Subs not powering with amp still on

Username: Soleam87

Post Number: 4
** Ive posted this in the Amplifier section, posting in the Sub section to see if I can get more answers.

Hello all, I am new to this forum...

I have installed a Jensen head-unit, Diamond Audio d6 1500.1 mono block, and 2 15" L5's, 1 farad lightning audio cap, 4 guage wires, in-line fuse block connected to power in my car right now, for the past year or so my set up has been working fine and dandy, but today I cranked up the volume(how i usually do) and the speakers didnt seem to get any signal from the amp after about half of maximum volume. I checked all my fuses(and in-line fuse block) and everything is fine. I removed the cap but still had the same problem, put the cap back in, checked if any shorts are running but none, all my rca's are running fine. i dont know what could be wrong, The protect light isnt going on and it shows my amp is receiving power from my car;I can turn the headunits volume up to 15 with the subs moving but if i raise the volume any louder than that it get cut off, with the amp still on (not going into protection). Please if anyone can help !!!

Ive had the system in my car for about a year with it being fine and I cannot figure this out, i was reading about some things about "Clipping", but wasnt sure if I was getting it.

Thank you, I called Diamond audio's tech dept. to see if they could think of anything, i was told to check the voltage of my batter and also my alt. They are both fairly old and that could be a problem. To note, Ive ran the system with the ignition on (without cranking the battery) and i still got the same issue with the subs kicking out, and the same thing happens even when i crank the car on. So it might be something electrical thats causing this, Diamond audio told me that my battery is just a storage area for power and obviously that my alt is the main source of power, but with the subs kicking off on both just the batter and the battery with the car cranked up, i get a little confused. and theres no way i can check the voltage or to check if my alt is good, i live in a very secluded area. I guess, the next thing i can think of is trying to run my system in my wifes car but then i have to get a hi/lo converter since shes running on her stock HU.

If anyone has ANY other ideas on what could be the problem, please post.

Please help!

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4087
check each subs voice coil (ohms) with a dmm and check the subs wiring (all connections from amp to subs)

i would put a dmm on the amps output terminals to see what ohm load the amp is recieving from the subs... could be a v.c. that is bad ...

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4088
I would like to know what your voltage is sitting at at idle and what is is at when the subs quit playing (voltage drop) as well..

also, check your ground connections and ground wires.. Check them thoroughly. What might seem like a good connection may not be sufficient and may have come loose over time..

Does your cap have a digital voltmeter built in?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5057
hu settings changed? like sub out? hpf/lpf?

Try an ipod or something plugged into the amp directly, lose the HU , and jump the rem for this test.
My money is on the HU.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us