Help me pick a setup

Username: Nustarnes

Post Number: 1
Hello and sorry for this newb post,

I just got a new Jetta and am looking to add a sub to the stock stereo system. I'd like a little bit of umph, but am much more considered with SQ. I also don't want to strain the electrical system too much. I'd rather not have to get a new battery or alternator, but I'm not totally opposed to it if it is necessary.

I'm guessing I'd want a 8"-10" sub as I seem to recall the smaller subs having better SQ. I'm not too sure about brand. I recall JL W7 and Alpine Type-X being good, but I'm sure you guys might have some better suggestions.

So what brands should I be looking at for Sub and Amp?

What about enclosure? Should I be looking at a prefab with close to the proper dimensions, or is it better to get one built?

Is the anti-rattle (or whatever it's called/for) matting necessary or useful?

Any other important factors I'm forgetting?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm too vague. Let me know if there is anymore info I can give.

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

BanginGMCUSA

Post Number: 377
JL W7 and Alpine Type-X are great for SQ.

PDX 1000, JL 1000.1, AQ1200, will all work great.

For SQ sealed would be fine.

A prefab with the EXACT specs would be fine.. but a built one always puts me to ease.

Deadner matt is usefull, buy that once you see how your jetta reacts to the system first.

Other info: Do NOT go to walmart and buy an amp kit! "haha" Get good wire, any high name brand will do fine. Kicker, FG, etc (found at local audio shops)

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5256
No no no to prefab enclosures.

Silver Member

BanginGMCUSA

Post Number: 379
^^^ yeaaahhh true, by fine i ment like fiiiinnnnneeeeeee haha

bassman3 builds boxes, he can hook you UP :-)

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 200
yeah a JL 10w6 would work too. or an Fi Q

and as long as you stay at or below ~1500 watts, you won't put too much strain on your stock electrical.

as for a box, it really depends on you and the sub. you said that you want SQ, but personally, i own a JL10w6 and have it in a ported box and it still sounds great. The sealed box i have for it is just to quiet for me. It really depends on personal preferance. (and the sub)

Post Number: 2
Ok, right now I'm thinking about the w7 8" or 10". The 8" appears to be 300w RMS and the 10" 500w.

I'm thinking this amp will go well with either of those, but I'm not totally sure. Maybe there's a better option? It's 500w RMS at 2ohm, but I think the subs are both 3ohm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-500-1V2-AMP-500W-MONOBLOCK-AMPLIFIER-500-1-NEW_W0QQ itemZ110481130554QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item19b930443a

I'm also thinking about this wiring kit. Look fine?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stinger-HPM-4-Gauge-Amplifier-Wiring-Wire-Kit-SHK241-GA_W0QQ itemZ400096772162QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d27a04042

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10630

quote:

and as long as you stay at or below ~1500 watts, you won't put too much strain on your stock electrical.

that would kill a stock electrical system. i had around 1300 watts in my lancer, and the b1tch nearly stalled out at a red light with the stock battery/alt. a jetta im guessing doesnt have an alternator much higher than 90a.

i wouldn't put more than ~200-300wRMS on that alternator. if you put more, you will have your headlights dimming, and you will eventually be replacing your alternator, and a dead battery. :-)

edit---
I looked online at a 2008 Volks Jetta and the website stated it had a 140A alternator on the base model. That is significantly higher than my car, but you must think that when they decide the amperage for a car's alternator, they don't leave a lot of headroom for car stereo equipment. Just a heads up. The amp you chose (500wRMS) should be ok, but i would buy a YellowTop just to be on the safe side.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 202
yeah true. i was operating under the theory that most stock alternators are ~100 amps

Silver Member

BanginGMCUSA

Post Number: 390
That amp is good for the 10" W7. I would go with a knukonceptz amp kit.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=Amp%20Installation%20Kits

Post Number: 3
I couldn't find a yellowtop for the Jetta on Optima's site. I'll look around to see if there is one that fits, but I'm sorta thinking I'll see if I have any problems before I get the battery. Bad idea?

Thoughts on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-SEALED-JL-AUDIO-10-W7-MDF-SUB-ENCLOSURE-10W7-BOX_W0QQitem Z360220688911QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53ded3820f

I haven't checked the manual, but it says it's built to exact spec for the W7 10".

If I end up going with the 8", is that amp still good, or should I get something a bit smaller?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2017
everyone hates on prefab......im not a huge fan - but if build to spec, then what is the issue?

i would use a prefab sealed box

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13020
x2

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 403
Batts: You could get a Kinetik 1400
http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/product.asp?C=1&P=KHC1400

They sell cases for em too.
http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/product.asp?C=3&P=KMS-KASES

WARNING:
Never short circuit (touch positive to negative in any manner) your Kinetik Power Cell, such action could cause physical harm or death.
BE SAFE!
-----------------------------
That box should be fine.. it its really made for it, id compaire cubes from JL website to that box. If its not on the site just call.
----
It'll be chill if you see how yr car reacts WITHOUT a new batt.. if voltage drops is an issue then get the batt listed above.

Post Number: 4
Ok, I ordered the W7 10" for $359.95, the JL AUDIO 500/1 V2 for $349.95, and a Stinger 4 Gauge kit for $57.75.

I'm going to hold off on the box for now. I'll try to find a good installer around Chicago and talk to them first.

Post Number: 5
I've been looking for a box, but I'm not having a lot of luck finding exact specs. Most of them seem to have the right net volume, but the dimensions are off. Do the dimensions matter much?

W15.5xH14xD15
Net volume: 1.25 cu ft
Wall thickness .75in
Front baffle: 1in

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13035
I get roughly 1.36 cubic feet. The only thing I figure is the box has a slight slant making it 1.25. Dont forget to add your subs space taken up.

Post Number: 6
Those are the dimensions from the manual. An example of the dimensions from a box I was thinking of getting is:

Box external dimensions.... Width17.25" - Height 13.5" - Depth 7.75"

It doesn't even seem like it would fit in that.

Another example:

Dimensions (W x H x D): 15.5" x 11.5" x 18.25"

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 208
I'll tell you as an owner of a w7 and 500/1 myself, you will love your set up. Get a nice enclosure for the woofer and you'll be good to go.

Post Number: 7
Any input on how detrimental it is for the enclosure dimensions to be off if the net volume is correct? I still can't seem to find a box that is very near spec besides having the correct net volume.

Perhaps some advice on where I can get a box built? I'll PM bassman3. I'll also ask the shops when I call about install.

I kind of wish I had just purchased this combination, which can be had for ~$500. If I'm really unhappy with my options I may have to sell the Sub I just got and buy it.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa33/nustarnes/x136S110R7.jpg

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 498
Bassman knows his shiiiiiiiiiiit, he designed me a blow through with 6 12" subs ina matter of days.

You could always build one though, its easy if you know how to glue and use a drill... have home depot cut yr wood. BUT make sure those phucks cut it EXACT!

Post Number: 8
I've built one with a friend before. It was ok, but I'm not really up for doing it now.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 500
There is a lot of great builders here, if you want a box from them dont even bother doing any math besides how much space you are willing to spare for the box. The builder will take care of the rest.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us