Ideas for SPL sub!

Bronze Member
Username: Poundhardheh

Palmerston, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 55
Hey, I need some help picking a sub! I just got a new car and Im looking for a some or some subs or lots of subs. My setup ideas are 1 18", 3 12", 2 15", 5 10". Most likely not the 10's cause they are not usually SPL subs.

But I'm mostly lookign for SPL but also want good SQ.

I am really looking at 4 15" Memphis M3 or Mojo's I cant remember and I also am looking at 2 15" Fi Q's. Tell me what you all think! THank you!

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1426
Fi Q's are NOT spl subs.

whats your budget?

if you are going for SPL then go ahead and put HO alt and maybe some Batts in your budget.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Ya, I know the Fi Q's arn't SPL but I heard they are very nice sounding and I was thinkgin 3 of them. My budget is alot I'll just say that, and yes I plan on a H/O alt and 2 batts or so

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2589
dont go w/ Memphis subs.....trust me

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Jw but why not Memphis Subs?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9932
Two DD 9515

and 5-6kw of power.

Will blow your ears off in SPL.

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLside, Pronounced: ... U.S.A.

Post Number: 575
What is your budget for subs?
What is your budget for amps?
How much power are you looking to run?
Any electrical upgrades?
How much space to you have to work with?

These need to be answered.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
$1000 for subs.

$1000 for amps.

3000-4000watts of power

I dont have any electrical upgrades yet, but I'm planning on H/O alt and some Kinetik cells.

It's in a 96ish Cutlass. I'm not looking for a 18" though I still want some SQ

Bronze Member
Username: Terra

Post Number: 36
BTL, Omega, MT, Nightshade, 9500 series, Mach5 SPL, umm...I always leave something out.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4635
best thing is to go to a few local show, or search spl winners.. See what subs they ran. Buy those subs and feed them more power.
T-3 has been doing good around here.
4-15"s doing 160+ on 20k

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2384
If you are wanting good SQ, then you don't want an SPL sub. Sounds like you want an loud SQL sub.

2 Audiopulse Axis on 5kw+
1 Audiopulse LMS Ultra on 5kw+
2 Audiopulse Revo's 3~4kw
2 Sundown Nightshades 3~4kw
2 Fi BTL's 4kw+
3 or 4 BL's (or Q's if you want the lows and more SQ with less output)
2 RD Alpha V2(w/dual spider) 4kw
2 RD Aplha V2(w/single spider, better SQ) 3kw
2 IA death penaltys 3kw
3 or 4 IA death rows 4kw
4 IA flatlyne on 3kw
2 ED SPv.2 3~4kw
2 Treo SSX 4kw+
3-4 Atomic Apocalypse 3~4kw+
2 Mach5Audio SPL's 3kw+
2-3 RE SX 3~4kw
3-4 DC lvl4 on 3~4kw+

That's a small start...

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1427
now thats a list!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
That's an awesome list. Yea I think I should have put What's an awesome SQL sub. Cause I want a loud sub thats still musical and provides deep lows.

I've been looking into the Fi Q's and BLs alot, but more interested in the Q's because I love the lows. Will 3 15" Q's powered right put out a ton of output? If so I'm thinking that will be my setup, if I can fit them.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2387
I haven't heard a Q in person, but they are suppose to have a very nice low end. I'm sure 3 of them would get plenty loud too.

Just think of this, I saw 2 12" LA storm x2's on caraudio.com classifieds for $350+shipping. I know 2 12"s might not sound appealing, but those subs have an insanely hard hitting low end and sound great. Or if you could find 2 or 3 of the LA storms, tc-3000 or Eclipse Ti's that would be an awesome setup.

If you had 5kw I would say 2 Audiopulse Axis. Suppose to play near identical to a TC-3000, just much louder.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Quick question, when you say 5kw. That's meaning kilowatts right?

So is that like 5000 watts amp at peak power?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
I need some ideas for a complete SQL setup.

I'm thinking...

2 or 3 15" Fi Q's because of the lows and quality

Amp I'm thinking Hifonics XXV Goliath maybe or a Sundown SAZ-3000

H/O alt by some make I really don't know about alts

Two Kinetik caps(not sure sizes)

Ported Box, tuned low 30's (not sure size of box)

I think that sounds like a pretty good SQL setup. Would those amps be good picks for those subs?

And also anyone else have any ideas on setups? Something similar to the Q's.

