JL Audio 8w7 vs. SS RL-i

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1996
I have a pair of Soundsplinter RL-i 8" subs. I love them and was curious as to how they would compare to the JL 8w7. I have never heard this sub before. Based on price, I would assume maybe the JL is superior, but that assumption could be very wrong. Anyone have experience with this sub that can do a little comparison. Thanks guys.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16595
w7>rl-i

2 different league of subs.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1998
Booo...wrong answer Chad haha

So would the W7 win in SPL and SQ?

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16598
come on man. lol. the w7 is the jl's flagship model and the rl-i is soundsplinter's entry level model.

i couldn't really tell you about the sq or the spl of the rl-i but the 8w7 is a beast.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2000
I guess. Sorry, bad question. I know everyone is always impressed by the SS subs and people always say that there is better for the money when looking into JL. I figured a $200 SS sub may come close to a $260 JL sub.

Silver Member
Username: Mark872

2 Type X 12s, Hughes S..., Texas

Post Number: 218
hmm...looks like i might have to go with some 8w7's. even though i said id never go with JL. The 8w7 says 300 watts rms...would it be ok with 500???

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16721
i heard a pair of these in a nissan sentra and it was loud. i swear i thought he had a pair of 12s in there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
realy? what kinda amp did he have

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1653
woulnt be interested in trading those for an arsenal 12 and some cash would you?

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16728
he had a kicker kx1200.1. the subs were wired at 1.5ohm together so he was seeing around 1000wrms. those little beasts took all of it and love it. lol.

it was loud man. even the low end was impressive for a pair of 8s.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
how do you think 2 8w7's on 1000 watts rms would compare to 2 type x 12's on 2000 rms...but it was on stock alt. so i was probably gettin more like 1500 rms

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16738
the type x would be louder man. come on. no comparison. but if you like to have some extra space while getting pretty loud, the 8w7 would be awesome.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2195
i installed a pair of w7 8s in an escape on a sx 900.2 getting bout 400 is a pair ... and it was doing 138s on tl all day long ..

great 8 inch woofer .. costly tho

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
what about the DD 1508? havnt heard much about it..but seen a couple vids on youtube and looks pretty good. still tryin to find what would get louder, either one 12 facin up port back or two 8s facing the rear. off of 1000 watts, any help would be really apriciated

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2006
It's all up to you. What 12" are you referring to? I can tell you that my two 8" SS RL-i are as loud as my 12" L7. L7s have some pretty good SPL. Do what you want, but I would encourage you to still consider the Soundsplinters (even if they are not mine). They are amazing subs and you won't be disappointed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us