Weird noise from sub at low hz????

Username: Trillaa

Post Number: 2
I got a 12" RE SX in a ported box tuned to 32hz with 850 watts to the sub.

I opened to trunk to check out the sub in action and when hitting very low notes it seems to make a noise like air is being pushed. It sounds as if someone was pushing down on a foot pump or squeezing a fireplace breather at the same speed the sub is moving.

I was playing the song late night tip by three six mafia and it was making the noise when it hit the lowest bass tone in the song, but not any other time. Inside the car it sounds completely fine and the low notes hit crazy but is this potentially bad for the sub?? Or what is causing this, and if possible can i fix it to make the sub sound better?? (although i have no complaints on how it currently sounds.)

Silver Member
Username: Marcooo

Post Number: 330
Port noise?
Not sure just my guess.
Is the box custom built to RE's specs?

Gold Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s,PG Xenon 400.1, 135.5dbs!!!!

Post Number: 1044
maybe the box isnt sealed?

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2850
the sub is not screwed in all the way

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1942
sounds like the box isn't sealed, I don't think it's the sub.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4082
I heard a weird noise from my box yesterday, come to find out it had a crack in the baffle, go figure.. Polo. :-O

Username: Trillaa

Post Number: 3
the box is built to RE specs. Its not port noise, and i checked all the glues to make sure it was sealed before i screwed it in. its coming from the area of the sub itself. I think its the sub isn't screwed in all the way. In fact when i first heard it thats what i thought the problem was, but i decided to get some knowledgeable input before i proceeded with my lack of experience in car audio

It also makes sense for the sub not to be screwed in becuase there is not nearly the amount air power coming from the vent than i had expected.

The front of the box is double faced making it 1-1/2" mdf and when i screwed the sub in i didn't drill pilot holes all the way through and only used 1" screws. Should i just get 2" screws and go all the way through or just screw in the 1" screws a little more?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us