Amps blowing up

Username: Sid_vicious

Post Number: 1
interesting question here.
i wanted to install a system that would be easy to remove from a 98 merc sable.used speaker boxes w amp bolted to it and used high level outputs from factory tuner.
this setup blew up 3 amps[you'd think i would've learned after the first one blew but i had spare amps so i just kept replacing].
amps varied from pioneer to sanyo to alpine. The really weird thing here is that it sounded fairly good and amp would only blow up after i left car at the airport for a few days...overnight would be ok. I'll bet if i installed a switch in the power cable i would have been ok but all i want to know is why????
thanks in advance

Post Number: 2
forgot to mention what i mean by blowing up. what happens is it works fine unless you leave car parked for a few days. if left off after afew days when you get in car and turn on stereo you'll get a slight pop and amp fuse will blow. once this has happened the amp is screwed. fixed it once and the left channel had blown.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 919
your sure u werent running the amps at to low of a load?

Post Number: 3
nope. load was not an issue. weird thing is that damage would occur only when car sat for a few days.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3190
Were you just swapping out? or did you redo the ground each time? It may be a groundig issue.

Post Number: 5
was just swapping out. ground issue does seem to make sense...i'll look into it
thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us