Something's wrong!

Bronze Member
Username: Ericmb

Waycross, Ga. United States

Post Number: 46
well just the other day i was taking my box out of my trunk to cut out a piece of 3/8 plywood to sit under my trunk mat so my box would have something solid to sit on.

We took it out, which took a whiiile because i miscalculated my measurements before building my box and we built it a little too big for my trunk..
When i went to hook it back up, it was making a faint humming/ buzzing noise and wouldn't hardly hit at all. i thought maybe my ground was in a bad spot and one of my subs were disconnected.. everything is good that i can tell...
help me?
All i did was take my box out, unhook my amp, and change my ground location.

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1675
take a dmm to your ground and make sure its reading .4 or less otherwise bad ground. did you bump any settings on the gain? did you hook the wires back up correctly?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10030
Wanna move that decimal a few places to the left? lmao. If you've got .4 ohms of resistence in your ground you've got seroius problems bud.

OP:
You could have damaged the amp if you unhooked speaker wires without taking off the cars battery ground. ALWAYS disconnect battery ground before working on anything connected to live circuits. People who don't do it is how equipment gets damaged.

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1676
lol good call btw grats on going platinum

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
everything was hooked up correctly. and i even hooked my ground back up to it's original ground spot and still did the same thing.. and i always disconnect the negative on the battery. don't know why i didn't do it that time.
I have to buy a new amp anyways, and am just going to buy new subs too. but i just wanted to know what the problem was and if i could do anything to fix it or prevent it from happening again??

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10033
Disconnect your negative terminal.... lol. Touching speaker wires to ground (or anything really) is a very easy way to damage an amplifier, one of the most common ways, which is what I suspect happened here....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
quite possibly.. but what could be the reason for the humming/ buzzing noise in my subs and the reason that they hardly even hit when i hook them up? but when i take the box out of my car and hooked the amp and subs up in my cousins truck they played fine...

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10041
You tried the amp AND subs together in a different car and they worked? Then it has to be your HU or wiring.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1757
It's pretty common to damage your rcas when unplugging/plugging them back in. I had something similar happen due to a bad rca, and if the equipment still worked well in another car you might want to check that.
g/l

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
yes when i hook the subs and amp together in my cousins truck on his HU and wiring it did fine.. i thought it might be my RCA cables but i figured if it was my rca cables being bad it wouldnt play period? idk

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10044
It is not the RCA cable that gets damaged, its the circuits in the HU.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
soo i need a new HU?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10055
Possibly..... get an mp3 player and a headphone to RCA adapter cord and plug it into your amp. If it works the problem is in you HU or RCA cable.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 168
ok i just built a new box today, and as i was putting it in/ building it(i had to build it IN the trunk because of opening restrictions), i made sure all my wires were hooked up right and everything was connected, when i got far enough down the road, I turned it up and it did this same thing.

I went back home, checked my wires, checked my amp, and sure enough, one sub was hooked up good to the amp + to + and - to -, but the other sub was hooked up + to - and - to +. a noobie mistake i know, but i switched them back and as soon as i did everything worked fine...

so TRIPLE CHECK YOUR WIRES.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3548
^You just wired it out of phase. Not that big of a deal.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 171
steve- sweet. thank you very much. but my amp keeps going into protect and the little guy at the local audio store said i might've blown a sub??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us