HT Fi.Q box size?

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1658
I am most likly buying a used Fi.Q 15" and i was wondering for a HT setup how big should the box be and what should it be tuned to

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12845
Talk to Paul

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 144
mine is 12 cuft and tuned to like ~13.5 hz. very very impressive for movies.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1963
5.0 cubes tuned to 27

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1079
6 cubes tuned to 25

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4897
"mine is 12 cuft and tuned to like ~13.5 hz. very very impressive for movies."

Wow...lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12198
12cuft !!! wtf - wont that bottom out ? ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 4909
"12cuft !!! wtf - wont that bottom out ? ...."

Depends on what kind of power he's running...but I dunno I've never run one of those subs in an enclosure like that to say for myself lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
i have ~1200watts going to it. never bottomed it out, will never happen as its amp limited. surprising that it dosent bottom, but it dosent.

the box is called a LLT, Large and Low Tuned. it is really one of the best HT subs i have ever heard, almost on par musically to the JL fathom. very amazing watching any action movie, especially like War of the worlds or master and commander. Sub-sonics rule.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4910
Can we get some pictures of that setup Steve?I'm sure everyone would love to see that setup. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Sure.

Here are general pics of my setup.

www.ccdoggy.net/room

please ignore the cleanliness of the sub, i need to clean it a bit and still need to fix the interior edge of the brushed aluminum. and you all know how the camera seems to make everything look dirtier then they really are.

I am an aspiring audiophile and this is what i currently got hooked up:
Arcam avr-300 reciever
Denon dvd player
EuroPower amp for the sub
Center channel is a Klipsch RC-64
Left and right are NHT classic Threes
Rears are aiperon audio speakers

I have a projector that shoots onto that space above the center channel, but i still need to make a screen for it.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10129
I'm starving for a projector myself. Interesting design with the sub. How's port firing up working for you? I have kids and that would always lead to something getting thrown down it lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4916
Yea...port upward in an HT setup seems like it wouldn't perform properly but you'd know better than me.Paul you should get a projector :-) My brother's HT setup is pretty fuggin sick,I'll try to get pics.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10131
I have the perfect wall for it too. If I do go the projector route the $$$ I would get for my big screen would offset the cost. Run a few cables and BANG! 9' screen here we come! The more I think about it the simpler my decision becomes lol.

And Steve, you showed me yours, here's mine.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
well the port really only comes into play at like ~20hz and down and at that point the direction does not really matter nearly as much if it wasent into sub-sonics. Also there just was no room for it to be in there anywhere else.

I was going to make a grill for the port, but where i currently am im not that afraid of people puttin crap down it.

I just wish i had more room, like maybe a dedicated Theater room, not a theater/bedroom. And i wish all the walls were not plaster and the floor solid wood.

projectors are the way to go. My boss has a $20K Vidikron DLP projector and that is just a dream to look at. Then again i dont know if i could ever justify spending that much on something that does not have 4 wheels.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
looks good Paul. Whats it tuned to and what kinda power you sending to it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1663
I was thinkin i would make my box somewhere between 5-6 ft^3 and somewere around 25hz

sound good?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10132
Mines 9.5cu's @ 28hz powered by a 1000w plate amp. I should've went a tad lower but anything below 30hz in a house can be quite destructive lol. Have a peek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrRGdU9qgk

Snarl, it's going to be hard to dial in what may be perfect for you. With movies you want lower tuning for the explosions and thunder and such. 25hz sounds good to me. Manufacture's specs call for a box 2.8-4 cu's tuned to 28-33hz. Again no doubt ideal for car audio. Steve has his dialed in at 13.5 hz which is amazingly low and close to human hearing tolerances. Music will not go that low so if it's intended for music first movies second don't tune anywhere near that. Experiment with volume before you completely seal it up to your liking. If the volume is too great for your intentions then simply add displacement in the box till you get it just right. Be sure to properly secure it as well lol. Proper tuning can be tricky in HT due to your room's acoustics. Start out a tad large in design and work your way down till it hits the way you want to. Use a port longer than expected and adjust/trim as needed as well. Everyone has an opinion but take my sub into someone else's house and it could sound like sh1t. Like car audio every application is different.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1664
true. I see that you use 3 aeros. Are they flared and what size are they.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1665
also where did you buy your ports?

do you think 2 3" ports would be good for me or should i do 2 4" or 3 3"

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10135
Yes they're flared. 4 3/4". Partsexpress has some adjustable ports available as well, perfect for you. They're snug but not too tight so I can remove one when my kids throw small toys in them, forcing me to have to reach in lol. Partsexpress should give me a discount with all the $$$ I've spent with them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1666
lol.

what combination do you think i should get?:

2 3"
3 3"
2 4"

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10136
Larger the better IMO. Go with the 4". I used this calculator:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Gold Member

Post Number: 1667
Ok i think ive decided. I want to make a 5.5ft^3 box and use 2 4" flared ports 17" long and that will tune to about 34.5hz.

