Stupid JL questions for a complete car audio simpleton. RE: HELP

Username: Twelve0six

Cushing, Iowa

Post Number: 1
Ok, pretty simple. This is my first post. Im a farmer from Iowa and i know essentially nothing about car audio other than I can wire up a CD player, and I just installed my DVD player into my Grand Prix GTP. Now, The factory system just isnt cutting it anymore and I want a little bass. I dont want to have to wrap the car in Dynomat or anything like that, but I want decent bass that'll hit respectably if i want too. Please, bear in mind that im a total newbie, so i wont be able to give you technical answers if you see fit to even ask me technical questions.

THE PLAN:
A buddy of mine has a pair JL Audio 12W3v2's (at least thats what they look like, judging from the pictures on www.jlaudio.com in the discontinued portion)They are in a purchased (not homebrewed, like most iowans do) SEALED AND PORTED box. fairly clean looking setup. 1st, he is asking 150.00 for the whole works. <- Is he trying to despoil my car audio neglegence? 2nd, If that is a poor deal, what do i need to keep me under a 250 dollar range for 2 12's and a box? C. Lets say the JL's are a good deal, remeber, i know nothing about RMS (or whatever) So i'll just call it Wattage. What Wattage of amplifier do i need to power those JL's reliably but still give me a good sounding system?

Anyways, in closing, any help in pointing the "new guy" towards or away from a good deal is appreciated. So what's the score?...What's next?

Silver Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 217
First, 12W3V2s are probably something that would work nicely if you just need a little boost in the bass area. Second though, There is no such thing a s a sealed AND ported box. There is either sealed, or ported. If he will cut the price for the subs, minus the box, you can build yourself a box(being on a farm, I assume you have at least skillsaw and a jigsaw). Now, ported gets louder with less sound quality, and sealed isn't as loud but maintains better SQ.

For the price... if they are in good shape, its a good deal. Ebay has a pair of brand new ones for ~270 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/2-JL-AUDIO-12W3-12W3v2-D2-12-SUBWOOFERS-NEW_W0QQitemZ2901611 75568QQihZ019QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For the amp, depending on the coils(should be D2 or D4 I believe), you're going to want something that will give them 300-400 watts each. If they are the D2 configuration, you'll want an amp that puts out around 600-700 watts at 2 ohms. This will give each sub 300-350 watts. For the D4 config, you'll want an amp that puts out your 600-700 at 1 ohm.

I hope I helped, at least a little.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2635
Are they dual 2ohm,dual 4ohm or dual 6ohm?

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 282
If you can have your friend pull them out of the box, it should say what kind of sub they are. Is that box you are talking about a Q-logic box with a removable port cover? Do you need an amp or is this guy throwing in the amp too?

Silver Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 480
Shawn... get a pair of 12 inch ehqs. they are 50 dollars each sub and they would be perfect for what you are looking for. get a sealed box also from ed made for the subs and you'll be golden and way less then 250. for the amp buy a mono class d amp that does 300-400 watts rms.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=183
subs

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-ZX300-1-300-WATT-MONOBLOCK-AMPLIFIER-NEW-06-AMP_W0QQi temZ140158889906QQihZ004QQcategoryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
amp

and your done :-)

Silver Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 481
the jl's arent a bad deal though i dont think. but u could also look into what i suggested if u want. good luck

Username: Twelve0six

Cushing, Iowa

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the replies guys...I have no idea about on particulars about the subs. All I know for sure is that they are JL's, and they look identical (when looking at the cone) as the 12W3v2's on JLaudio's discontinued subwoofer section.

The box looks like its in good shape, and if i'd been using my brain i would have realized that sealed and ported doesnt make sense. <- DOH

He doesnt have an amp that he'd sell me, I know that whatever amp he had powering the 12's he now powers 3 10's with, but that probably doesnt help much.

How do i find out if they are D2 or D4? Remember, i have no idea what i'm looking at.

Thanks again!
Shawn

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6209
take a look at the bottom of the sub and it mite say....

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 290
Those old school JL's all look the same to me. Id be sure they are w3's before I did anything.

Bronze Member
Username: Joelrobichaud360

Bouctouche, New-Brunswick

Post Number: 15
Hey there ! ..What would be the perfect amp to get the most power out ou this kicker sub ???>.>

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-07-KICKER-S15L7-SOLOBARIC-15-2000W-SUB-4-OHM-DVC_W0QQitem Z290164499553QQihZ019QQcategoryZ18804QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us