Bronze Member
Username: Dstokes

Monterey, California

Post Number: 12
Subs- audioque hdc3, t3 tsns or tss, DC level 5 or level 4 XL, image dynamics id max, fi btl or bl, RE xxx or mx or mt or sx, atomic apx or apxx, digital designs 9500 or z
Amps- audioque AQ3500d is a steal

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9940
" So is that like 5000 watts amp at peak power? "

RMS power. Peak means nothing, never go by that.

You said you can do electrical upgrades, which is good cause you will need em.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1734
Mike I would be sure you're ready to get into this- you might want to read a few informative websites before trying to upgrade to equipment that could easily be damaged.

When you talk about big power and overpowering subs you get to where you need to have some knowledge in order to keep from damaging things- setup a 5kw amp wrong and you'll have blown subs (seen and heard of numerous people blowing a BTL with sundown 3ks).

When someone suggests something and you are curious about it www.google.com is a good source to find out more without going off what some person in a forum says- maybe at least what several people in several forums say.

You can't just say your budget is a lot because to joe it could be $500, while to bob it means $10-15,000.

With a cutlass while you have a large trunk- there is a point where you just can't jam any more equipment in there. You'll most likely wire 3 subs to 1.34 ohms, which is not taking advantage of the full power almost any amp can put out. I would run 2 subs on one amp and add a 2nd pair of subs and a 2nd amp down the road when your budget/need for it is there.

A sundown 3k on 2 bls, or many of the other subs mentioned in a good ported box would be nice.

I'd get at least kinetik 2400s if you plan on doing this for daily, and whatever you do with your alt don't go Iraggi. Good luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
I know the difference between Peak and RMS I was just wondering if the 5 KW means 5000 watts. And I don't really think on running quite that much power.

My two setups are either going to be...

3 15" Fi Q's if I can fit the box in there, If I'm donig that setup I most likely will have two subs normally mounted and one inverted.

Powered by a Hifonics XXV Goliath maybe or a Sundown SAZ-3000 whichever I find for better price

Or my other idea was 6 or 8 sundown E8's powered by one of those amps also

Silver Member
Username: Bumpndatrunk

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 272
Hold on troy you said don't go Iraggi I have gone away for to long what happened with them every one always recommend them and dosen't Steve Meade have 3 on a krazy 20000 watt set up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Alternator's are about the only thing I know nothing about. I used to have a cadillac with a 200 amp alt in the. But I'm going to be needing H/O alt rihgt?

Silver Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 273
The way the guys here on ecoustics and other places is the alt will give your batteries power and the batteries will give your amp power so no good alt all the money and power go to waste

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Yea, I knew that.

What I don't know is what size and need and make and so on.

I know all about the Big 3 and stuff also.

And Would I use a big Kinetik Cell under the hood and one in the trunk?

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1735
it will be very difficult to fit 3 15s in a correct box in the trunk of that car - i have 1 15 and its a damn tight fit for my grand prix

think about space for a big box, the big amplifier(s), and big batteries

i would go with 2 12s in an optimal enclouse and 3-4K RMS along with a HO alt and a couple of batts

1/0 wire is a must as well

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
What' about two 15" Fi Q's with the magnet out.

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1737
thats still going to be tough - i got 2 15 inch RD alphas in hopes of running them in my car but had no chance at getting a proper sized box in let alone room for batts and amps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
What about 8 Sundown e8's because I hear they don't need a very big box and also I would power them with a sundown SAZ- 3000

Or would 2 Fi Q's in a sealed box fit?

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1738
i think you can get a sealed box in there - it would depend on space and your trunk opening and what not

i think 2 12s ported has more potential than 2 15s sealed

i havent heard a e8 in person but i have read some good things about them. 8 8s is kind of a funny setup though

my vote would be 2 12s ported

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Reason i'm not feeling the 12's is just cause I've had 12's before(2 12w7's and 2 12" type X) Nothing as crazy as recommended or anything but it still is just nothing new. But if so the 12's what you recommend?

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1739
well you the title says SPL but you are talking about Qs which are SQ

i guess recommendations would really depend on the sound you are going for

SQ
SQL
SPL

?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Yea, sorry bout that. I shoulda put SQL. I want something loud but still musical. I love the lows mostly also.

I hear 6 e8's can achieve a burp of 146.6. So around that area would be good.

That's why I'm thinking 8 e8's powered by a Sundown SAZ-3000 which is about 375 watts a piece which is a little more than they ask. But the guy on youtube achieveing 146 with them has a SAZ-3000 to 6 8's. I'm more looking for a daily driver however.

ANd also if you really hate the idea of the 8's, what about 3 12" BL's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1735
I had an iraggi setup very similar to Steve meades. 3 380s and my factory alt on one of his brackets. Maybe iraggi sent me the wrong thing (doubt it but I couldnt get in contact with the man to find out) but my factory alternator has around 3 times the output of all other 3 alts combined.

Peak output was nowhere near rated, and he wouldn't call me back.

I spent more with him than most on their whole setup and he couldn't return a call or email for months. He would have to give me alts for free before I'd put one in someones car.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4972
alright you need to figure out exactly how much space you have back there. If you have 6- 10 cuft then you canfit 2 15's. but I would say with the space you have 2 12's in a very large box or 1 15 in a large box will do just about what you need.

get something like 1 DD 9915 with about 5krms on it in a large box youu will get what you want

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2399
The 99 series are suppose to be sick subs!

Elemental Designs 15" SPv.2 don't need big boxes to run. ED recommend 2.5-3.5cf. Those subs have a nice low end, sound good, and can get loud.

Silver Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 274
man troy thats funked up dude so who did you go with on the alt

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudioislikecrack

Post Number: 46
mike i got a 95 cutlass supreme n i ran 2 15's sealed for a while and it was a real tight fit.3 wouldnt fit definatelty 2 ported wont even fit with the amp n kinetiks in there.but i also understand what u mean bout 2 12's bein nothing new.1 DD 9515 ported will fit though i would go with that

Gold Member

Post Number: 1738
I'm running a mechman 250 and my factory 130 right now. Using a MLA 2 alt bracket and module. Great customer service and quality product from both companies.

It took over two months for everything to arrive. When my Iraggi alts came in they looked used and burned up, and he didn't send the belt and wiring he said he would.

Also he told me he wont honor his warranty if you use a MLA module. I'm not just talking down on the man, I gave him the benefit of the doubt before I even posted a single thing online. I called him a hundred times, and left tons of messages and emails over the course of months with no reply.

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1740
x2 - i have never dealt with iraggi but i never would. i sent him many emails and called many times for alty options for my car and he never returned a call or email

i also run a mechman alt like troy. i am very happy with it. mechman makes good products and has great customer service.

"1 DD 9515 ported will fit though i would go with that"

i am currently running a dd9515g on a rd3250 and i like it for the most part. i was thinking about switching to 2 12s but who knows.

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudioislikecrack

Post Number: 47
thats a nice setup

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
15" Elemental Designs 15" SPv.2

or

15" DD 9515

0r

3 10" DD 9515

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 891
I would go with either a dd 9515 or a 9518 if you have room. Definently in a ported box for either setup if you have room...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
How is the SQ on the DD 9515?

I'm not really looking for a 9518 because of SQ wise? Only way I would go 18" is if it has great quality still.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
If the SQ on the DD 9515 is good, than me setup will either be...

15" DD 9515

or

8 Sundown E8's (for the fact, that it would sick all 8 of them pounding, plus I think I can get 8 putting out good output)

I would proboly rather the DD 9515 because it would be quite a bit easier to make a box for and easier to setup.

Well let's say I go for the 9515.

What amp should I buy? name 2 or 3 please.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
One more consideration.

15" RD Alpha V.2

or

15" DD 9515

Which has better SQ and SPL?

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11134
If I were a betting man, and I am, and those subs went head to head with everything being equal (proper power, proper enclusures, etc) I'd bet the DD would put up better numbers on the TL but the Alpha would have better SQ and low-end, not to say the DD wouldn't have SQ or decent low-end or the Alpha wouldn't get loud.

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1745
i have had both the alpha v2 and the dd9515g in my car

i liked the alpha - it had better sq, still got loud, and went lower better

i would choose the 9515 though because i am not a sq guy. it doesnt sound bad by any means - i just like louder which it is

a big difference is i had the alpha on about 1500 RMS and i have 3K+ RMS on the dd9515

amp suggestions for DD9515

RD3250
Sundown 3K
AQ3500D
kicker zx/kx2500
ia20.1
ia40.1

amp suggestions for alpha v2

sundown 1500d
rd1750
aq2200
ia20.1
kicker zx1500

there are plenty more amps - these are just a few i could think of at the moment

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Wow, thank you!

Ok, well I will proboly choose the DD because I found a ton on Caraudioclassified.com

Than I guess which ever amp I find for a good price.

Proboly the Sundown or Kicker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
I like the lows, so tune the box around 32-35hz ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2601
I'de bet that the difference would be less than .5 dB and I know the Alpha would sound a lot better and hit a broader range of Freq's. The DD would likely do better on the TL the higher you tuned your enclosure- They are doth great drivers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Mark, after you saying that makes me want the Alpha. Would you say the Alpha is more of a Musical sub and the DD is more of a Comp sub?

But anyways I think I may get the DD cause I found many on Caraudioclassifieds.

But I was wondering if the Memphis 4k's are good amps. They look damn cool! But I found one for $600 shipped basically. brand new, that's why I am wondering.

Or maybe 2 12" DD 9515 powered by the Memphis 4k?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2349
a 9515 vs. an alpha you'd think .5 DB if both properly powered and tuned? I bet it would be more than that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2602
well maybe so, you would tune the DD higher than you would in an alpha for srtaight spl(f@rt box) I would happily run most DD subs, The are beefy and built like a tank, and the lower levels of DD are amazing as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Ok, well I'm going to run a DD 9515 in a box as big as I can get in a 96 cutlass because they are good from 3cube to 5cubes(i think) tuned around 33hz. Sound like a good setup.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4974
alright ive owned both a dd 9512 and a 15" alpha v2. I am gonna have to say they are about equal on sq. If you want lower the alpha has better lows bu the dd has better highs. Also the dd definetly gets louder and I ran them on the same power. Both great subs but I would pick the dd

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2401
I would consider tuning that box a bit higher. Maybe like 36hz? Being in a trunk will bring the tuning down some more. Hopefully some others can chime in with more exp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Ok thank you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
What you say about the RD heavy weights? I can get one for $300 shipped.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9955
Do not tune a DD below 38-40. There is no significant increse in low end output and you will lose a ton of SPL.

I used to have a 9515. That sub in a large box is amazingly loud.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
It says on there site 33hz. But anyways if I tune er lets say 39 or whatever will it hit lows crazy still?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Will a DD still hit the lows well and the highs. I'm looking for a sub to hit many frequencies.

Bronze Member
Username: A12voltman80

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 25
hw>9500

DD subs are not the best driver for lows. Not saying you can't force them to go low.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Well, I like the low's the most, well if I tune the box around 36 will it still get loud and get fairly good lows.

Or should I jsut get a whole differnt sub?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
What about the SSA Icon 15" or Ascendant Audio Havoc?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Would 2 Fi Q's fit in a 7.9 cubic foot box. And also tuned to 31.8hz?

Also I know I will get awesome SQ, but what about SPL?

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1736
if there 15's then yes and it will be crazy loud if powered correctly. id give the pair 2.5-3kw's

Gold Member

Post Number: 2607
It has been mentioned a few times on this thread that the DD is nnot the ideal sub for the lows.. If you can get a HW for 300, then by all means, jump on it, If you can afford the power that it craves. What size and V.C. configuration is the one that you can get for 300?

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Dual 2, Custom with 4'' Coils, Can hadnle 4k daily /22k tone bursts

15" sub also.

One more thing.

I can get 2 15" Dc lvl 4's with lvl 5 coils for $500 never seen power. How are those ones.

And are the RD HW good with lows?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2609
As far as I know and last I heard from Steve(the owner of RD) The HW's do not have 4 in. VC's( but I could be wrong in the sense that it may be an option) The HW's are good all the way around (power, install , and enclosure considering)
And can handle alot more that 4k on tones. but why would you be specific on the 22 hz. tone? You can get better numbers on higher freq's in just about any enclosure.
Sean or Scott would be the local DC sounds guys.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
How about tuned around 38hz for a RD HW

Gold Member

Post Number: 2611
32-35 hz will be more musical.

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLside, Pronounced: ... U.S.A.

Post Number: 591
Where can you get a heavyweight for $300?

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
It's sold now, but I found one for $450

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
So i finally ordered a sub! I ordered a 15" Fi Bl! Hopefully it will pound! Still have a quick question!

I ordered the dual 1 ohm, and I have a Jl 1000/1 amp that I will be using for a while. WIll this amp be fine for that sub? And what should I wire the sub to?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us