitting a 175A in a civic though. I've seen 270A alternators in civics before. They just needed custom mounts fabbed.

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 34
oh well that was a local alternator shop that builds them and they said that there is not enuf space to instal a bigger case than what is factory.

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 36
also that alt on mr alt is only 130 and i need about 100-110 just for the amp. what about my alarm,powerlocks,radio etc

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 38
ok i just found 150 alt on ebay that is local. should i order it because they have a 1800 number and that prolly means they have them in stock.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3675
give them a call

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 40
OK SO THEY ARE ABOUT 10 MINS FROM ME AND IT IS 150 AMPS FOR 249 IF I PICK IT UP OR 129 ON EBAY AND 16 DOLLARS SHIPPING. I CALLLED THEM WOLF AND I AM GOING TO PICK IT UP ON MONDAY. NOW THIS IS GOING TO BE FINE ENUF AND ONEO MORE ? WHATS THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN WITH HO ALTERNATOR. CAN U FRIE UR WIRES REAL BAD OR ANYTHING

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 41
OK SO THEY ARE ABOUT 10 MINS FROM ME AND IT IS 150 AMPS FOR 249 IF I PICK IT UP OR 229 ON EBAY AND 16 DOLLARS SHIPPING. I CALLLED THEM WOLF AND I AM GOING TO PICK IT UP ON MONDAY. NOW THIS IS GOING TO BE FINE ENUF AND ONEO MORE ? WHATS THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN WITH HO ALTERNATOR. CAN U FRIE UR WIRES REAL BAD OR ANYTHING

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3691
please stop posting everything two or three times, and turn off the caps lock.
it's difficult to read in all caps..
thanks.

with 150A, you'll want at least 4ga cable for the alt to battery, battery ground, and battery to amps.
after that you'll be fine. won't hurt anything

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 51
sorry my daughter was playing with the keyboard earlier and when it double posted it was not posting and i put the wrong price in on the first time. sorry i double posted and yes i already have the amp 4 guaged all the way through. im going to pick the alt up on tuesday and i think i will be ready to but should i go ahead and install the cap i have now becaus i already bought.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3698
the cap will help prolong the alternator's life, theoretically at least, so that's good.
the alternator should help a lot.
sounds like you're well on your way now.
good job.

aren't kids fun? haha

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 53
just making sure cuz every1 bashes caps. didnt know if i should sell it or use it as a door stop

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3704
nah use the cap. the problem with caps is that people think it replaces the need for a high output alternator.. it's sort of like trying to replace your car's tires with a steering wheel.
both are handy, but neither will do the other's job very well.

Username: Loudnobnoxious

Post Number: 1
jesus christ i came across this post after searching for a high output alternator on google.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE GUYS. I am damn near a pro and they are leading you the wrong way.

DO NOT waste your time installing the cap. The only thing the cap is, is something else for your alternator to charge. It is a waste of time, sell it and collect the cash.

and another thing, you DO NOT need an extra alternator to run that small amplifier. I had an orion xtr pro 2400, which pulls around 375 amps peak, running off a stock alternator and it did fine.

when you say your amp is 135 amp, that's not 135 amp continuous. you are not going to be listening to it at FULL OUTPUT for a long while, more than likely you'll cook what you have it hooked up to (in most cases.)

Glasswolf, i'm not meaning to be a dick, but don't lead this guy in the direction of needing to spend $500 on an alternator just so he can listen to his tunes.

Now once he goes 2000+ watts then he MIGHT want to take that into consideration. until then, he will be just fine.

and to top that off with, my orion xtr pro has a class ab power supply, which means it draws a hell of a lot of current. it uses the juice wisely, but it draws the hell out of it.

NOW that i am going to be running a pair of 2400's, i'm now looking into a single alternator, to stay within my class's requirements. Also when drawing 700+ amps of current, another battery besides your cranking battery would be a plus.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3876
sorry but I disagree, and I am a professional, and have been for over a decade.
I've used a high output alternator in cars that had 200 watts of amplifiers running because they NEEDED it. I've also run 1200 watt amps in cars that did fine with a stock charging system.
The thing is, there's no way to tell the reserve on a particular car's alternator until you see how the system is used, what the car uses, etc.
As I always suggest, try stock first. If you're having problems with the voltage rails sagging and lights dimming etc, then upgrade to a higher hot rating on the alternator.
I ran 820 watts RMS of class AB amps in my IASCA car and it used a 150A alternator to handle the load. My Charger has 3,000 watts of class AB amps, and that's using a 300A alternator (all Orion amps in both cases, btw :-) )
Anyway, the capacitor isn't a replacement for an alternator as I mentioned.
What it will do though is improve transient response to peak current demands for brief periods when, and only when the rest of the charging system is up to par.

You have a very good point however, that an amp's "RMS" power rating is only applicable at full output. Taking this a step further, going from full output, every time you audibly reduce the volume by half, you reduce power by a factor of ten. an amp putting out 1200 watts at full blast, will only be driving about 120 watts at half of it's full volume (to your ears.)
This is why a lot of "big" systems never draw what people expect them to for current. They never get close to their full output before it's too loud, or the speakers bottom out, or what have you.

here's mroe info I've authored on charging systems and capacitorsto help clear up any misunderstanding:
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=50.topic
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=49.topic

and don't worry. I didn't think you're being a dick. you're totally welcome to your views, and to voice them. I think we're pretty much in agreement overall. It's just a matter of approach.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3877
I forgot to mention, in regards to a larger current draw, for the three Orion 2250XTR amps I'm using, I'm also using the 300A alternator, 0 gauge cable distribution, an Orion MBR70 battery regulator, an optima red top starter battery, and two yellow top batteries for the audio system.
That and thermal circuit breakers, fusing, etc.. all the doodads to round it out as I run the cabling. The charging system is vital to a good system, even when as in my case, the audio system isn't the main focus of the vehicle.

Post Number: 10
i've gotta give you props on the Orion amps, that's all I run and won't touch anything else. I'm also looking into an MBR70. hopefully a pair of sp1700 stinger batteries as well. those are after i pick up my 300 amp altie.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3884
yeah larger purpose-built alternators like this aren't cheap, but they do what they're meant to do under load, which is what really matters.
I'm getting one with the chromed casing so it blends well on the 440 engine with it's brushed valve covers, etc. No justice in having braided lines, and a fancy motor with a blah looking alternator. haha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
i just bought a Plymouth Voyager and i'm just gonna put a 300a alt in it and say the hell with it. i'm only going to use the ran for daily driving for 2 years before picking up a vette or something close. im hoping to pull some high numbers but i've gotta come up with the rest of the cash to do it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us