How to securely screw into car sheet metal???

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 911
anyone know how to do this. just about every time i try to i strip/bend the metal so that it no longer holds the screw and even if i do get it to work it usually dosnt hold very well.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4016
Then your not using sheet metal screws. I just drill a pilot hole and use the screw to finish it. Most good sheet metal screws are self tapping, never had a problem...Polo..

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 912
i am using sheet metal screws its just that the sheet metal is shitty and bends really easy.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12945
then use a bolt & nut ....

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 913
i have no way of getting a wrench on the other side of the metal.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4017
Then don't overtighten them! They make everyones cars out of the same metal as yours, your the only one with this problem hahaha lmfao.. Polo.. :-O

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5899
Yeah, drill pilot hole and use self tapping sheet metal screws, you shouldn't have a problem.

The only time I ever had a problem drilling through sheet metal was when I was drilling two 3/4" holes for 2 runs of 1/0 wire, in a non-flat spot.......

Username: Prostreetamx

Las Vegas, NV United States

Post Number: 7
Use nutzerts and machine screws. Nutzerts are installed in a hole and installed with a tool that is similar to a rivet gun. They expand and lock into place from the front. You don't need to get at the back.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3328
toggle bolts, hollow wall anchors, locktite, or proper screw incertion practice.

What are you screwing into? tin foil? I use fine thread drywall screws and have never had a problem. I also use self tapping "tech" screws to predrill if nessisary.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 953
idk i guess my car has shitty sheet metal or somthing becsue the screws directly into the metal do not hold no matter how hard i try it simply just strips out the fine threaded sheetmetla scresa and the heaver threded screws just bend the metal and the screw falls out.

Richard thoes nutzerts sound like what i need. where can i get them?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4031
There is no such thing as fine threaded sheet metal screws, dude your using the wrong sh!t. The self tapping don't even require a hole, it makes its own. I have metal screw with 5" L bracket holding my box down, will never move, never loosen guarranteed ... Polo.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 955
well i was just reffering to the thred being finer than other screws i have tried. and i know what a self tapping screw is thoes are what i tried to use the first time but the hole just bent out instead of tapping isk it was werid. i think it might have to do with the fact that the metal i am trying to screw into is not flat be any means it sort of is like convexed out a little bit.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4033
Pictures?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 956
maybe tommrow if i get home at a reasonable hour i have class in the am from 8am-830pm and its already 11 where im at now so im bout to go to bed friday i can put some up tho if i dont already fix it by then (most likely wont be able to).

Username: Prostreetamx

Las Vegas, NV United States

Post Number: 10
I got my Nutzerts off Ebay along with the tool to install them . Use the steel versions as the aluminum ones rip out the threads when you install them. The kit will come with aluminum zerts but buy some steel ones seperatly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us