Expensive new system

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

You can call me Scroog...

Post Number: 3483
Okay. My friend has 3 grand to spend on a system for his 2008 Mustang. He wants a ridiculous SQ system that has a lot of guts. He wants it to be loud when he wants to it, but he wants to have sound quality at all times. He needs components, HU, wiring, sub(s), and installation. He is getting the install done professionally because he has to, but let me hear some ideas on what you think should be done. Thanks boys.

Oh yeah, He can use Ebay.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

ASU

Post Number: 2303
Are we upgrading the alt. or no?

Gold Member

ASU

Post Number: 2304
No new alt...

Speakers- Hertz Hi-Energy 3way $500
Amp- Audison LRX 2.250 $370
Subs- (2) Image Dynamic IDQ 12s $500
Amp- Audison LRX 1.400 $340
Battery- Kinetik HC1400 $230

That would leave around 1000 bucks for a HU, wires, install.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1278
"He is getting the install done professionally because he has to"

Why? It wasn't hard at all to put a stereo in my Mustang.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/383236.html

He can get the pdf from crutchfield that tells you everything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3484
well he wants a really nice custom install...

jake... i like where your head is at, but i think he will wan more SPL than that... got any more suggestions...

i will ay he wants 60/40, SPL/SQ

Gold Member

ASU

Post Number: 2305
You could change the subs around but if you put anymore power youll have to upgrade the alt and what not. If the shop is going to do anything custom he better be ready to pay at least 500 bucks. At least around here you would have to...

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2005
"Are we upgrading the alt. or no?"

That was never answered and would help tremendously.

All I know is I wish I had that much money for an install.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1279
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/graphics/download/sample_0190011-a.pdf

Gold Member

Post Number: 3485
upgraded alt is possible... i think he really wants 1 12 or 1 15 in the back... so throw me a bone off that...

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1280
I have that 12" Soundsplinter RL-s that I just bought off of Chad. If your friend has any parts for the Mustang, or other stuff to trade, let me know.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 976
speakers- Those Hz 3way for $500 sound good
speaker amp- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rockford-Fosgate-Power-T600-2-2-Channel-Amplifier -Slim_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38638QQihZ010QQitemZ200189013726QQrdZ1QQsspagen ameZWDVW
Rockford 600.2- a little more power than he'd need but it leaves room for flexibility $340 shipped (or a sundown 100.2 would match the amps if he's going for show as well, and bridged at 4 ohms would give him tons of power.

sub- Fi car audio Q 15 with BP option- $319
sub amp- Sundown 1500 - MSRP $599, but you know you can find them cheaper.
OR heres an MD3d for 300 shipped: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13437
WAYY more power than he'll need, but for the price why not run it at 2 ohms on that Q?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6472
"He wants a ridiculous SQ system that has a lot of guts."

He needs more money IMO. Considering a set of ridiculous components is easily over $1000.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16715
12w7 in a ho box.......$900
jl 1000/1v2............$700
jl 300/2v2.............$300
JL Audio ZR650-CSi.....$450

total..................$2350

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16716
^^^^^^that system will even WOW the noobs that don't know too much about car audio. lol. its jl audio. its world famous. lol.

Gold Member

ASU

Post Number: 2306
"^^^^^^that system will even WOW the noobs that don't know too much about car audio. lol. its jl audio. its world famous. lol"

haha.

I guess i had the wrong idea when i read your explanation of what he wanted... You made it sound like he wants more SQ than SPL.

Try and find a 9512 on ebay or other forums and continue from there.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2370
2 JL 300/2's
2 DIamond S600s Comp Sets
1 JL 1000/1
2 ported 13w6's
Premier 790, 980, or 880
Kicker PKD1 along with sweet rca's

Gold Member

Post Number: 3486
okay well i was a little drunk last night i didn't explain it very well... i understand "ridiculous SQ" is a little out of the question. he wants some 60/40 SPL/SQ... he wants it to thump, but still sound good. the guy doesn't know much and he pretty much only listens to rap so finding good SQ subs for rap isn't that hard. I don't wanna go with generic sh!t for him, but if thats the case then i could recommend that...

Mark, he has no parts, he's getting the car in next week. I think he will want to keep his stock alt. Batteries are a go.

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1197
JBL BPX 2200.1 $350 + ship on ca.com

(2) JBL GTi 10's $450 shipped ebay

JBL 660GTI 6.5"2-Way Competition Components $999

http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/660GTI/detail.asp

JL Audio 300/2V2 $350 local dealer

$2150

Your not gonna get any better than this, it will blow ANYTHING in this price range straight out of the f****ng water

The JBL Components are SQ competition winner Quality, the JBL Gti's get loud and are some the of the best sounding subs available on the market.

/thread

Gold Member

Post Number: 1198
Oh yeah and head-unit

ALPINE CDA-9887 $309 shipped

Gold Member

ASU

Post Number: 2309
"Your not gonna get any better than this, it will blow ANYTHING in this price range straight out of the f****ng water"

...ehh...

In that price range you could get Dynaudio, Rainbow, DLS, CDT, Hertz, Morel, and Boston Acoustics that I would rather get than those JBLs...And yes I've heard the 660s and and the 560s. Good but not the best.

I do like the GTi subs tho, ive only heard the 12s...not 10s.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16733
get the damn $2500 focal utopias and call it a day. hahaha.

Silver Member
Username: Marcooo

Post Number: 193
If your not gettin a HO alt I'd save my money and stick with the regular battery...

