Popping noise comming from Head Unit

Bronze Member
Username: Vivi2000

Post Number: 12
I have a Panasonic CQ-DF583U and It is doing some wierd stuff. Last week I though I blew my sub but now i have second thoughts(dont have anyone elses car to test it). I was making crackly and popping noises whenever I played a song, although i could still play constant bass, just not bass hits(like for beats and bass drums). But now even with my amp and sub turned off, whenever I do anything on my HU(change songs, switch from Radio-CD, change eq settings, etc) it make a lout pop from the speakers. It wasnt doing this last week though. Does anyone know what the problem may be and how I can fix it?

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 747
typically the "pop" is normal, some just cut the signal then resume it others like my newer pioneer is silent. if it started all this out of the blue and ur gains on the amp arent screamed to the max and abused. chances are u have a wire that came undone on the hu that's grounding out. or the headunits going, i never new panisoni to make anything great in car audio i say scrap it go for a pioneer.lastly u can test by taking a ipod or portable cd player and using a adapter from radioshack and plug directly into the amp. or why the woofer is off push gently on the center of the woofer cone and listen for scratching or etching noise. if u here nothing the woofer is prob fine. if u hear something it's most likly toast, list what kind of woofer it is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
The woofer doesent scratch and the surround doesent have any holes in it. But i dont have my speakers amped, just off the HU. Ill take a look and see if anything looks wrong to me(I didnt install the HU and havent ever before so i might not notice it). And this sound happens even with my amp turned off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 749
well yea cause ur speakers are wired to the hu. it's possible that whatever speakers are hooked to it over taxed the radio and frired the radios internal amp, and i think the woofers fine. another thing, when u look at your radio there should be a area where u see the radio splice into the cars. thats where u need to look. if you find just bare wires twisted together like so many installers do you need to eletrical tape them i recommend solder then tape.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Ok, I jsut checked it out, Everything looked fine to me(i couldnt see any bare wires) but its to cold out now and dark and rainy to do any more. I turned the gain all the way down on the amp and the noise seemed to go away. But after i ched the wires out the noise was only coming from one speaker(front left) not the other 2 I have in the rear. Could it be that the speaker is blown and i should just take it out? Im going to try it either way tomorrow. Thanks for the help also.

Silver Member

Post Number: 750
if it's one speaker that speaker can have a grounding issue that's causing it. check the wires to that speaker and where the contacts are going on the back. cause u might screw the speaker in and the contacts touch the car body. lastly i take it u don't know how to set your gains?? you don't just crank it up to max u have to put the radio 3/4s way up and ether use a multimeter or listen by ear to determin distortion then if u hear distortion turn it down a few notches to avoid clipping. btw please list the subwoofers brand and size.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us