Kenwood DDX6019 dvd bypass parking brake help?

Username: Hersch

Post Number: 1
I just had a Kenwood DDX6019 unit installed in my Blazer and was hyped thinking i could have a dvd playing while driving. What a major disappointment when i realized that these things only work when the parking brake is engaged. I'm obviously new to these types of units and hoped to find some kind of solution on here.

I've searched through the forum and done a fair amount of reading but have not been able to find any bypass help. Is there any help for me? If at all possible, preferably something that is permanent and can be done without pulling out the unit cause i'm not install tech savvy. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 419
I just grounded the parking break wire on my Kenwood KVT-617. But now that it's hooked up to your parking break it might be a bit of a pain to get to. You may be able to find the wire behind the unit, cut it and then splice a new length of wire to it and ground it to any bare metal on the floor pan or frame. Not positive this method works on ALL Kenwood units but I know it works for mine and on a bunch of other models.

Username: Ibn80

Post Number: 3
Just connect the solid green wire and the ground wire on the radio together and that solves the problem for all indash tv/dvd radios

Post Number: 2
thanks for the help guys but does anyone know of any method using the remote so that i don't have to pull out the unit or cut any wiring?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 439
It doesn't work that way with the Kenood units as far as I know.

Post Number: 4
I still haven't been able to find any remote control codes that can be used to bypass the parking brake feature. Nor i have been able to find a friend who can ground the brake wire for me as suggested here. BUT a friend suggested pushing down the parking brake just slightly to engage the switch without actually engaging the brake. I tried it and the light comes on on my dash indicating the parking brake is engaged although its not actually on and guess what, he was right. I now have video. That was a cool little trick and i thought i'd share it here cause i haven't seen anyone suggest that one yet.

Username: Marco85

Saint louis, Mo

wired the green wire to ground an didnt work any suggentions

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 489
marco, which Kenwood unit are you running? Is it the same as herch? I know on my 617 the parking break wire is Green like Roderick said and mine was labeled PRK SW. Check your manual or look it up on the Kenwood site (here) to figure out which wire is the parking break on yours. Also, be sure you have a good ground. Some people splice the parking break wire and the ground wire together but I ran them to different places on my install. As far as I know most recent Kenwoods work this way but I wouldn't be surprised if they've changed that in the newer models to prevent people from doing this.

Username: Jkozay58

Laurel, MD USA

I just Bought the Kenwood DDX6019 DVD player. I gounded the parking break wire and still no picture on the dvd player. Anyone have any ideas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us