OT: Clamp multimeters

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 161
So im thinkin i need one for a xmas present. I figure i could use it everywhere, from the car to my house wiring.

However i need one that will clamp read AC amps and DC amps, which seems to be a hard thing to find.

does anyone have any suggestions for one? Also, do they read insignificant amounts of power? like less then an amp?

Thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1047
my step dad has one, but I wouldn't be able to take a look at it til later this week. I believe we are on the same page. I'll let you know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
sweet, thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2234
huh...i thought about all of them would clamp read ac and dc but i guess not?

if you want insignificant amounts that will just be based on the dmms precision like .00, .000, or .0000

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4471
There are plenty of those meters that will measure both AC and DC amperage.

Stop looking at cheap ones and you will find them. The ones that can measure DC amperage have a hall effect sensor in them. They are more expensive.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5579
iv got a DMM and an add on that plugs into it with an amp clamp on the end. its great for everything iv needed so far. its snap on though so it will cost you.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 5656
I have a Craftsman Professional, forgot the modle # though. Reads AC and DC current and you can get a temp gauge to add on to it. Cost me ~$100 when I got it.

Nice meter, but take a 2-3sec to self adjust to power range being tested. EX: 1-20v, 20-200v, etc.

Nice meter over all, I have tested it against higher end Flukes and it was dead on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
awesome, thanks for the suggestion. I may just have to point the parents to that one if i can find it on the site.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5580
yeah i would look into a fluke if you want something that will last you forever. i just got the snap on because i get half off

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3167
make sure you check what DV amps it will read to. Alot of the cheaper ones only read 10-20 amps DC.
Some one here posted a link recently for a decent one that was about $100. It was a decent one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us