JL W6 or W7?

Silver Member
Username: Dupe112309

Post Number: 110
just wondering what you guys think is the better sub? I'm basing on sound quality. what about 2 w6's vs. 1 w7. I want real good SQ that still gets loud. would 1 JL w6 be sufficient or would you reccomend a W7

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1362
for sql a pair of w6 would be good... if ur looking to get loud... then u should not be looking at these subs.
u can get something just as good (IMO) for much less

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
i completely agree with you that so many others subs will simply get loud, but most dont retain any sq.....i know a w7 gets pretty damn loud but how is the sound quality of the w7? i'm really looking to get just 1 sub so i can maintain some type of trunk space

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1364
well the w7 has good sq. and with the right box anything can be loud. but really the w7 is not built to be for spl. its just made to sound good.

if ur looking for something that gets loud and has quality. u should look into the fiaudio Q or even maybe the fiaudio BL. i owned a BL and it had good sound quality . butter than i thought it would.

i would almost bet money that u would like the sound of the q and when u see the price ull like itmore.

if ur new to fiaudio the Q is for sound quality and the BL is for both sounding good and getting loud

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 914
Check out the FI Q (link below). I think that would be better for the money.

www.ficaraudio.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
i'm really just looking for sound quality. i had two alpine r's which got imo decently loud with 1000wrms but i am past the "being heard from 3 streets away" stage and want some great sq from a sub

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
so do 90% of people agree that the Fi Q is better than the JL w7?
if so then... 1 or 2?
ported or sealed?
also what does BP and "dustcap" mean on their site?
dual 1 ohm or dual 2 ohm, i have a kicker zx1000.1 so 1000wrms@2ohms and 500wrms@4ohms
thanks for everything guys. anybody got vids of these babies in action?

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
so do 90% of people agree that the Fi Q is better than the JL w7?
if so then... 1 or 2?
ported or sealed?
also what does BP and "dustcap" mean on their site?
dual 1 ohm or dual 2 ohm, i have a kicker zx1000.1 so 1000wrms@2ohms and 500wrms@4ohms
thanks for everything guys. anybody got vids of these babies in action?

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 915
I would go with 1 15 or 18 if you can fit it and get the dual 1 ohm.

The bp option helps with power handleing.
The dustcap means that you can have a different color for the logo part on the dustcap.

If you want to see them in action just go on youtube and type in fi q and see what comes up.

Bronze Member
Username: Christopherrm

Post Number: 27
i would say they both have good sound quality. i haven't heard the Q but i am willing to bet that it has a significant edge on SQ from the way people talk about it. Also compared to the price tag of the W7 it is probably a way better choice.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1366
the W7 would be sound great. so would the Q. if u care about money at all get the Q. but yes the W7 may sound better. it is just that for 2 times the money it does not sound that much better. i don't think u would be able to tell a difference in sound quality. at least my ears prolly wouldn't. but have listened to both, its really what YOU like better. if money is no limit then the W7 is good. but almost every one will say that the W7 or W6... or almost any JL sub is way over priced.

i would not go with an 18 if ur looking for sq. get a 12inch Q in a sealed box.

the free air on each sub is the same.. the w7 has a little larger xmas... very little.
im not saying they are the same sub.. but gosh! the prices!

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1367
what u could do is get a pair of 12inch Qs and ill sell ya my AQ2200.. i also have ott guage wire for sale. or if not.. i would still get the Q..

remember the build makes ALL the difference. on audioques site thay have a guy winning finals and all kinds of comps for SQ and most people say AQ subs are for spl only.

what i am trying to get at is save that 300 bucks u would spend on the W7 and get some wood and make the box on ur own. im sure a lot of people will help u with the design. i will even help u

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1697
id pm jake or chad they are the sq "experts" they can give you good suggestions

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
since they handle 1000wrms, is there a way i could wire 1 12 or 15 for my amp load to produce 2ohms? i'd like to keep my amp, and i already have ott gauge wire (man was that a pain to run in my mustang) and i wouldn't wanna upgrade my electrical system. if i could i'd want to get one Q in a sealed box or my other option was the w7 in a sealed box. more trunk space, great sq.

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1700
is the amp 2ohm STABLE?

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1134
if you get a Dual 1 Q then you can use your amp to its full potential

and good luck getting a 15 in your mustang if its 94+ model

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
haha get this. i had 2 type r's in a 5ft^3 ported box in my 00 stang. had it custom made by fisher customs for 200. i'd prob just get it 12 in like a 1.2 ft^3 sealed box. sealed would be best sq/accuracy right?

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1138
yes

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
how bad would it be if i bought a box pre-made? it'd be 5/8 MDF made my ground shaker. and how exactly would i wire the 1 ohm sub to achieve a 2 ohm load on the amp?

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1704
if its a SEALED box prefab isnt optimal but not terrible if you go ported deff get a custom box

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1705
if its dual 1 ohm sub then you do pos on one side of the sub to neg on the other side of the sub. pos on the sub to pos on the amp. neg on the sub to neg on the amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
yeah im gonna try a sealed box first...alright that sounds good. i should be pushin around 1100rms@2ohms w my kicker so it'll be a good match :-)

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3087
the Q is not better than the w7.

if you're debating 2 w6's or 1 w7, go with the w6's, nuff said

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 928
BLK being useful FTW

Bronze Member
Username: Christopherrm

Post Number: 29
i would have to agree with cal payne. if you want sq you can't go wrong with 2 w6's in a sealed box. don't get me wrong, i liked the sound of my friends single w7 and it got quite loud for just one 10 and retained clear and powerful bass, but w6's are the way to go if you want sq.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
id say im only between the w7 and the fi q. could get the w7 w/ box for 600 and the fi q could get w/ box for about 330. so really leaning towards the fi q

Bronze Member
Username: Circa09skater

Post Number: 77
w6v2 for sq all the way. i have two and they are amazing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
lol sorry but i dont have 900 dollars laying next to me.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1369
HOLD UP! some one said i was useful! that is a first...
i usually get people to say nice build and then a lot of other things that my mom would not want me to hear.

this should end.. get a Q with custom box for bjfisher

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
so if money wasnt an issue, a w7 or an fi q? i might be able to get my hands on a w7 in one of their prowedge boxes for around the same price of an fi q with a custom box

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 923
If we are going to keep this going you could always go with a 04/05 xxx

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 5010
Im with ^^^ xxx all the way best subs ever
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums