Question about Alpine 12" R series

Username: Sugarmaine

Post Number: 1
I have 2 aplineR 12" 2ohm subs and gonna hook them up to a mtx thunder502. I was wondering if I can wire them parallel at .5 ohms like they show at www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/ Would that even make them sound any better? How should I set it up

Anonymous

you can hook those two subs to the amp with a 2 ohm mono load. and as i recall, most mtx amps only are stable to 2 ohms in mono load. and if the amp is stable at .5 ohms, then .5 ohms would be better cuz it will draw more power, which then would make the subs sound louder.

Post Number: 2
Ahh ok, thanks for the info. Does anyone know if the thunder502 can have the subs wired at .5? I looked through the owners manual and stuff and couldnt find anything about it

Bronze Member
Username: Livinlow

Post Number: 21
no it is not stable at .5 ohms, its only stable down to 2 ohms.

Post Number: 3
awesome... one more question: I got the Rockford Fosgate type RF 4gauge installation kit... which of these wires do I use to wire the subs? do I use the big roll of speaker wire which is like two wires together ======= or do I use the little roll of wire? www.rockfordfosgate.com product CP4CKDS if you dont know what im talkin about. btw I appreciate everyones help 8) heh

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 182
Yeah, use the roll of speaker wire. The "little roll" is the amp remote turn-on lead.

Post Number: 4
Here's my problem... my subs are 300watts rms, and the amp I'm getting is 180x2 at 2ohms.. I ordered the amp from the internet.. it hasn't arrived yet but after I'ved researched this stuff more I don't think that amp will get me my money's worth out of the subs; So should I go through all the bs of sending the amp back once it gets here and get a new one? If so which amp should I get? OR Is the mtx thunder502 going to be good enough I shouldn't worry about it and just use that one?

My friend told me something about having a 4 channel amp and DVC subs you can wire one coil to each channel and have "dynamic sound." That sounded pretty cool, but I don't know enough about this stuff to make a good descision...

The system will be going in a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport; If I shouldn't stick with the thunder502 then what's the best set-up I should go with? I don't want to spend over 300 on an amp (thunder564 4-channel is like $267 at Circuit City and has something like 280x2)
I could do like 330ish at the very most for the amp though... I just dont know what to buy cause I know you can wire the DVC subs a ton of different ways and I've heard of 2 amps, one Mono, 2 channel, and 4 channel.... which doesnt really narrow it down.

Please give me any advice you can about the situation! 8)

Oh and Jonathan.. with that speaker wire.. you know how it's 2 wires together.. when wiring the subs would I use the whole thing as one wire or pull them apart? am I even making sense?

Username: Artofaccuracy

Post Number: 10
you pull them apart and put the dark one on the dark side and light one on the light side

Username: Alpinepower

Canada

Post Number: 6
a mtx amp is an not a good amp for true clean power, if you dont want to ruin your hearing than spend the money on a better amp, I have had 2 alpine r12's im my car, believe me they can take a beating, your amp will not adequately power those subs, you will turn the power all the way up, the sound will distort, you will not be satisfied.

Then again you are not trying to push this sound through a backseatif you have a suv, suggest bandpass box for better air movement and alpine amp from second hand store, looks dont matter, sound quality does. If all you want to do is be heard miles away and u dont care about what it sounds like, go buy a boss or legacy 2400watt amp (the power rating is not rms and it will sound like crap, but what affect are u after?)

Post Number: 5
The affect I'm after isn't to be heard miles away heh, I just want to get my moneys worth out of the subs with a good amp.. basically push them as close to the 300w rms as I can I guess... I dont want an amp that's gonna burn the subs up ya know. So what amp should I go with? I know there are tons of different kinds and different set ups, but I just want it to sound the best it can without spending over 300ish on the amp

Anonymous

you should get a JBL 600.1 it will do the trick. It cost around $220.00. Use option 2 on the website to get a 2 ohm load from them and they will hit hard.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=2&impedance=DVC2x2

And you can get the JBL 600.1 here

www.sounddomain.com

Post Number: 6
Oh so if you got 2 subs with a 300w rms... then a 600w rms x 1 amp would push both of em with 300w?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 236
You won't get sound quality out of a bandpass box, bandpass is strictly for SPL at a certain center frequency, and sound like crap for people who actually listen to music. Sealed boxes are usually the best for sound quality and a smooth, flat response. MTX amps aren't bad at all, really they're better than a lot of Alpine Class D amps, the cheaper Alpines tend to get hot. You can try that and see if it's enough power, and send it back if you're not happy. My choice for a good, reliable, cheap subwoofer amp is a JBL 600.1. It'll put out 600+ RMS (300 to each sub) at 2 ohms (or 1 ohm) and is $200 or less online.

Post Number: 7
Sweet, thanks for the help guys, I went to sound domain and read all the reviews for the JBL and I think I'm gonna go with that one... now I just gotta mail this mtx one back gah 8(

Anonymous

yes Aaron that JBL600.1 would push them 300 watts each. Really it would be a little more cause the JBLs are underrated.

Anonymous

yes Aaron that JBL600.1 would push them 300 watts each. Really it would be a little more cause the JBLs are underrated.

Bronze Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 63
i have alpine 12 r's as well. and yes, they do take a beating. i'm running 800 watts rms to them, and they're doing fine in a ported box. that jbl sounds good. a monoblock amp, or a 2 channel amp that's stable at 2 ohms mono would be fine. just wire your subs to 2 ohms together.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us