And if you want SQ only get one set of comps for the front

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 160
^x2 but no amp, just run them off the headunit

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6477
Check the for sale thread Reece there's a few things your buddy can use there.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 161
mark u messed up my post...jerk

jk

Gold Member

Post Number: 3487
Well, now he's saying in wants a double DIN DVD unit. Some things might have to take a hit. I kind of like the idea of the JBL Gti for the sub stage. I've heard the JBLs and they sound nice and have pretty good output, but he could only run one, or he would need some extra batteries. He is probably a lot less picky than me, so I'm trying to come up with something that would be decently loud and have pretty good SQ considering he wants a double din unit now now.

Gold Member

ASU

Post Number: 2310
The Clarion ddin is going for like 650 shipped at wooferetc.

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Murray, Kentucky

Post Number: 2132
Id recommend the Clarion Max675vd...I got one and love it. He'll want an EQ tho prolly, EQ settings on it aren't the best.

-"He is getting the install done professionally because he has to"

Good Idea, b/c being an 08 in most cases it voids most the warranty if you dont have stuff "professionally" done. But even BB and CC qualify as Professionals

Gold Member

Post Number: 1200
"In that price range you could get Dynaudio, Rainbow, DLS, CDT, Hertz, Morel, and Boston Acoustics that I would rather get than those JBLs...And yes I've heard the 660s and and the 560s. Good but not the best. "

I've heard dynaudio, cdt, morel and boston acoustic high end sets. The JBL 660's sounded much better.

Then again it could be all in the install.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1603
http://www.hexibase.com/

Talk to him.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1201
JBL doesn't win all the SQ SQL competitions for no reason

Bronze Member
Username: Jones82joshua

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 35
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18481
clarion max675 Refurbished. $459
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17283 New. $549

Got my 855MP through OCS Refurbed and had no problems with it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Glad I could be of assistance Abarca lol

There's no real point in having an upgraded/extra battery if you don't have a HO alt. The battery only stores the power, doesn't create it. I've heard some people, who know a lot, say an extra battery will help a little with dimming but even they say it hardly makes a difference. In theory it shouldn't make any difference on your battery if the one you have is in good working condition.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't extra batteries only useful for starting up your car and for listening when your car is off?

MS knows a lot about that so I'm sure he'll back me up lol....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1202
"And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't extra batteries only useful for starting up your car and for listening when your car is off?"

Yep, if you don't have the power to re-charge the batteries it simply wont cut it (it will help, but your just trying to avoid the main problem - charging).. extra batteries are best put to use when the car off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Thanks mike I guess you can take MS's place for now lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
And Reece I suggest you convince your friend to get a new alt if he wants it to get loud. I had 1000 watts, any higher and my lights most likely would've started dimming, on my Q when I had a stock alt and it sounded great and got pretty loud, but wasn't loud enough for me lol.
And your comp amp won't help your alt out either.

And I'm guessing the Mustang's alt will be smaller than mine, which was in the low 100's amp wise.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3488
I'm pretty sure I know a little bit about charging... I have a 250 amp alt, but he is wanting to stick around 1500 wattts tops, and with a kinestic 1800 under the hood, he can push that with a stock alt, non-issue. but yeah, i'm still baffled as to what to recommend him. I like a lot of the ideas, but I guess I'll need to see what he thinks. I know (regardless of what I tell him) he will not like spending a lot of money on comp amps. I think he should go with a 500 0or less set of comps. 300 amp for them. 1000 for subs or less.. (probably much less). 400+ amp for them. 1000 for HU. rest for install.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
1500 watts on a stock Mustang alt and IMO he'll have electrical problems. And make sure that Kinetik can fit up front before you buy it. Don't know how much room Mustangs have for a battery, but the 1400 might be a better choice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3489
Mark, believe me i'm not incompetant about charging systems. i used to have an 05 mustang GT before I traded it in. I'm not gonna lead my man wrong, but I had 1500 watts on my stock alt (105 amps) with no problems.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1608
If he wants to spend $3k, he might as well do it right and get an enclosure designed for his car. JMO, but you know.

http://hexibase.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
Alright man it's your friend's car just sayin, the first week I had my Q in my lights were dimming because the shop I went to set the gains really high, it was clean power though, and I have no idea how much power was going to it, but I'd guess 1500-1700 watts. Not sure how many amps my stock alt was, 03 Ford Escape, but I'm guessing 100-125.
Never went to that shop again btw. They went out of business a month later.

I mean 250 (db electrical on eBay if they make a HO alt for his car) - 500 doesn't seem like much to me for an alt when you got 3k to blow.
Again JMO, but if your friend's dead set on a stock alt guess I'm just preaching to the choir (hope I used that right...) lol

And cam any idea how much it is for one of those boxes? I was thinking about e-mailing him for a quote on a box for 2 12" Fi Q's...
For the somewhat distant future lol

Gold Member

ASU

Post Number: 2312
"JBL doesn't win all the SQ SQL competitions for no reason"

Not to be a d!ck Mike...but noone with JBL speakers finished in the top 10 at IASCA world finals in SQ. In MECA there was a few guys that placed in the top 3 in mod/mod+ but thats about it. I see more of there processors than speakers.

Im not sure about the last few years tho because i just started getting into SQ comps last year. I also dont know too much about USACI comps...maybe thats where all the JBL guys hangout. Ive only been to one USACI comp ever and they only had 2 SQ competitors...haha. Not worth the drive.

Gold Member

ASU

Post Number: 2314
Cam, do you know how much a basic enclosures from Pete costs? Just curious...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3493
I heard boxes from pete cost at least 300+

Gold Member

ASU

Post Number: 2315
I bet. Hes pretty well known in the sub world.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1612
I really hope he gets paid well. If it's a little much, you can always buy blueprints and build it yourself; that's my plan.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3495
Okay well I've narrowed it down to the JBL, IDMax, SI Mag, and 3515 for the sub. Up in the air on the amp. For comps I'm liking the Hertz 3-way, but I'm not sure on the amp. I'm not positive what double din to recommend though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us