Its a good thing your sub is mounted down so your kids dont like hit it or something. With my SD2 that im currently using i was playing music on it one day and it was at pretty much full extension and a N64 controller fell off the shelf and landed right on the cone and now its all dented and a little seperated by the dust cap...lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1668
I have one more question. How should i mount the sub ports. The box sits on the floor so nothing down firing. The box is behind my TV which is in an entertainment center in the middle of my room. So the sub is almost right in the middle behind my entertainment center.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1669
"How should i mount the sub ports"

i meant to say how should i mount the sub and the ports

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10138
Downfiring for me was my choice because I wanted options in the future for placement changes if needed. The window was just so I could show her off lol. My last design using a Mag had the driver inverted on top surrounded by plexiglass to keep it away from my kids' curious hands and fingers. You might have seen the thread. I loved it but wanted/needed to hear an 18". The Mag also shook apart my plexi enclosure several times so off it came! It was a fun project.

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10139
Is there any other location available? I hear alot of rattling in your future with it behind the entertainment center. If not you really only have left or right. Take your pick.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10140
Another thing. I've learned from experience to keep the sub as far away from your electronics/components/tv as possible. In the pic above the sub shook my big screen something fierce! I had to change it or scrifice my tv. My new sub is 8' away now and it helps a ton. Think of your enviornment and how the sub will impact it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1670
Well this is how my room is setup now.

This pic is from my bed looking at the entertainment center:
Upload

This one is my current sub. It is right behind the entertainment center with sub up port side.
Upload

So should i make the box for the Q with sub up and ports side like this one or mabey sub up vents up. What do you think.

Sorry for the bad pics my room is badly lit and i used my cell phone for the pics.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 549
It needs a box like that in the house. I talked to scott at Fi about an 18" Q in movie theater setup (still in the works) He told me it would be great with about 20ft net tuned around 20hz. You want it to get those lows for h/t setup, so bigger=Better. I'm making a large coffee table with a Q, but I might have to step down to the 15" because of space in the house :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1672
Well i can move the box around alot i just figured it would be best behind the TV. I can movie it further back to the corner of the room or next to my bed in a defferent corner. I would go lower but the ports im buying only come 17" long and for the size of the box im gunna build and 2 4" ports with 17" long it tunes to 24.5 so im hoping thats good.

Mabey i will move the box to the corner of the room next to my bed becuase there is like no junk to raddle there. Or do you think the corner behind the tv is better. Its about 4' away from the tv. you can see it in the top pic on the left side.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10142
So buy a bigger house. I don't see the issue lol.

If you have the $$$ and the wife's permission and the drive an IB is the way to go. We have a 15 year old prodigy here who promises to build one. (Andre). With my small house it's possible, I just don't know how long I might be here. If I knew I might take a stab at it. I have the attic space and God knows I'm crazy enough lol. Imagine (4) 18" subs on 4000w in an IB........

Gold Member

Post Number: 1674
whats an IB

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10143
Really with that small of a room I say away from the tv. Low frequencies are nondirectional so you reall can't "hide" it ecoustically. You only have to worry about how the room's small size will affect output. BTW, what's going to power it, if it hasn't been told b4?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1676
well for now a 500rms plate amp i have, but eventually hopfully a dayton 1000rms plate amp. So how do you think it would work if i did sub up and vents front (kinda like your box but sub up not down)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10144
"whats an IB"

Infinite baffle.

http://www.stereointegrity.com/hometheater.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10147
With low freq's I wouldn't be concerned about which direction it points. If you're going to push 1000w in that room at 25hz you better warn your parents lol. Mine shakes the ENTIRE house.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1680
lol they already hate my SD2 12". They get pissed whenever it is on even the least becuase my room is directly over the living room where they watch tv so i can only play it when they arnt home but neither of them get home till like 6 anyway. Plus they go out alot to dinner and out of town sometimes so i get to play it then. My mom gets pissed at me each time i come home cuz she can hear my subs like .5 mile away with my 2 12" Sd2.5's. I am selling them and i just bought a 9515 and i told her i was downgrading from 2 12"s to 1 15" and she was sorta happy but them she say my new amp which is like 5 times larger then my old amp and how she is kinda skeptical. She probly wont be pleased when i get my new sub

That IB stuff looks awsome but i dont think i would be alowed to do it i think my house might fall apart

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10150
Yeah an IB is sort of an investment in your HT that is pretty much NOT going anywhere lol. But what a feeling........

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1081
so what you're saying paul is that you are afraid to turn up the q or risk breaking your house, but you still need it louder! i love the people here...

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12851
"I'm making a large coffee table with a Q"

I wanna see that!!!

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 550
^I want to build it. I found a good price on a dayton 1kwrms plate amp, I figured downfiring sub, finished off in a dark hardwood like maybe mahogany to match the rest of the furniture. But 16ftnet in the shape I want would be the almost the length of the couch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us